baumer

Monday Numbers (Dory)...20M or just under RTH

4 hours ago, pieman said:

It's sad that the only movies that have been able to cross $100M this year have been comic book movies or animated movies. It tells you a lot about the state of the film industry.

Central Intelligence, ID42, Bourne 5, Ghostbusters, Star Trek 3, Pete's Dragon could all do it. 

Conjuring 2 and Bad Moms have an outside chance. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So... What kind of second weekend for Dory? I'm thinking about $75M+. But, that might be a bit too high though.

From a $13 million Thursday

$25 million Friday

$33 million Saturday

$24 million Sunday

$82 million 2nd weekend.

$70 million+ second weekend should happen if Tuesday increases or stays relatively flat and Wed/Thurs combine for $25-30 million. 

$80 million+ weekend might be too bullish, but no family competition should help out a little bit. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Captain H said:

Cars 3.... yup, I definitely will skip that one.

Oh please no...I mean, Cars 1&2 were fine but that's their only franchise I'm not interested in..Other Pixar movies we know about?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

No, Monday wasn't inflated at all, the way I read it.  If it would have had a normal Sunday, this drop would be about 50%, in line with TS3.  So the Monday number isn't inflated and Tuesday should behave normally, imo.

No, Monday is really inflated because of game 7 lol. 

Secret life of Pets will prevent Dory to hit the big league bo-wise.

Beating Civil War should be considered a victory.

I am not sure people understand the legs thing aroung these parts.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Oh please no...I mean, Cars 1&2 were fine but that's their only franchise I'm not interested in..Other Pixar movies we know about?

we know about toy story 4 (2018) and the incredibles 2 (2019), both of which I am sure will be solid, maybe even great. There's also Coco which comes out next year, which is inspired by a Mexico holiday about the dead (or something like that.). Two more pixar movies will release in 2020, both could be original films.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Central Intelligence, ID42, Bourne 5, Ghostbusters, Star Trek 3, Pete's Dragon could all do it. 

"Could" being the operative word there. Doesn't change the fact that for half the year the only films that have cleared $100m are animated or comic book films. And nothing else has come even remotely close.

Estimations for the rest of Dory and CI's runs:

Dory:

Remainder of the week: 75M (205.1M total)

Jun 24: 70M (40M weekdays, 315.1M total)
Jul 1: 40M (24M weekdays, 379.1M total)

Jul 8: 18M (12M weekdays, 409.1M total)

Jul 15: 10M (7M weekdays, 426.1M total)

Jul 22: 5M (3.5M weekdays, 434.6M total)

Jul 29: 3.5M (2M weekdays, 440.1M total)

Aug 5: 2M (1.2M weekdays, 443.3M total)

Aug 12: 1.4M (800k weekdays, 445.5M total)

Final Total: 450M (3.33x)

The lack of appealing family options inbetween Pete's Dragon and Storks should push Dory to 450M (Wild Life isn't doing more than Norm). The ogrelord will still reign supreme. 

CI:

Remainder of the week: 8M (43.5M total)

Jun 24: 17.5M (4M weekdays, 65M total)

Jul 1: 8.7M (2.3M weekdays, 76M total)

Jul 8: 4.2M (1.2M weekdays, 81.4M total)

Jul 15: 2M (700k weekdays, 84.1M total)

Final Total: 87M (2.45x)

Nothing so far that indicates this will have amazing legs.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

we know about toy story 4 (2018) and the incredibles 2 (2019), both of which I am sure will be solid, maybe even great. There's also Coco which comes out next year, which is inspired by a Mexico holiday about the dead (or something like that.). Two more pixar movies will release in 2020, both could be original films.

The Incredibles 2? OMG it was high time!!

Toy Story 4 could become the biggest animated movie EVER if they had Marvel/Star Wars toys :wub:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Cool man - we like having new "believers" if you will lol

Summer behaves much differently from any other time of year - think of the 2 weeks of Christmas break and then stretch that out to 8 weeks of summer (give or take) we have much larger weekdays but far smaller Friday and Saturday increases. A film like Dory will probably increase less than 50% on both Friday and Saturday this coming weekend.

NOT saying that 20m isn't impressive its still #10 on the largest freaking mondays ever lol but the playing it off as abnormal is just wishful thinking on some people parts - or in your case due to lack of knowledge.

There's the narniadis I remember. Not condescending at all.

Gotta say, the way you consistently poo-pooed Zootopia's run was probably accurate. It's just that Zootopia actually was an outlier. It remains to be seen how Finding Dory performs.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Don't want to be that guy BUT... FD may beat Shrek 2 unadjusted but we all know it will finish lightyears behind in the attendence figures.

Was any of you around a BO forum of this kind when Shrek 2 was doing its run? How was it like to experience that?

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Don't want to be that guy BUT... FD may beat Shrek 2 unadjusted but we all know it will finish lightyears behind in the attendence figures.

Well, sure. We might never again see a year that has 1.5 billion tickets sold.

The Incredibles 2? OMG it was high time!!

Toy Story 4 could become the biggest animated movie EVER if they had Marvel/Star Wars toys :wub:

That's an interesting idea. Darth Vader or Iron Man?

36 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I hope Dory takes the all time biggest animated film crown from Shrek 2.

Seems to be within reach unless game 7 really did inflate Monday. :jeb!:

I want that too, Pixar needs the top spot :P

• Like 1