WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

While the Conjuring franchise and Bates Motel are the cream of the crop when it comes to horror in film and on TV, I don't get why Vera Farmiga doesn't stretch beyond that. I mean she broke out in a Best Picture winning Martin Scorsese directed box office smash (in a small role, but still), and then was Oscar nominated in an acclaimed, box office hit by Jason Reitman...and then got stuck in mostly horror ever since. Not that there's anything wrong with horror but it's odd that she's not balancing it with more "serious" movies. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

While the Conjuring franchise and Bates Motel are the cream of the crop when it comes to horror in film and on TV, I don't get why Vera Farmiga doesn't stretch beyond that. I mean she broke out in a Best Picture winning Martin Scorsese directed box office smash (in a small role, but still), and then was Oscar nominated in an acclaimed, box office hit by Jason Reitman...and then got stuck in mostly horror ever since. Not that there's anything wrong with horror but it's odd that she's not balancing it with more "serious" movies. 

Well, she's over 40 and as we all know, it's not like there's a plethora of good roles to go around for actresses past that mark.

5 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

It's just shocking as I figured it wouldn't be good, thus sucky legs but I at least thought the OW would be decent as gamers/young males would see it? Guess not.

Diehard fans came out in full force (probably) but the bad reviews kept everyone else away. Movies targeting young males that aren't surefire bets (ala Marvel) are pretty much foundering for the most part, which is ironic since Hollywood has held the belief that that particular demographic is the key demo to appeal to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Warcraft's poor domestic gross is honestly expected. I mean zero starpower, bad trailers, poor reviews. What else can be expected

It's Poseidon/King Arthur all over again. A big summer tentpole that does nothing to stand out and gets rejected by audiences.

Just now, johnboy3434 said:

This may be a stupid question, but why do studios give out weekend estimates on Sunday? Why not just give Saturday estimates on Sunday like they give Friday estimates on Saturday? There's no much point in using the opportunity to lie about the numbers, since the truth will come out in just 24 hours. And if they're going to lie anyway, why not lie about the actuals? At least those numbers will stick.

It acts as a form of advertisement. Several media outlets report BO numbers so when a movie takes the number spot or breaks some kind of record, the buzz might reach people who might otherwise not have watched it on Sunday or at all. Even if actuals come in lower, it won't matter since the buzz has already been spread and few outlets report actuals anyway (besides special cases).

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, she's over 40 and as we all know, it's not like there's a plethora of good roles to go around for actresses past that mark.

There is, though. Just look at the past year -- tons of good roles of actresses over 60, let alone 40. 

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

There is, though. Just look at the past year -- tons of good roles of actresses over 60, let alone 40. 

Yeah, but mostly in independent cinema. We all know the major studios ain't cranking out the offers.

Pacific Rim got almost a 3x multiplier for its opening weekend. 71% on RT. Good domestic legs. Made more than 100 million domestic. It was also something entirely new, a new IP.

Warcraft will barely have a 2x multiplier for its opening weekend. 27% on RT. Bad domestic legs. Might make less than 50 million domestic. It has frontoloading written all over it.

You show these 2 samples to a business man, and ask him which one deserves a sequel and which one doesn't. ;)  

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Pacific Rim got almost a 3x multiplier for its opening weekend. 71% on RT. Good domestic legs. Made more than 100 million domestic. It was also something entirely new, a new IP.

Warcraft will barely have a 2x multiplier for its opening weekend. 27% on RT. Bad domestic legs. Might make less than 50 million domestic. It has frontoloading written all over it.

You show these 2 samples to a business man, and ask him which one deserves a sequel and which one doesn't. ;)  

LOL Pacific Rim legs were shit for an original movie. PR sequel doesn't really make much sense just as much as a Warcraft sequel really. 

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

117172-Dumb-and-Dumber-Jim-Carrey-so-DJd

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

LOL Pacific Rim legs were shit for an original movie. PR sequel doesn't really make much sense just as much as a Warcraft sequel really. 

Yeah, yeah, legs were bad but I'm comparing them to Warcraft's. ;)

If a movie has a higher chance of getting a sequel, it would be Pacific Rim for obvious reasons. I still think Pacific Rim 2 won't happen, but let's ignore it for now...

the Toby Kebbel curse strikes again

next, Ben Hur

My buddy who worked on Keanu said Ben Hur was mixing in the stage next to him and its 1000% the biggest pile of shit ever and the sound guys said they are annoyed they have to work on this for the rest of the summer.

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1