WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think that franchise movies part ?? might get more frontloaded in general, especially strongly if the mood they left the audience with is a bit less happy all around than others.

And when too similar movies or whatever are too near or... but that counts in general, each movie has it's own little or big reasons / group of reasons why it might perform in this or that way.

So me, I see no reason for 'excuses' needed, no underwhelming or whatever feelings seem to me reasonable.

Known budget x4+ and merchandise for Captain America seem to be everywhere and so on why would anyone be feeling disappointed?

OS CA 3 soon reaching CA 2 ww, and also soon reaching with it's dom's result the ww result of CA 1

CA 3

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $347,390,153    33.0%
Foreign:  $706,100,000    67.0%

Worldwide:  $1,053,490,153

and counting

CA 2

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $259,766,572    36.4%
Foreign:  $454,654,931    63.6%

Worldwide:  $714,421,503  

CA 1

Domestic:  $176,654,505    47.7%
Foreign:  $193,915,269    52.3%

Worldwide:  $370,569,774  

And nope, to me it wasn't an Averngers 2.5 movie, 2 founding main members missing, Hawkeye not that much there, no Nick Fury...

It has a lot of known and new characters, but not all of The typical Avengers characters. To me it's more a CA 3 movie with lots of IM added plus some new/recent introductions and so on.

I liked it.

Terrestrial is back! Hey :)

Since everybody's talking about that again, I'll chime in by saying...

It was marketed as an Avengers movie, it was kind of an Avenger movie, but it was missing some Avengers, and the focus was clearly on Cap.

Now, among all my friends, who wants to see a Cap-focused Avengers movie? Pretty much none. And just having some cool characters here and there isn't enough to convince them to see an otherwise Cap-centric story. Leaving the theater my friend said "I'm so fucking glad this was the last Captain America movie"

He loved the movie, he's incredibly excited for Spider-Man & Black Panther, but he just doesn't give a fuck about Cap. And he's not alone in my friends. I do like Cap, but I feel like I'm in the minority, I was certainly the only TeamCap among my friends that's for sure.

The title is still Captain America which implies that the story is focused on him, and even for those who like The Avengers, that could very well turn them off seeing this movie.

That would help explain the legs, I think. Die-Hard MCU fans showed up, then everyone went like "It's not an Avengers-movie purely, it's focused on cap" and people answered with "oh ok, well fuck that" :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Compute everything. How much will it cost a family of four?

for a weekend matinee, non IMAX, PLF or 3D (at $5 a ticket), about $30-$40 including food and gas.  if you go in the evening, children and seniors will have a discount, but still about $10 more.  so the range is $20 (i don't even bother with concessions as i don't like to eat and watch at the same time and viewing is more pleasant with an empty bladder) to $70 (IMAX or PLF 3D with concessions for everyone).  not a trivial amount, but certainly not unaffordable for MOST families.

• Like 1

Just now, ttr said:

Perhaps your priorities have changed. You get more excited about how your child grows than from "casual" movie(?)

That and the movies just don't seem special or worth seeing. It's like "there's one date night we can pass on and save up for next."

2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

LOL I mean Cyclops was never given much of a chance. 

Even in stuff like Star Wars, Han Solo is a more popular character than Luke Skywalker. 

I edited my post because I started thinking about that. :lol: 

Just now, Treetrunk Special said:

Harry Potter

I was deep into HP fandom when the books and movies were coming out and that's not really true. I guess I would say HP doesn't have a huge standout character but Hermione is probably the most popular character tbh.

1 minute ago, moviesRus said:

LOL I mean Cyclops was never given much of a chance. 

Even in stuff like Star Wars, Han Solo is a more popular character than Luke Skywalker. 

I agree. Cyclops is an awesome character. He, like what you said, has not been given the chance.

18 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am not sure why people keep insisting Civil War isn't an Avengers movie. Even Marvel sold it as one. 

Before opening weekend:

Marvel fan: "Can't wait for the new Avengers movie, Civil War!!!"

After seeing a 'disappointing' box office take:

Marvel fan: "Look, Civil War isn't even slightly an Avengers movie. It has never been marketed that way."

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

X-men really took away a lot of screens from Civil War here. 

But the word of mouth around X-men isn't very good here. I'll be going to see it with the family next week regardless. I've always generally found things that I like in all the X-men movies. 

Me too, even if it isn't great, I've yet to see an X-Men film I've completely disliked. and I'm going to see it anyways becuase well it's X-Men. and Fassbender and Mcavoy are amazing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Since you are physically incapable of going 2 hours without a trough of food... I assume you are obese?

LMAO nooooooo Tree. That isn't me (yet, at least).

But for the average family that treats going to the theater like a special occasion, yeah, it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Candidates to beat Civil War dom & WW ?

Dory, Rogue, anything else ?

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE and FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM will fall short.

3 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Do we have an example of a Cap-esque character who is actually the most popular character of their franchise? 

The current version of Superman is a lousy version of the character. I don't think that a sincere, principled character is inherently less popular than an edgy, darker one -- the problem (if it's a problem) is that filmmakers are currently obsessed with the latter and don't put much effort (for the most part) to the former.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

He is? That's new to me.

Vader was always the most popular Star Wars character in my lifetime.

Yeah, Vader is the most popular but Han Solo is easily more popular than Luke. Might have shifted slightly with the new movie but I think that was always the case.

Just now, filmlover said:

LMAO nooooooo Tree. That isn't me (yet, at least).

But for the average family that treats going to the theater like a special occasion, yeah, it is.

But this is completely contradictory. Earlier you were saying a family can't go every 2 weeks because they have to buy tons of food. Now when I say they don't need to buy food, you claim they have to because it's such a rare occasion. 2 weeks is a rare occasion? Make your damn mind up.

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

Me too, even if it isn't great, I've yet to see an X-Men film I've completely disliked. and I'm going to see it anyways becuase well it's X-Men. and Fassbender and Mcavoy are amazing!

They are the gems of the new trilogy.

• Like 3

Just now, kayumanggi said:

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE and FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM will fall short.

Unless a movie does a Fast & Furious 7 in China I guess, I think only a Disney film can beat Civil War this year.