FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

2 hours ago, lobogotti said:

that Friday number is sick.  thanks for posting.  when I saw $50M-$52M yesterday I knew that had to be way low.  the late nights in my area were selling 70%+.  before Thursday numbers came in I had set a $55M minimum Friday based on the low end pre-sales of my local theater.

love seeing records slaughtered.  here's hoping for a $145M OW, but as I have read here this morning even if it doesn't get there let's be happy in the fact this is an amazing accomplishment in our current dismal box office environment.

It is great to see some life and Dory is as deserving as anything. But there is something worrying...Dory's success and the meh might be flip sides of the same coin. A lot of people only come out for event movies, especially millenials. Hollywood has tried to make itself matter in the age of streaming, Netflix, and sizable flat screens by offering the biggest. So, blockbusters and tentpoles that are the biggest hits fly high and everything else has a hard time finding an audience and a lot of movies fare really badly.

There is still an audience and good numbers can happen. But, is this a good state of affairs for a creative industry?

Edited by superweirdo87
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

It is great to see some life and Dory is as deserving as anything. But there is something worrying...Dory's success and the meh might be flip sides of the same coin. A lot of people only come out for event movies, especially millenials. Hollywood has tried to make itself matter in the age of streaming, Netflix, and sizable flat screens by offering the biggest. So, blockbusters and tentpoles that are the biggest hits fly high and everything else has a hard time finding an audience and a lot of movies fare really badly.

There is still an audience and good numbers can happen. But, is this a good state of affairs for a creative industry?

Maybe they should y'know, make better movies consistently?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

At least we don't suck superhero's cocks monthly like Americans :redcapes: 

Looking at those superheroes, I won't blame anyone for wanting to suck their cocks and more.

Edited by Captain H
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Doe said:

Timeout for one second, that drop for Warcraft can't be right...that's like one of the biggest I've ever seen. 

Not exactly surprising. WOM is toxic outside of the fanbase. 

1 minute ago, Arlo245 said:

Batman v Superman ends its run with less than a 2x multiplier :lol:

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend:  $166,007,347
(#1 rank, 4,242 theaters, $39,134 average)
% of Total Gross:  50.3%
> View All 12 Weekends
Widest Release:  4,256 theaters
Close Date:  June 16, 2016
In Release:  84 days / 12 weeks

The putrid Godzilla 2014 even managed better than that...ewwww!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Well,  the reality is there hasn't been much worth seeing apart from the blockbusters this year so far.  All of the small budget movies with potential look to be bunched up at the end of the year. 

Edited by tribefan695

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's everyone expecting from The Shallows and Free State of Jones next weekend? The latter is getting a big ad push but I feel it's not connecting. Curious as to what the reviews will be like.

Solid numbers for both. 16-18M for FSoJ and 18-20M for Shallows. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

What's everyone expecting from The Shallows and Free State of Jones next weekend? The latter is getting a big ad push but I feel it's not connecting. Curious as to what the reviews will be like.

I think they're both looking at a 12-16M opening.