WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

Shallows was so mediocre, I already forgot it existed until I entered this thread. 

Btw, lol at someone whose mom was pregnant with them in 1991 but didn't show (meaning probably born in 1992) becoming a doctor at like 25. Because of course we could not have rooted for a protagonist in her late 20s/early 30s. She needed to be under 25! I mean Blake looks like she's in her 30s. She's got laugh lines. 

23 hours ago, MikeQ said:

The argument that Finding Dory will have a "hard time" in the UK because Pets opened big is a fallacious one. That's been proven wrong time and time again, and we know that big well-received films can co-exist (all we have to do is look to last summer domestically with Inside Out, Jurassic World, and Minions -- Inside Out and Jurassic World co-existed beautifully, and Inside Out only dropped 40% against Minions huge $113 million opening weekend). Perhaps you know more about how the UK market behaves than I do; however, Finding Dory, from my knowledge, doesn't open until July 29th in the UK, so I'm not sure precisely what are you trying to argue.

What also confuses me is that in the same post you suggest the opposite logic domestically - that with Pets on the way, this will hurt Dory, rather than Dory's huge opening meaning Pets will have a hard time.

Certainly Dory's opening in France is very disappointing, but I would hesitate extrapolating that to other regions so readily. You don't mention, for example, that Dory is outdoing Nemo in most other comparable regions it has opened, such as Argentina, Australia, Russia, and obviously China. It has yet to open in Germany, Japan, UK, Mexico, etc, etc. It looks like most of it's biggest markets are in July.

So, I'm not sure that your overall argument holds up, from my perspective.

Peace,

Mike

Worth noting that France is currently in the midst of Euro 2016 fever, with a huge knockout game for the home nation that took place on Sunday. 

I'm sure Dory's legs will be just fine there

• Like 5

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

Shallows was so mediocre, I already forgot it existed until I entered this thread. 

Btw, lol at someone whose mom was pregnant with them in 1991 but didn't show (meaning probably born in 1992) becoming a doctor at like 25. Because of course we could not have rooted for a protagonist in her late 20s/early 30s. She needed to be under 25! I mean Blake looks like she's in her 30s. She's got laugh lines. 

Can't spoiler tag on my phone so I'm just deleting the original comment. 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I think you are looking for things to complain about if that is what bothers you about the film.  I read your review and disagree with it entirely, but different strokes different folks.

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I think you are looking for things to complain about if that is what bothers you about the film.  I read your review and disagree with it entirely, but different strokes different folks.

Did this person even watch it though? The person thinks Lively's character was a doctor when they made it clear from the get go that she dropped out of medical school. That was the basis of why she even fought back against the shark. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Did this person even watch it though? The person thinks Lively's character was a doctor when they made it clear from the get go that she dropped out of medical school. That was the basis of why she even fought back against the shark. 

She watched it.  She just likes to rip on a lot of films.  She has very different tastes than a lot of us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

She wasn't a doctor. She was a medical school drop out. They made that so obvious in the film too. Her conversation with her father was all about that. About how not everyone can be helped. Like did you even watch the movie? And lol at Lively looking like she's in her 30s...I mean she is 28 about to turn 29. People don't age backwards. 

In the cheesy, corny epilogue, her father smiles proudly and refers to her as "Dr. Adams." Don't you get it? She fought! She wasn't a fighter before. She used to give up on things. Because her mom fought and still died. But she learned and grew from her shark experience! And so she ended up finishing her studies and becoming a doctor. Her character had an ARC! 

30 minutes ago, Baumer said:

By how much?  We need to know if it goes under 40...lol....lots of bets riding on that number.

I am waiting for the drops for IDR this week. They are going to be massive,with the WOM being pretty toxic.

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

In the cheesy, corny epilogue, her father smiles proudly and refers to her as "Dr. Adams." Don't you get it? She fought! She wasn't a fighter before. She used to give up on things. Because her mom fought and still died. But she learned and grew from her shark experience! And so she ended up finishing her studies and becoming a doctor. Her character had an ARC! 

Her back story made perfect sense. You're just finding something to complain about. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Typically JL-David O'Russel collaborations make 125+ m.

Joy didn't even make half that.

Then you have the fact that she might've actually hurt Apocalypse's box office if anything.

Typically David ORussell's movies have good reviews.  In Joy, only her performance was universally praised.  She is generally credited with its having a $17M OW when estimates were lower (based on reviews) and 60%ish said they came just for her.  Forbes and other sites consider her to be one of the few movie stars who is actually a draw BECAUSE Joy was able to do what it did, given its critical reception. ($17M OW and > $100M worldwide.)  It was DOR that reviews were hitting when they were bad (the reviews were split, excellent or really bad.)  And she got an Academy Award nomination for the role.  I'd say she did her part.

And on XA I think she helped it, but we will never know since we don't have the movie with and without her to compare.  I only know that she is the reason I saw it -- twice.  And despite ITS lackluster reviews, it has made over $150M domestic and over $500M worldwide, to date.  It was Fox's second biggest opening ever in China.

We'll see with Passengers.

Edited by trifle

31 minutes ago, Nova said:

She was a third year medical school drop out when the shark attack happened so it would make sense that a year later she would be able to become a doctor had she finished medical

school. A 26-27 year old doctor is not out of the ordinary. But yes I'm glad they have her character some substance. I mean usually when someone of importance passes, people lose their ways. Her back story made perfect sense. You're just finding something to complain about. 

No it was corny and too on the nose. This was not a movie that trusted the audience or their intelligence. I'd take Piranha 3D any day over it -- at least that was unabashedly dumb and unapologetic about it. Plus Elizabeth Shue > the Gossip Girl. 

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

No it was corny and too on the nose. This was not a movie that trusted the audience or their intelligence. I'd take Piranha 3D any day over it -- at least that was unabashedly dumb and unapologetic about it. Plus Elizabeth Shue > the Gossip Girl. 

And u just proved you have an agenda with it. 

I'll just say this: if you want to watch a good shark attack movie, watch Open Water. If you want to watch a good dumb fun animal attack movie in the water, watch Piranha 3D. And if you want to watch a good man vs nature movie, watch The Grey.