WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

If $36 million is correct for the Friday (Deadline, as others have mentioned, can't be trusted, but for the sake of illustration, let's say their high end of the estimate is somehow correct), it would mean it's Friday gross excluding previews is $30.7 million. So the weekend could look something like:

Previews: $5.3 million

Friday (Sans Previews): $30.7 million

Saturday: $32 million (+4.5%)

Sunday: $26.2 million (-18%)

OW TOTAL: $94.2 million

The best comparison I can think of is Inside Out, being an original animated film that also opened in the summer in the comparable $90-100 million area. Inside Out was essentially flat on the Saturday (up ~1% from the Friday excluding previews), and dropped 18.5% on the Sunday.

Illumination has branded themselves now as the "Minions/Despicable Me" studio, and advertising for Pets was pervasive a year in advance of it's opening. I don't expect it to play like a pure original animated film because of those reasons (similar to Pixar being a brand). But maybe I'm wrong in thinking that. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So what's next this summer:

"Fuck them lady Ghostbusters."

"Fuck them Klingons."

"Fuck that squirrel."

"Fuck Matt Damon."

"Fuck them mothers." (or is it "them motherfuckers"?)

"Fuck them bad guys."

"Fuck that boy's dragon."

"Fuck that sausage."

"Fuck Miles Teller."

You're forgetting the crucial STUPID modifier.

And the huge and bold text.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So what's next this summer:

"Fuck them lady Ghostbusters."

"Fuck them Klingons."

"Fuck that squirrel."

"Fuck Matt Damon."

"Fuck them mothers." (or is it "them motherfuckers"?)

"Fuck them bad guys."

"Fuck that boy's dragon."

"Fuck that sausage."

"Fuck Miles Teller."

Isn't this a fairly common saying?:ph34r: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

You're forgetting the crucial STUPID modifier.

"Fuck Matt Damon" doesn't require the "stupid" modifier because I'm sure most people (of both genders and preferences) would happily oblige.

Edited by filmlover

Insane. So PETS is looking at the biggest original animation OW currently held by IO.

30.2 (35.5)

88.5 FSS

3.25-3.45x gives 288-305m

Edited by a2knet

Just now, CrispyLips said:

Can someone tell me what this FUCK THAT FUCK THIS is about?

CJohn started saying it on Dory's OW because he was mad that Dory was the movie to breakout this summer and it eventually caught on with Baumer.

Edited by WrathOfHan

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Since we're well into summer now, it's natural that The Secret Life of Pets is gonna experience some level of frontloading. I'm sure plenty of camps are making trips to the theater today.

We sure as hell ain't going back after we already saw Dory. Feel like most camps picked their movie of the summer already too and it was that stupid blue fish 

Can Kubo please be the next animated breakout? The marketing has looked ridiculously good and it releases late enough to be out of the range of fire of Dory and SLOP. Would be nice to see that Chicken Run record finally fall. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Can Kubo please be the next animated breakout? The marketing has looked ridiculously good and it releases late enough to be out of the range of fire of Dory and SLOP. Would be nice to see that Chicken Run record finally fall. 

For Kubo, $100m dom is the insane breakout level.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's being positioned in the dreaded slot of late August (when the tumbleweeds begin rolling in) so probably not.