WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

I think Central Intelligence is going to be big. The trailers are always getting great reactions before movies and even friends said they can't wait to see it after the TV spots going around right now. Wouldn't be surprised by a We're the Millers-esque run.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just booked my ticket for the ID4 double bill on opening night. Will probably only watch the first one.

Edited by Treetrunk Special
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

At this rate this summer's major wildcards (ID4-2, Central Intelligence, Ghostbusters, and Suicide Squad) will all really underperform.

Those 4 big-budget, starry movies will underperform because of Neighbors 2?

:kitschjob:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

The problem with making adult themed films like nice guys is that there's very little teenage appeal to them because a lot of younger people just know they can get these movies on their Android box or at the flea market or they can legally download them for free. Why spend $12 on a movie that has no spaceships and special effects and superheroes when you can watch it for free about 2 or 3 days after it comes out? That is what the film industry has to deal with now

So cam piracy affects an adult drama 2 or 3 days later,, a demo less likely to download, but an HD rip doesn't affect CA3. Less than 1/2 of the revenue comes from large screens at a premium price. Home theater is just as good to see spaceships as the small screens in theaters.

Numbers are diving and will crash next week without premium screens.

Your contradicting earlier statements. 

• Like 1

Just now, department store basement said:

Not just Neighbors 2, Tree. So-called "big" movies have been underperforming left and right this year.

If most movies are "underperforming" then maybe it is an issue with your expectations. :) 

I mean... I don't see big movies underperforming, with the exception of Batman v Superman.

Deadpool, Zootopia, and Jungle Book are smash hits that far exceeded most people's expectations. Civil War is performing just as expected, while BVS did take a big hit.

If you want to widen the range of "big" to anything with a budget over 25M then sure there have been some disappoints, but that's always the case. I mean even if you look at all wide-release movies, the only ones that have "underperformed" against general expectations are BVS, The Boss, 13 Hours, and Zoolander 2. That's not exactly left right and centre.

Edited by Treetrunk Special
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Just booked my ticket for the ID4 double bill on opening night. Will probably only watch the first one.

I'm going to book for that, but jump ship after the first one and go in to the midnight IMAX screening :lol:

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm going to book for that, but jump ship after the first one and go in to the midnight IMAX screening :lol:

Lol i would do that but I will have work the next morning, can't watch a film that starts midnight. Especially since I am going to have an insanely late night the day after due to the referendum, for which I am doing the overnight count.

From a studio perspective, the problem isn't making NICE GUYS, it's making it for $50m (without marketing) and then throwing into a summer slot. Feels somewhat like OUT OF SIGHT all over again (I haven't seen NG yet so I can't speak to the quality comparison). 

• Like 4

Wow for a May Weekend that's pretty aveage numbers there.   "Angry Birds" should take it, Cap is dropping domestically but 400 should still happen but it's going to be a crawl.   "Neighbors 2" numbers are in line, it's not a huge budget to begin with.   Not great for "Nice Guys" that clearly got lost in the summer shuffle.  I think the release date wasn't good.  This is isn't a summer movie.  more of a fall/winter type film.   Also for people blaming Bootlegs/Screeners for Cap,  Blockbusters aren't affected by praicy on a huge level.   Because of huge marketing, those that will see a blockbuster will see it.  Now could there be an argument that Priracy affects Legs?  Maybe but I think Praicy hurts smaller to mid-tier budget films more as people will stay home instead of going to the theater.  

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

From a studio perspective, the problem isn't making NICE GUYS, it's making it for $50m (without marketing) and then throwing into a summer slot. Feels somewhat like OUT OF SIGHT all over again (I haven't seen NG yet so I can't speak to the quality comparison). 

Best movie eva.

• Like 5

I really don't see how Kevin Tsujihara doesn't get fired. The Nice Guys is a bomb and Tarzan will definitely bomb with how big the budget is (180M). Combine that with recent fuckups and he's gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I really don't see how Kevin Tsujihara doesn't get fired. The Nice Guys is a bomb and Tarzan will definitely bomb with how big the budget is (180M). Combine that with recent fuckups and he's gone.

Isn't The Legend of Tarzan supposed to be his last shot? Might as well quit now.

He used to run Six Flags fyi. lmao.

• Like 2