WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

Holy crap, does Warcraft really need 500 million worldwide, to break even?

I've just read deadline's article. I'm sorry, but I don't think we'll even get a sequel if that's true. How the hell can these guys spend so much money for a movie based on a game?

Even LOTR movies were less expensive than Warcraft. Hell, even some Marvel movies were less expensive. Do these guys think people will watch Warcraft just because it could look like LOTR because of trolls and monsters? If they really took people for granted, that backfired hard on them 

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Holy crap, does Warcraft really need 500 million worldwide, to break even?

I've just read deadline's article. I'm sorry, but I don't think we'll even get a sequel if that's true. How the hell can these guys spend so much money for a movie based on a game?

Even LOTR movies were less expensive than Warcraft. Hell, even some Marvel movies were less expensive. Do these guys think people will watch Warcraft just because it could look like LOTR because of trolls and monsters? If they really took people for granted, that backfired hard on them 

I think you guys underestimate how much money it takes to create a believable fantasy world on screen.

First of all, the LOTR movies are probably on-par with what Legendary spent, if you take inflation into account. (Those "official" budgets for each LOTR movie are absurdly low, since they're based on the original greenlit budget for all three movies -- and New Line put increasingly more money into each of them). The HOBBIT movies are easily 100m more expensive (per movie) than WARCRAFT.

When you aren't willing to pay what it costs to create at least a halfway-decent-looking movie, you get stuff like DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, where the budgetary limits are woefully obvious.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I think you guys underestimate how much money it takes to create a believable fantasy world on screen.

First of all, the LOTR movies are probably on-par with what Legendary spent, if you take inflation into account. (Those "official" budgets for each LOTR movie are absurdly low, since they're based on the original greenlit budget for all three movies -- and New Line put increasingly more money into each of them). The HOBBIT movies are easily 100m more expensive (per movie) than WARCRAFT.

When you aren't willing to pay what it costs to create at least a halfway-decent-looking movie, you get stuff like DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, where the budgetary limits are woefully obvious.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information. :)

So, do you think we'll see a sequel anyway?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

If I'm not mistaken most of the budget for The Two Towers and Return of the king were for the CGI. since the budget for the first one covered production and pay for the actors/staff.

Edited by Belakor

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information. :)

So, do you think we'll see a sequel anyway?

Probably, but I don't think it's 100% guaranteed. Like kowhite's pointed out, China gross is nice, but studios don't get anything from video revenues in China (and as a whole the Chinese video market doesn't do much), so while Legendary is making some good money with the theatrical run (better than regular studios because they're owned by Wanda), it won't help them with ancillary revenue there (compared with domestic and overseas (minus China), where a movie can pick up another 50-100m or more from home video and that amount again for television markets).

• Like 4

I would to see The Conjuring 2 open right around between $16-$18 million OD, that would be quite solid considering how once again how horror sequels are. Warcraft doing over $30 million OW is bland but if it pulls an Edge Of Tomorrow and does $100 million and makes $505 million worldwide Universal should have a small profit but no sequel. Now You See Me 2 making around $25 million opening weekend could be quite a solid win but not as big as its predcessor but even the first film held out better than Man Of Steel after its OW. 

1 minute ago, Belakor said:

If I'm not mistaken most of the budget for The Two Towers and Return of the king were for the CGI. since the budget for the first one covered production and pay for the actors/staff.

Trying to split the budget into each movie's amount is basically impossible, since they were shooting scenes from all three movies throughout the whole production. Basically, they were greenlit somewhere around 270m for the whole enchilada, and New Line put extra money into TTT for their pickups and post and then even more into ROTK for its pickups and post. I think the commonly-accepted figure is around 120-130m for each (although honestly no one knows but New Line) -- and of course they had an absolute sweetheart deal with NZ so they were able to spread that budget a lot further than usual.

• Like 3