Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

Really good start for The Purge, which should be able to clear at least $30 million for the weekend proper.

Tarzan did significantly better than I thought it would. Even with the aggressive marketing, I thought it was destined to go down the same non-starter path as The Lone Ranger and Terminator: Genisys did in recent 4th of July weekends.

Disappointing for BFG, but it also seems unsurprising with Disney's half-hearted push and Dory's continued power.

People should think more about the implications of inflation on this forum.

Tarzan is a disaster, the minimum for this kind of big blockbusters is not 100M dom anymore, it is 130-150m.

While Universal isn't dominating like they did last summer, they've got plenty of profitable films with The Purge, Pets and Jason Bourne plus Central Intelligence OS which will make for the floppage of Warcraft, Popstars and Neighbours 2. 

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

While Universal isn't dominating like they did last summer, they've got plenty of profitable films with The Purge, Pets and Jason Bourne plus Central Intelligence OS which will make for the floppage of Warcraft, Popstars and Neighbours 2. 

CI is doing terrible overseas

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Yea I was just about to say that. I think it's OS total right now is just $20M or something like that. 

It's somewhere between 14M-17M I think :jeb!: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

CI is doing terrible overseas

Most of the OS cash is going to come from UK and Australia, it has only just been released in the UK and Australia this week anyway. The budget's low enough for it to be profitable for Universal even if ends up at $60-80m OS

25 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

People should think more about the implications of inflation on this forum.

Tarzan is a disaster, the minimum for this kind of big blockbusters is not 100M dom anymore, it is 130-150m.

Tarzan is a disaster no matter which way you cut it. Even if it beat out expectations, it's a disaster. It's barely going to clear $100M domestically (if it even does that) so I wouldn't walk around saying Tarzan did good. I'd be embarrassed if I said that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Most of the OS cash is going to come from UK and Australia, it has only just been released in the UK and Australia this week anyway. The budget's low enough for it to be profitable for Universal even if ends up at $60-80m OS

Pretty sure Universal will say no to a sequel. 

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Neighbors 2 did not flop. It had a $35 million budget and has made $100 million WW. 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

The only way a CI sequel happens is if the budget is brought down to 30-35M.

I don't see a sequel simply because Johnson and Hart probably would get pay bumps which would increase the budget for a sequel and the film ended really well without a sequel hook.