CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

1 minute ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Do you doubt the brilliance of the Xmen movies ? Marvel movies are by the numbers , Xmen movies with their matrix-like outfits, their twilight- like acting , the time traveling aspect are pure art . :P

Whether people like it or not, the only studio that makes proper CBM is marvel and they have been rewarded for it by both the audience and the critics . 

Again you are entitled to your opinion but in this case your opinion sucks.

• Like 3

:sadben:

Just now, Baumer said:

I severely doubt if you have Viggo Mortensen or Mark Ruffalo or Kevin Bacon in The Revenant that it makes anywhere close to 100 mill.

DiCaprio is definitely the outlier. But, I thought the question was if there were any stars besides DiCaprio. I should have quoted it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Civil War and Angry Birds hysterical drops. The shitty as fuck openings for Alice 2 and X-Men. Amazing Memorial Day Weekend. 

I'm shocked how bad all the holdovers are. Did everyone just decide to skip the theaters this weekend or something?

Alice 2 has a 4-day lower than the OD of the first movie, Civil War with a worse hold than TASM2 over the same weekend, Neighbors collapsing. Crazy numbers all around.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Didn't you keep saying it wouldn't get a worse multiplier than Winter Soldier because of its RT score?

What's your point?

Everybody has inaccurate predictions. 

And I was pointing out historical differences between two franchises.

One inaccurate prediction has nothing to do with it.

Edited by grey ghost

Just now, grim22 said:

I'm shocked how bad all the holdovers are. Did everyone just decide to skip the theaters this weekend or something?

Alice 2 has a 4-day lower than the OD of the first movie, Civil War with a worse hold than TASM2 over the same weekend, Neighbors collapsing. Crazy numbers all around.

Angry Birds dropped over 50%, it might not do 100M now. It will need to get fudged a la Spectre.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Weather is uniformly amazing across the country, the offering isn't as strong as people wanting to spend time outdoors.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Do you doubt the brilliance of the Xmen movies ? Marvel movies are by the numbers , Xmen movies with their matrix-like outfits, their twilight- like acting , the time traveling aspect are pure art . :P

Whether people like it or not, the only studio that makes proper CBM is marvel and they have been rewarded for it by both the audience and the critics . 

I would argue that the work of McAvoy in First Class and DoFP, Fassbender in First Class, and Jackman is far from Twilight level acting. And Spider Man 2, X2, and Nolan's trilogy do not bear that out.

4 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Again you are entitled to your opinion but in this case your opinion sucks.

C'mon baumer. :apocalypse:

Marvel Studios is Pixar compared to WB, Sony and Fox.

Only one financial disappointment (TIH), zero rotten films and quite a few critical and financial home runs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

What's your point?

Everybody has inaccurate predictions. 

And I was pointing out historical differences between two franchises.

One inaccurate prediction has nothing to do with it.

My point is that we went from "it's going to have super long legs!" to "not every franchise can be as consistent as Potter" real quick

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

X-Men is dead. Alice is beyond dead. Civil War might indeed end below Iron Man 3 which is fucking hysterical. Angry Birds will need to get Puerto Ricod into the 100M or it will fail to reach the mark.

Terrible weekend. Save Us TMNT2! Save Us BAY!

With all these films doing so bad/under expectations something has to break out.  Just like how in 2014, GOTG  broke out because of lack of hits.  What will break out? 

TMNT2?

ID:R?

Ghostbusters?  Lol

Suicide Squad? 

What if Dory does under 350m?

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

With all these films doing so bad/under expectations something has to break out.  Just like how in 2014, GOTG  broke out because of lack of hits.  What will break out? 

TMNT2?

ID:R?

Ghostbusters?  Lol

Suicide Squad? 

What if Dory does under 350m?

RIP The Forums.