FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

This opening confirms the high SS predicts are insane, I understand it's apples to oranges but people need to understand how difficult $140m+ openers are...

Where are people predicting 140M for SS? We need to send them to a mental institution. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Star Lord said:

In a summer where there are many flops and disappoints, we can't even cheer for a movie that grosses 400M dom and over 1B WW. If they don't make Avengers money then it's not great, basically.

Would you prefer I say, it did excellent for a Captain America sequel?

• Like 2

Legs have been godawful across the board.

Even though I don't want sequel and superhero filled summers, the kind of drops that everything has been getting is just embarrassingly bad. 

Even "adult" skewing movies like Money Monster and Nice Guys have had really shoddy legs compared to what would have been expected in the past. Me Before You is having a rather shitty run too, though less surprising with that demographic, but still disappointing. 

Besides Zootopia and the Jungle Book, has anything even had a remotely respectable run so far this year? I think mostly everything has performed poorly compared to past performances of similar movies. I know frontloading has increased, but it's just disheartening to watch. As always, I'd rather a film open to $40m and close with $200m than a film opening with $100m and closing with $200m. The latter is boring and a reflection on our society today (and perhaps also the shittiness of the film). 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am still shocked a semi-Avengers movie didn't beat IM3. And Civil War only did what it did because it had RDJ's Iron Man. 

T'is all a matter of perspective. I mean, a couple months before BvS came out, I think a lot of people expected Civil War to hit right around 400 million, and BvS to do slightly more.

But with all those raves, I thought it was going to catch on a bit more than it did in the end. Doesn't make it bad, far from it. But somebody asked us to celebrate, so the feeling that I have is just "Yay...ok"

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

Just now, MrPink said:

T'is all a matter of perspective. I mean, a couple months before BvS came out, I think a lot of people expected Civil War to hit right around 400 million, and BvS to do slightly more.

But with all those raves, I thought it was going to catch on a bit more than it did in the end. 

But even his legs were terrible. It opened above Iron Man 3 pretty much everywhere and the only place where it stayed above Iron Man 3 was Portugal apparently. And it will end below it DOM and OS.

9 minutes ago, Star Lord said:

In a summer where there are many flops and disappoints, we can'casan't even cheer for a movie tha t grosses 400M dom and over 1B WW. If they don't make Avengers money then it's not great, basically.

It's a very good milestone but legs have been abysmal WW. If it had any kind of legs 1.3B maybe even 1.4B was possible instead it struggled to have decent holds. 

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Legs were worse than almost anyone predicted, I don't want to use the term SH/CBM/Marvel fatigue but...

Yup, the problem were the legs. It opened above Iron Man 3 pretty much everywhere. And it dropped like a rock a week later.

• Like 1

Just now, BK007 said:

Legs have been godawful across the board.

Even though I don't want sequel and superhero filled summers, the kind of drops that everything has been getting is just embarrassingly bad. 

Even "adult" skewing movies like Money Monster and Nice Guys have had really shoddy legs compared to what would have been expected in the past. Me Before You is having a rather shitty run too, though less surprising with that demographic, but still disappointing. 

Besides Zootopia and the Jungle Book, has anything even had a remotely respectable run so far this year? I think mostly everything has performed poorly compared to past performances of similar movies. I know frontloading has increased, but it's just disheartening to watch. As always, I'd rather a film open to $40m and close with $200m than a film opening with $100m and closing with $200m. The latter is boring and a reflection on our society today (and perhaps also the shittiness of the film). 

Deadpool might have "only" gotten a 2.7x but it's a very impressive run

Cloverfield got a 2.9x and nearly beat the original

Kung Fu Panda 3's run wasn't anything special but it had very strong legs

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

This opening confirms the high SS predicts are insane, I understand it's apples to oranges but people need to understand how difficult $140m+ openers are...

I agree. SS is way too odd to make 140 OW. I don't even see 100.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

But even his legs were terrible. It opened above Iron Man 3 pretty much everywhere and the only place where it stayed above Iron Man 3 was Portugal apparently. And it will end below it DOM and OS.

cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-sex-god-2014- 

• Like 3