CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/x-men-apocalypse-alice-through-the-looking-glass-memorial-day-weekend-box-office-1201763668/

2ND UPDATE, 11:50AM: Oh, no, it’s Tomorrowland all over again for Disney. Industry projections shows 20th Century Fox’s super-charged X-Men: Apocalypse reigning meteors on Disney’s sequel Alice Through the Looking Glasswith respective 4-day takes of $90M to $40M. Alice 2 cost $170M before P&A, so if these figures keep up and don’t pop, it’s off with her head.

X-Men looks to mint $29M-$30M today which includes an $8.2M Thursday, while Alice looks to eat up $9M. Three-day for X-Men is $78M, while Alice will file second with $31M. It’s funny, we heard some lone projection earlier in the week from an analyst that Alice 2 was poised to tank, but we thought it was far too cynical to digest; most box office trackers were seeing Alice 2‘s opening through rosy-colored glasses with $55M-$60M.

• Like 9

‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Firing Off $90M, ‘Alice’ Taking A Spill With $40M Over 4-Day Memorial Day Holiday – Noon Update

2ND UPDATE, 11:50AM: Oh, no, it’s Tomorrowland all over again for Disney. Industry projections shows 20th Century Fox’s super-charged X-Men: Apocalypse reigning meteors on Disney’s sequel Alice Through the Looking Glasswith respective 4-day takes of $90M to $40M. Alice 2 cost $170M before P&A, so if these figures keep up and don’t pop, it’s off with her head.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/x-men-apocalypse-alice-through-the-looking-glass-memorial-day-weekend-box-office-1201763668/

Edited by No Prisoners

If not for Apocalypse, this MD weekend box office would look very similar to last year. It is pretty much the difference between the 2 years at this point.

@CJohn's theory that no Disney fairytale adaptation will do below 200M looks like it will be broken this weekend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The_Do-Over_Poster.png

?

Just finished it. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I was honestly surprised by its twist. 

1 minute ago, No Prisoners said:

‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Firing Off $90M, ‘Alice’ Taking A Spill With $40M Over 4-Day Memorial Day Holiday – Noon Update

Apocalypse seems to be performing exactly how I figured. Will Alice 2 end up O/U 100 million ?

That's honestly horrible for Alice. No idea what overseas numbers will be, but it's a domestic bomb for sure. Now I'm curious as to what the first would have done had it not come out during the 3D craze.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

If Apocalypse does 30M and follows DOFP:

30M Friday

24.7M Saturday

22M Sunday

16.7M Monday

77.7M 3 Day/94.4M 4 day

I expect WOM won't be as good as DOFP so I expect around 90-91M 4 day. 

• Like 2