WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

54 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Iron Man 3 is beloved and Civil War comes up short with regard to what the people truly love - Trevor.

Tired acting, forced humor and weak villains?

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

I'm not understanding the meltdowns regarding CW's gross. It's what, the eighth Marvel film to be released since The Avengers? It was never going to achieve high legs no matter the reception. DH2 had worse legs than DH1/HBP but was by far more beloved by audiences. There's a point when frontloadedness just becomes natural for a franchise. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I'm not understanding the meltdowns regarding CW's gross. It's what, the eighth Marvel film to be released since The Avengers? It was never going to achieve high legs no matter the reception. DH2 had worse legs than DH1/HBP but was by far more beloved by audiences. There's a point when frontloadedness just becomes natural for a franchise. 

I wasn't expecting a 3x multiplier or anything, but it's online reviews and critic reviews suggest much better WoM, than IM3. so I was hoping for at least a 2.5x multiplier.    

3 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

A movie with a distinctive style and sense of humor perhaps.

Oh, it was distinctive, distinctively boring. Anyways not much use arguing with me about it. IM3 is my least favorite marvel film. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Sony has two hits this summer with Money Monster and Angry Birds. Sony has some potential hits for the summer with The Shallows, Ghostbusters, Sausage Party, and Don't Breathe. WB for now just has Central Intelligence, and Suicide Squad for this summer. Me Before You has always been a wildcard. 

*Spoiler alert* Sony reworked the script for The Shallows and made an under the table deal with Fox to have Deadpool appear at the end of the film, kill the shark and save his wife. Sad they won't do the same to have a Spiderman and Deadpool cross over. 

31 minutes ago, a2knet said:

how poorly...450m os out of the question?

I'd say $430m is the best case scenario at this point. $405-$415m is much more likely. under $400m isn't out of the question anymore either.

Mark my words: Ghostbusters will be the summer's biggest surprise (because most people expect it to either flop or gross like an average 120-160 summer hit).

Would not surprise me. I have it around 150m. But I can see it breaking out more than I see it flopping.

• Like 1

If Money Monster follows last weekend minus previews:

2M Friday

2.6M Saturday

1.6M Sunday

6.2M Weekend

That would be a 58% decrease. Considering there are 5 new wide releases in the next two weeks and next weekend's will be worthy of multiple screens, this could be in less than 1k theaters sooner than we expect.

1 hour ago, johnboy3434 said:

Other than CW's Saturday increase, it's hardly optimistic. I have MM and Darkness DROPPING on Saturday, and SR is painfully underperforming, while ABM and NG are pretty much hovering they were expected to be.

Why on earth would MM drop on Saturday ?

What on earth are you using for comparisons? You cannot be that bad after so long.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I don't see finding Nemo doing 500 million or so.

Think it does not have the nostalgic pull to draw in adults like ts3.

It might have a shot at 500m, if reviews are almost as good as the first, which is possible.

9 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Why on earth would MM drop on Saturday ?

What on earth are you using for comparisons? You cannot be that bad after so long.

It seems to be an artifact of the ARIMA process I ended up using (specifically, an ARIMA(2,1,2) with drift and external regressors). Both of the films I'm using as external regressors gained on their second Saturdays. I probably should have looked a bit closer at the numbers being outputted.

Edited by johnboy3434