La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am not sure how that works with Megan Fox having a character in each franchise

Reveal hidden contents

Why wouldn't Transformers be a fictional property in TMNT2 explaining that toy?

You're thinking too hard. This is TMNT-Transformers. Plus you could have a scene that showcases Megan Fox's boob acting range where she plays two characters at once.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am not sure how that works with Megan Fox having a character in each franchise

Reveal hidden contents

lol that reminds me of the movie Cellular, which had one scene in which Chris Evans had to save Kim Basinger's son by picking him up from school before bad guy Jason Statham did and the son is wearing a Lord of the Rings backpack (since New Line made both movies). Talk about corporate synergy at its most blatant.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

This feels totally right in the general "feeling" you describe. It's some intangible thing you put a finger on. I just think that unlike those movies, Conjuring 2 actually has pretty damn good reviews and a wide open marketplace (when was the last big horror movie)? That could save it. The others? Right with ya. 

Also, forgot about Annabelle. That proves there is an audience for more of these, though I do wonder if the satisfied demand/mediocre reception to that one could possibly hurt this. Could just prove that this franchise is strong, though. 

Ehhh.....i would respectfully disagree with Jamie about "Sherlock Holmes 2" being one of those unasked sequels. Cause that sequel did have some people excited about the mystery of Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes's toughest enemy). And also it did make a bit more money than it's predecessor, WW-wise with $545M. And i think the audience generally enjoyed it as much as the first one. Also there's a third Sherlock Holmes-movie coming soon.

But yeah, for the other sequels......yeah, i can understand why people didn't/won't see them as much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Ehhh.....i would respectfully disagree with Jamie about "Sherlock Holmes 2" being one of those unasked sequels. Cause that sequel did have some people excited about the mystery of Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes's toughest enemy). And also it did make a bit more money than it's predecessor, WW-wise with $545M. And i think the audience generally enjoyed it as much as the first one. Also there's a third Sherlock Holmes-movie coming soon.

But yeah, for the other sequels......yeah, i can understand why people didn't/won't see them as much.

Holmes 2 needed a big name to play Moriarty. If they had got one, it would have out grossed the first IMO.

• Like 5

• Community Manager
14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I kinda blame Kevin Feige to convince Hollywood executives that because your movie is derived from a known brand it s gonna make money no matter what ...

Oh, I didn't know that before 2008 Hollywood didn't believe this. That's interesting because people have been saying this for decades now but it took Kevin Feige to convince Hollywood executives.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

TMNT is just following the trend of poorly-reviewed live-action movies based on cartoon shows falling off. For example:

Scooby-Doo: $153M

Scooby-Doo 2: $84M

Garfield: $75M

Garfield 2: $28M

The Smurfs: $142M

The Smurfs 2: $71M

And even though the second outing was a prequel, The Flintstones dropped from $130M to $35M.

Which makes The Chipmunks that more impressive since it took 4 movies for it to really fall off.  Not that Fox is complaining, since the franchise has already raked in over 1.3 Billion WW.  

• Like 1

Expecting numbers to fall further 

2nd UPDATE: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is on course per industry projections to make $11M today with an opening between $28M-$30M.  Rival distribution czars aren’t impressed, nor envious of this Paramount release’s weekend, however, in regards to a sequel’s opening vs. its predecessor’s, TMNT2 isn’t seeing the biggest drop from part 1 with its opening -54% to -57% off from the 2014 title. The goat horns for the worst sequel debut this year, of course, land upon the crown of Disney’s Alice Through the Looking Glass. Last weekend the James Bobin-directed movie opened -77% below its 2010 first chapter’s $116M debut. TMNT2 will have the added benefit of 331 Imax locations and 3D showtimes. The first TMNT reboot drew an over 25 crowd of 55%, roping in all the Gen X and Y fans of the comic books and New Line series.

20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse is looking at $8M today, off 70% from a week ago because its $26.3M Friday had a Thursday injection of $8.2M, with a second FSS in the mid $20M range.

MGM/New Line’s Me Before You is building momentum with young females with a $7M-$8M opening day (that includes $1.5M from last night). Currently matinees per one insider indicate a $15M opening, but rivals think it could have a shot at $20M.

Alice through the Looking Glass is projected at a second weekend of $11M, -59%, taking its 10-day take to $51M.

Universal’s Pop Star exactly where we figured it would be with $1M-$1.5M Friday and a $4M debut.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't consider Lena Headey to be a breakout from the series because she already had an established career when it premiered five years ago.

Ya, her and Sean Bean

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Expecting numbers to fall further 

Nothing here makes sense. Why would MBY only do 15M OW from a 7-8M OD? And why would TMNT not do 32-35M from a 11M Friday?