The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

A Clockwork Orange is the only Kubrick that got worse for me on repeat viewings so I'm actually glad it missed. Barry Lyndon, on the other hand...

I loove The Shining (it was in my top 25), but last time I watched it it hit me that Jack Nicholson went cuckoo awfully quick.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

La Vite Bella is wonderful and certainly does not have realized the Holocaust in any way shape or form. As for The Pianist I do think it should have made the list it's an absolutely fantastic film.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I loove The Shining (it was in my top 25), but last time I watched it hit me that Jack Nicholson goes cuckoo awfully fast.

Jack Torrance was always a violent man and had cuckoo Tendencies to him. So he didn't go crazy right away that was just his true personality. He doesn't actually go mental in my opinion until he sees the woman in the room. That is the beginning of his descent.

• Like 1

Yeah, from what I understand it's different in the novel but Kubrick and Nicholson make it clear that their Jack is dangerously close to snapping from the start. The Overlook doesn't so much corrupt him as welcome him home. 

• Like 1

Concerning Kubrick, I have always had The Killing as his best film. Probably, the most unknown (maybe because there are not big stars). But I find incredible what he does and tell us in barely 80 minutes. I recommend it to anyone who have not seen it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Baumer said:

La Vite Bella is wonderful and certainly does not have realized the Holocaust in any way shape or form.

I guess you can say it's a good movie, but it's obviously not a realistic depiction of the Holocaust at all.

If that what you're trying to say?

1 hour ago, cannastop said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yes, that's why the father spent the entire second half of the movie helping his son avoid capture.

1 minute ago, rukaio101 said:
  Hide contents

Yes, that's why the father spent the entire second half of the movie helping his son avoid capture.

You don't avoid capture when you're already in the camp. Are you actually fucking serious now?

Edited by cannastop

If I had handed in my list TDK might have cracked the top5.

So many great films by the way. Aside from Civil War they all deserved to be here I believe. The ones I actually watched, that is.

Edited by Arlborn

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

You don't avoid capture when you're already in the camp. Are you actually fucking serious now?

If the guards don't know you're there, where you are or that you even exist then yes you can avoid fucking capture when you're in the camp.

If there was someone living in my room secretly without my knowledge, then I haven't 'captured' them just because they're in my room.

59 minutes ago, peludo said:

Concerning Kubrick, I have always had The Killing as his best film. Probably, the most unknown (maybe because there are not big stars). But I find incredible what he does and tell us in barely 80 minutes. I recommend it to anyone who have not seen it.

The Killing is very good, but Paths of Glory is better.

Honestly, I prefer early Kubrick simply because he had a better grasp then how long his movies should be.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Nicholson isn't very interesting in THE SHINING. 

What have I told you before about that toe?

Shut the fuck up Chris. :P

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Goffe said:

The Killing is very good, but Paths of Glory is better.

Honestly, I prefer early Kubrick because he had a better grasp then how long his movies should be.

I can live with that. I love Paths too :)

18 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

If the guards don't know you're there, where you are or that you even exist then yes you can avoid fucking capture when you're in the camp.

If there was someone living in my room secretly without my knowledge, then I haven't 'captured' them just because they're in my room.

OK, you obviously haven't read any survivor accounts of the Holocaust. There is no way there could have been a secret child in the beds, given the total lack of privacy for the prisoners in the death camps.

You sound extremely uneducated, really.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Jack Torrance was always a violent man and had cuckoo Tendencies to him. So he didn't go crazy right away that was just his true personality. He doesn't actually go mental in my opinion until he sees the woman in the room. That is the beginning of his descent.

But that's open to interpretation though, isn't it? I mean, we don't know for sure if he was a violent man or had those tendencies prior to the Overlook. To me it seemed like poor characterization that one minute Jack Torrance is a semi-normal husband (it's Jack Nicholson after all), and the next he screams and cusses at his wife.

I don't want to get sucked into this discussion about La vita è bella as I haven't seen it, but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Schleifstein 

Apparently, Joseph Schleifstein was kept hidden from 1943-1945 at Buchenwald.

Again, I'm not saying anything either way about whether or not the film was a realistic depiction of the Holocaust.

• Like 2