cannastop

4-Day Weekend Actuals: Apoc $79.8M, Alice 2 $33.5M, Angry Birds $24.6M, Cap 3 $20.0M

Looking at the X-Men: First Class marketing again and I am shocked the franchise survived post the horrible marketing campaign that movie had

Witness_The_Awful_New_Character_Posters_

xmen-first-class-xavier-poster.jpg

xmen-125330.jpg

x-men-first-class-poster.jpg

Weirdly, all of these still pale in comparison to the poster for Takers

takers_poster.jpg

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It sold out the PLF shows, the same audience going to PLF would definitely prefer IMAX if available. Would have probably made a 5-7M difference in the end for sure.

Ah, OK. I didn't check fandango fervently to see how many auditoriums actually sold out.

22 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Wow, Fox overestimated XMA by only 200k. Really surprised that it didn't go lower.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Shocked it pretty much ended with 80M. 

Told you the estimates seemed pretty realistic.

• Like 1

Just now, Arlborn said:

Could have been worse I guess.

It pretty much did the minimum possible to not be considered a massive underperformance. 

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

One question I've been afraid to ask: Who verifies these actual numbers?

All studios get the actual numbers report from Rentrak, other studios will call a different studio out on BS if they try to fudge the actuals a lot (say by more than 1M or if there is any record at stake).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

All studios get the actual numbers report from Rentrak, other studios will call a different studio out on BS if they try to fudge the actuals a lot (say by more than 1M or if there is any record at stake).

I remember Transformers 4's 100m OW was mentioned in a number of places but no one officially called them out except by casual followers on boards/forums, and it was high by over a million if my memory serves.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

I remember Transformers 4's 100m OW was mentioned in a number of places but no one officially called them out except by casual followers on boards/forums, and it was high by over a million if my memory serves.

Yes, but it didn't affect any other studio directly, there were no records at stake, and even with the actual numbers Transformers would have still had the biggest opening of the year to date. Not worth the trouble for any other studio calling them out, especially over a non-consequential issue (and they compensated by understating Monday and Tuesday numbers). Now if say, for example, Catching Fire had claimed a 161M OW and a highest 2D opening ever, pretty sure WB would have called them out for sure with the actuals.

• Like 6