CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

18 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

You still don't know that. Didn't Kinberg say the next movie would be set in 90s?

It is not official, but like Deadline argued that it might be time for the series to go on the shelf or back to the drawing board. They noted that TASM2 got more with 91M on its opening weekend.

This is on opening weekend after Friday. I think the call will get louder after official numbers come in and become deafening with drops and eventual performance. And Fox would understandably go that route if XM-A numbers disappoint. 

Kinberg said that, but surely performance affects plans. Sony had a slate around Spider-Man and they wound up going the reboot route with Marvel.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Mystique is the only one I buy. Rose Byrne is a regular lady and looks the same 20 years later.  

That's my point how does a non mutant not age. There's another character in the movie this can be said about as well but I don't want to give anything away. It's not like X-Men is known for its continuity anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I am expecting a solid jump for Alice 2 which should make around 11M today continuing his massive floppage.

FOX should be terrified. I am expecting 20M today for Apocalypse for a 46.2M 2 days total. Just brutal. They get lucky that the Depp scandal and the Alice 2 massive bombage will overshadow this awful performance. It will go below First Class's daily numbers on Tuesday and there is no way it does 24.1M on 2nd weekend after barely making 62-64M on this inflated 3 day weekend and with the competition of TMNT2. It will end below the 146M First Class made DOM. 

Well Fox got a surprise in Deadpool...which I will legit laugh my ass off if Deadpool ends up making more it's OW than XMA does its whole run. The studio that couldn't afford another X-men is probably super confused right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

Well Fox got a surprise in Deadpool...which I will legit laugh my ass off if Deadpool ends up making more it's OW than XMA does its whole run. The studio that couldn't afford another X-men is probably super confused right now. 

If you would have told me that 6 months ago I would think you were crazy. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Deadpool's 3-day or 4-day. 4-day seems like a done deal. 3-day is possible. But like a 62 3-day and 2.2 multiplier would be enough to get XMA to 132, and I think that still may be within the realm of possibility.

Edited by superweirdo87
  • Like 1

I can't really see the problem too much, the X-Men series (with the exception of Days of Future Past and Deadpool) have always been more modest hits compared to other Superhero films, usually making over $300-$400+ million globally. This will end up either in the same ballpark as those or just a little short of Days of Future Past (I've been predicting $150 million domestic and $500+ global).

• Like 1

Fox will put out more X-men movies because they have to if they want to keep the rights but they're best bet going forward is to make Deadpool the center of their cinematic comic book world especially with the new X-force coming out. They should have Deadpool 2 and then bring out the X-force with Deadpool leading the way. Oh and make sure the OG Deadpool crew is around. 

37 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Perhaps, but it's been hinted that a future X-Men movie will be set in the 90s, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that New Mutants could be that movie. And if it's not the one set in the 90s, if Fox ends up underwhelmed by Apocalypse's performance, they could make Simon Kinberg and Josh Boone fuse ideas so that they can use New Mutants as a potential reboot of X-Men with a new team.

That sounds plausible, but I think they wanted it to be tonally different. Also, while it is plausible for Fox to go this route, I think they would be missing one of the points of the XM:A performance.

4 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Deadpool's 3-day or 4-day. 4-day seems like a done deal. 3-day is possible. But like a 62 3-day and 2.2 multiplier would be enough to get XMA to 132, and I think that still may be within the realm of possibility.

I was referring to the four day but honestly does it even matter? It's sad no matter which way you cut it. 

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Off topic guys but... WARRIORS!!!

Now Sportscenter will do nothing but talk about Steph Curry and how great he is even though Klay Thompson is the real boss. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

That's my point how does a non mutant not age. There's another character in the movie this can be said about as well but I don't want to give anything away. It's not like X-Men is known for its continuity anyway. 

If Deadpool hadn't been made, they'd have a good point. If either Wolverine 3 or Deadpool 2 tanks as well, then we're deep in the Kenny Loggins zone.

• Like 1

Monday box office just took a huge nosedive thanks to the Warriors. The evening will fall off big for the male targeted movies - Apocalypse, Civil War and Neighbors 2 will come in below whatever the estimates will be.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

Now Sportscenter will do nothing but talk about Steph Curry and how great he is even though Klay Thompson is the real boss. 

Well, to be fair, it's hard to be the GOAT when one only has one and a half functioning knees. :ph34r:

(that bank shot tho!)

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Apocalypse was great. Works less well (but still very good) on its own but as part of the trilogy it is fantastic.

I liked the movie but huh?  As the last part of 3 it's ...not amazing.  It's best stuff is launching the Xmen...

IMO...though it suffers a bit for not spending more time with them.  Apoc was...well, he needed more time...yet, they spent it spent too much time on him...if that makes sense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Monday box office just took a huge nosedive thanks to the Warriors. The evening will fall off big for the male targeted movies - Apocalypse, Civil War and Neighbors 2 will come in below whatever the estimates will be.

Thank goodness for that man haha!