WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

37 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

yeah a film that is easily going to crack a billion WW will def. get studios to stop making them lmao.

It's a pretty big kick in the nuts domestically regardless.

1 minute ago, pieman said:

It's a pretty big kick in the nuts domestically regardlesResponding

ust ignore posts like this.  We all know Civil War has done fantastic business. Respondong

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

I like Ed Douglas and his weekend warrior columns, but this is literally not the reason why Neighbors 2 flopped. 

The movie just looked like a carbon copy of the first and didn't exactly offer anything new to the audiences. 

If anything the subtitle brings out the Dudebros.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pieman said:

It's a pretty big kick in the nuts domestically regardless.

400M+ is a kick in the nuts? I dunno, looks like a feat that only 22 out of close to millions of films have ever accomplished :ph34r: Just saying.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

I agree that it had epic large scale battle but it certainly didn't have an interesting film from start to finish.

I'm admittedly a bit perplexed at CW's run. Sure, it's done fine and Marvel/Disney are no doubt thrilled with it. I did expect smaller drops, though, based on my entirely illogical, microscopic sample size of my friends, co-workers, and family. CW is the first MCU flick since the first Avengers movie where literally everyone I know personally really liked it. Comics fans, movie fans, and acquaintances who barely pay attention to pop culture, they all gave this film high marks when we've discussed it. Throw in the critical ravings, along with the relative lack of competition, and these drops are even more bewildering to me.

Oh, well, it broke a billion and stomped BvS, so it's all good... if a bit of a head-scratcher. 

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

I completely disagree with you @grim22.  Comedy sequels always look like rehashes of the original.  They're supposed to.  You don't reinvent the wheel when something works the first time.  Grown Ups 2, Hangover 2, 22 Jump Street, American Pie 2, and you can go on and on.  If Neighbors 2 had a completely different plot and it failed then people would be saying that if it aint broke don't fix it.  

The truth is imo, you don't always know why some sequels work and others don't.  But when you have a film that makes 150 million dollars, chances are there's going to be a sequel.  It not working has nothing to do with the story looking recycled.  

Which goes back to the notion that not every movie that's successful needs a sequel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bapi said:

This plus comedy sequels are always awful and pointless.

Don't think the title mattered, but reviews heralding feminist themes and pro gay-marriage bit may have turned some off who enjoyed the first film.

I kind of liked Neighbors and would have gone to see this if I hadn't read the reviews.   No idea why they felt the need to make an PC, SJW Tumblr version of the first film.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Don't think the title mattered, but reviews heralding feminist themes and pro gay-marriage bit may have turned some off who enjoyed the first film.

I kind of liked Neighbors and would have gone to see this if I hadn't read the reviews.   No idea why they felt the need to make an PC, SJW Tumblr version of the first film.

:rofl:

It's opening weekend. Shit like that doesn't matter.

Sure. But why wouldn't they try @filmlover.....they are in the business of making money. The first one had a good multiplier and predictions for this one before the international numbers are coming out was that it would do well over a hundred million. So yes perhaps not every film deserves a sequel Butts Hollywood is there to make money and if they think they can we're going to make that film. It's just a risk and a Gamble just like every movie is really. Except for Marvel. Marvel is not a risk or gamble in any shape or form LOL

• Like 2

It's gonna be a rough ride until Finding Dory comes out. Next weekend's pair of big brand sequels seem destined to come below expectations because, oh yeah, they're not really offering anything new on the surface either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

:rofl:

It's opening weekend. Shit like that doesn't matter.

This. Unless it's something absolutely catastrophic happens, like the director or star being charged with child molestation during the press tour, WoM issues don't come into full effect until the second weekend.

Edited by johnboy3434

34 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

400M+ is a kick in the nuts? I dunno, looks like a feat that only 22 out of close to millions of films have ever accomplished :ph34r: Just saying.

Many of you had it positioned for 500-600 million. It's gotta hurt just a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pieman said:

Many of you had it positioned for 500-600 million. It's gotta hurt just a bit.

True, in the same way expecting a foursome for your birthday and only getting a threesome hurts. The movie has already broken even on box office receipts alone, and it's the eighth film in a row to do so. That's absolutely fantastic no matter how you slice it.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

P I R A C Y.. How many times must it be said?? A lot of people aren't realizing how much of an effect it really had on this movie and one where a copy that was as pristine as it was, made it's way to the streets.. It didn't exactly help folks as much as you don't want to give credit for this..

Piracy definitely has an effect, but not to the extent you are trying to make it out to.  If this was the case, then every Oscar contender who has their screener released every Holiday season would make jack shit in the box office.  The Revenant had a perfect copy out a few weeks before wide release and it still somehow pulls in $183m.  

• Like 6