FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

16 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

About pixar movies....Inside Out is probably best animated movie i have ever seen.

There's a few problems with IO, not the least of which is Disney made it already and called it Cranium Command. Beyond that, it was heavy on the creativity but lacking in the pathos. Joy and Sadness were limited by their functional roles and I didn't think ever transcended that. So I was left at arm's length beyond the imaginary friend, one unconstrained.

It was a brainy animated film though, and I appreciated it on those merits.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/finding-dory-box-office-central-intelligence-captain-america-totals-1201774498/

‘Dory’s Glory: Pixar Sequel Set To Post All-Time Record Opening For Animated Pic With $134M+

3RD Update, 8:45PM: Refresh for updates Disney-Pixar’s Finding Dory is still on course to wake up summer from its slumber with revised industry figures showing a record opening day for an animated film of $53M inclusive of a record $9.2M Thursday preview, on its way to a $134.1M record debut for a feature animated film, beating Shrek the Third’s $121.6M. Warner Bros./New Line/Universal’s Central Intelligence is also maintaining the traction we saw earlier in the day, now estimated to clear $11M-12M today (inclusive of $1.84M Thursday night previews), and an opening of $31M-$32M. Audiences love the Dwayne Johnson-Kevin Hart PG-13 comedy combo with an A- CinemaScore and critics haven’t thrown it under the bus with a 69% fresh Rotten Tomatoes rating.

What’s giving these films a further boost this weekend is Father’s Day on Sunday — a prime moviegoing day. Sunday for Dory and Central Intelligence is only expected to be down respectively -20% and -15% from Saturday. Currently, analysts show Dory being slightly front-loaded with a -15% dip on Saturday for $45M. While the common rule of thumb is that animated features go up on Saturday thanks to matinees, there’s a fandom nature to some Pixar titles and even Uni/Illumination’s Minions where’s a dip on the second day of release.

The sequel to Finding Nemo was first announced in July 2012 after Andrew Stanton was brushing the ash off from the $200M writedown John Carter. In April 2013, it was announced that the sequel would be aptly be titled Finding Dory. Disney – even prior to unveiling 30 minutes at CinemaCon back in April – teased footage at a Cannes Film Festival session last year.

Dory trailers exclusively debuted on-air and online on The Ellen Show, plus trailered in front of such Disney $300M-plus grossing films Zootopia  and The Jungle Book. The teaser trailer last November was the most socially discussed and shared title in Walt Disney Animation Studios or Pixar Animation Studios’ history with 67MM+ views in three day.

Casting your lead voiceover with the biggest name in daytime talk TV has its advantages. The total Disney social “fin-print” thanks to Ellen for Finding Dory reached 314MM and when added to DeGeneres’ social media channels, that figure jumps to a staggering 428MM.

Ellen was not only the exclusive debut partner for all the film’s trailers and posters, but devoted hours of in-show time to discussing the comedienne’s enthusiasm for the film, the filmmakers and cast and included premiere ticket giveaways, a performance by Sia and the final trailer debut.

Dory—with more than 25M likes on Facebook—is the most liked individual character of any brand at The Walt Disney Company (Disney, Marvel, Lucas, Pixar).

The studio launched a #HAVEYOUSEENHER campaign in February 2016 with four exclusive posters at AMC and Regal posters, plus glimaces on Ellen This was followed by a cross-platform media campaign that drove anticipation for the first full trailer release on March 2 on DeGeneres’ social platforms and in her show.

Dory’s promo partners include Aussie, BAND-AID Brand, Bounty, Coppertone, Ice Chips, Juicy Juice, Kellogg’s, KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese, Nature’s Harvest Bread, Pirate’s Booty, Quaker, SuperValu, Subway and Yoplait GoGurt.

CHART COMING…. 

• Like 2

Lionsgate's plan for La La Land is genius and they're finally making a good move for once:

Opening Weekend: 20M. Strong counterprogramming for Rogue One.

Christmas: 20M. It'll increase or decrease slightly.

New Year's: 17M. There are no new releases so it doesn't lose any theaters.

Jan 6: 11M. Strong WOM keeps it over 10M, and with only two new releases theaters will sooner get rid of stuff like Collateral Beauty or Why Him before this.

Jan 13: 8.5M. With four new releases (and no, I'm not counting Friday the 13th :lol: ) the TC drop could be harsh but that didn't hurt The Big Short on MLK.

Jan 20: 6.5M. Oscar nominations will likely be out and there are only two new releases so no major drop.

Jan 27: 4M. This weekend will be where the harsher drops start coming in. There are four new releases and this is the movie's 7th weekend.

Feb 3: 3.5M. Fortunately it'll rebound with only two minor new releases.

Feb 10: 2M. Three big new openers this weekend, but Valentines is during the week so a nice weekday will be there.

Feb 17: 1.2M. President's Day will save it from 50%.

Feb 24: 700k. One last push before the Oscars.

That's 94.4M from weekends alone.

4 minutes ago, department store basement said:

PA2 dropped 59% and Insidious 2 dropped 65% and I have no reason to believe it doesn't perform like those two

because conjuring 2 is way more popular and accepted than this films, and have a big week days

10 minutes ago, JeepCSC said:

There's a few problems with IO, not the least of which is Disney made it already and called it Cranium Command. Beyond that, it was heavy on the creativity but lacking in the pathos. Joy and Sadness were limited by their functional roles and I didn't think ever transcended that. So I was left at arm's length beyond the imaginary friend, one unconstrained.

It was a brainy animated film though, and I appreciated it on those merits.

That's not really a problem. Several movies and stories share similar plotlines, it just depends on how they executive it, that makes them feel "fresh". Saying something is similar to something else, isn't necessarily a good complaint.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

Solid opening for CI, definitely not the breakout it could have been. Dory overperforming doesnt help it either. Now it will need a strong multiplier to reach 100m. With summer weekdays and good WOM, looks plausible.

52 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

According to early screenings Collateral Beauty is a dud, so something like this wouldn't surprise me.

49 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It only started screening the other day but many have read the script and say it's terrible. 

Surely we know not to do this, right? Y'all're smart.

• Like 1

1).Finding Dory (DIS), 4,305 theaters / $53M Fri. (includes $9.2M previews) / 3-day cume: $134.1M /Wk 1

2). Central Intelligence (WB/NL/UNI), 3,508 theaters / $11M-$12M Fri. (includes $1.84M previews) / 3-day cume: $31M-$32M/Wk 1

3). Conjuring 2 (WB/NL), 3,356 theaters (+13) / $5.2M Fri. (-68%) / 3-day cume: $15.2M (-62%)/Total cume:$71.4M/Wk 2

4). Now You See Me 2 (LG), 3,232 theaters (0)/ $3M Fri. (-64%) / 3-day cume: $10.6M (-52%)/ Total cume:$42.4M/Wk 2

5). Warcraft (UNI/LEG), 3,406 theaters (+6) / $2M Fri. (-81%) / 3-day cume: $6.8M (-72%)/ Total cume:$38M/Wk 2

6). Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (PAR), 3,086 theaters (-985)/ $1.7M Fri. (-58%) / 3-day cume: $6.2M (-57%)/Total Cume:$72.9M/Wk 3

7). X-Men: Apocalypse (FOX), 2,632 theaters (-953) / $1.46M Fri. (-47%) / 3-day cume: $5.6M (-43%) /Total cume: $146.5M/Wk 4

8). Me Before You (MGM/New Line/WB), 2,645 theaters (-117) / $1.47M Fri. (-52%) / 3-day cume: $4.3M (-53%)/Total cume: $46.5M/Wk 3

9). Captain America: Civil War (Disney), 1,434 theaters (-667) / $561K Fri. (-52%)/ 3-day cume: $2.2M (-48%) /Total cume: $401.2M/ Wk 7

10). The Angry Birds Movie (SONY/ROVIO), 2,021 theaters (-1,062)/ $578K Fri. (-69%) / 3-day cume: $2.1M (-68%)/Total cume: $103.6M/ Wk 5

@CJohn RIP  CONJ2

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 1