kayumanggi

ROUGH NIGHT | 06.16.17 | Sony

So if the reviews for this were decent, why did it tank so miserably?  I mean, this is going to what I though Hangover would do when I made the Hangover under Very Bad Things adjusted (18 mill).  Ok, it might do more than that, but still, a disaster.

On 4/25/2017 at 8:52 PM, franfar said:

I re-watched the trailer for this, and it just looks like an extended SNL sketch. Not much chemistry between the actors at all, generic, a bunch of shit slapped together, etc. 

I think it could get some laughs, but I don't think this will be another Bad Moms scenario. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I just feel like it would've had more success a decade ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

So if the reviews for this were decent, why did it tank so miserably?  I mean, this is going to what I though Hangover would do when I made the Hangover under Very Bad Things adjusted (18 mill).  Ok, it might do more than that, but still, a disaster.

Reviews are decent? It's mixed for critics and audiences. Average ratings are mediocre.

3 hours ago, franfar said:

Reviews are decent? It's mixed for critics and audiences. Average ratings are mediocre.

I'm just going by what people said here.

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

If I had to guess...

1. Less appealing premise to women...(from the trailer, so not a spoiler - I haven't seen this) killing someone in a raunchy night and then covering it up in some way is not something they'd see themselves doing...ever...if you can't ever imagine the scenario, its humor is limited...

2. Bad weekend for release...I mean, Father's Day?  The weekend moms and daughters are spending making their dads happy?  Plus, the problem of the WW juggernaut made this choice worse...

3. Unlikeable and unidentifiable characters (which goes along with premise)...the previews didn't have a character you'd "root for" or "you'd see yourself as"...Bad Moms trailers gave you a "hero" and a "villain" in the trailers and gave you characters that you'd say "that's me" or "I totally know that person"...the best comedies have a small ring of truth in them...who in this movie is someone who people would say "yeah, I know that person"...

I originally liked the 1st trailer...then I saw a few more and was totally turned off by the premise and characters...and I was probably in the original "planned demo" for this...

I don't see a 5x for this...so it won't be Bad Moms...it will still probably get comedy legs, so it won't totally crash and burn...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

The plot probably just came across as too dark and mean-spirited. A murder (and the ensuing disposal of the body) isn't exactly an ideal fun girls night out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm just going by what people said here.

Based on what I see in this thread, they jumped on the early reviews as usual, before the overall % dropped.

Edited by franfar

3 hours ago, Kingp0va said:

People are so turned off by scarlett's hair, I'm completely sure this could have done better if she had long hair

You know, as funny as this sounds, I get it.  She just doesn't look right in this film.  It also doesn't help that there is a bunch of relatively unknown people in the cast.  There's one surprise cameo and that doesn't really do anything to the plot either.  

I just felt that this was off in so many places.  

On 4/29/2017 at 11:26 AM, filmlover said:

Spoiler speculation:

Hide contents

I think the guy who they accidentally kill is really a criminal who tried to break into their home and Colton Haynes (who is seen in the trailer wearing a police uniform- a much more obvious male stripper costume- and then shirtless later) is the real stripper.

Yup, that's exactly what happens.

If you know me, you might know that one of my favorite shows on TV right now is Broad City. It all started in 2014 when I met this girl named Cosette who was part of a Tribeca film program we attended for the summer. One day she was out shooting a small little scene Broad City and like the supportive friend I was, I eager to see her on TV. Somehow I found myself getting addicted to the show and not just because of my friend.

So when word got out that in 2015 a screenplay written by Paul W. Downs and Lucia Aniello ended up on the blacklist on unproduced screenplays, I was eager to see it become a reality. Rough Night was undoubtedly one of my most anticipated movies to see this year and I don’t get anticipated for movies anymore.

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//rough-night-review

8 hours ago, baumer said:

You know, as funny as this sounds, I get it.  She just doesn't look right in this film.  It also doesn't help that there is a bunch of relatively unknown people in the cast.  There's one surprise cameo and that doesn't really do anything to the plot either.  

I just felt that this was off in so many places.  

Meh. Considering how big SNL was this last season I'd say Kate McKinnon isn't "unknown" anymore. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Meh. Considering how big SNL was this last season I'd say Kate McKinnon isn't "unknown" anymore. 

So two.