kayumanggi

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES | 622.3 M overseas ● 794.9 M worldwide

He said it's trending close to the same numbers as the last Pirates film which made $108 million, so I wouldn't throw $800 million out just yet. It's a long mark for sure, but I wouldn't say it's off the table yet with this opening so strong. And that opening number could go up further if the Sunday drop off is not as much. Should be interesting to watch. Without a doubt Pirates 5 is another winner for Disney. They've got to be pleased with it's staying power five movies in. 

I'm with you.
  • Like 1

Removing Japan's OW it's on ~532 OS-Japan. So should do 540 (even a bit more) OS-Japan.

Dom should do 170 (maybe 1-1.5m more).

That's 710 WW-Japan (540 + 170).

So 90m from Japan (even 85m, if above markets add a little more) will give it 800m WW.

Even if the prod budget was 260-270 opposed to reported budget of 230, then it should do around 3x the prod budget WW with 780-800.

• Like 1

Removing Japan's OW it's on ~532 OS-Japan. So should do 540 (even a bit more) OS-Japan.
Dom should do 170 (maybe 1-1.5m more).
That's 710 WW-Japan (540 + 170).

So 90m from Japan (even 85m, if above markets add a little more) will give it 800m WW.

Even if the prod budget was 260-270 opposed to reported budget of 230, then it should do around 3x the prod budget WW with 780-800.

Why do you suggest that production budget was not the one reported?

25 minutes ago, ttr said:

The franchise (and Disney in general) has a recent history of massively under reporting budget, (not that it is necessarily this case this time, there is some tangible element on why this one could have had a so much lower budget than the 407 million gross budget pirates 4)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The franchise (and Disney in general) has a recent history of massively under reporting budget, (not that it is necessarily this case this time, there is some tangible element on why this one could have had a so much lower budget than the 407 million gross budget pirates 4)

Age of Ultron costed over 300 mill too. I think CW did too

1 hour ago, ttr said:

37 minutes ago, Barnack said:

There were also delays with this movie. Once when Depp was going through the dogs fiasco in Australia and also when he injured himself once and could not be on the sets.

• Like 1

It did 9.6m weekend in Japan and it's OS is 544.96m.

That means OS-Japan is 535.44m.

OS-Japan will easily cross 540. 545 is likely.

170 dom + 545 OS-Japan = 715

So needs 85 from Japan for 800 WW.

After a 9.6 weekend 85 is 8.85x. I don't think it can do that. 70 is more realistic from Japan, which will give 785 WW in the end.

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It did 9.6m weekend in Japan and it's OS is 544.96m.

That means OS-Japan is 535.44m.

OS-Japan will easily cross 540. 545 is likely.

170 dom + 545 OS-Japan = 715

So needs 85 from Japan for 800 WW.

After a 9.6 weekend 85 is 8.85x. I don't think it can do that. 70 is more realistic from Japan, which will give 785 WW in the end.

yeah 800m will be hard. Let's see how close it can get. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

So glad to see one of the franchises I enjoy most continue to be a box office success. 

Yes! It will still make 750+ WW even with shitty reviews, unfavorable exchange rates compared to POTC4, 6-year gap between installments and Depp's bad image.

• Like 4