WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Where I expect Dory to land:

Jul 8: 19.2M (12.3M weekdays, 433.7M Total)

Jul 15: 11.5M (6.9M weekdays, 452.1M Total)

Jul 22: 5.8M (3.4M weekdays, 461.3M Total)

Jul 29: 3.8M (2.2M weekdays, 467.3M Total)

Aug 5: 1.9M (1M weekdays, 470.2M Total)

Aug 12: 1.3M (700k weekdays, 472.2M Total)

Final Total: 477M (3.53x)

It's going to need great drops (sub-40) from here on out for 500M.

You're expecting its weekdays to drop 60% from last week? Why?

Are you serious right now? Its drops the past two weekends have been 35% and its day to day drops have been on the low end especially compared to other films on the list. It's going to get to $130M by the end of its run which would give it a 3.7x which is very very good. To say otherwise is ridiculous and nonsense. Not every comedy film is going to preform like The Hangover.

*slowly claps*

Yeah! Central Intelligent is having amazing legs!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

What :lol:

Easy. If Pets crosses Zootopia domestically, don't you think that's going to cause some envious executives?

In any case, it's a good thing for the artform of animation if Pets does well.

30 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Why would it drop that hard against a $30 million opener? I don't see GB being real competition 

I could easily see it rebounding with a 15-20% drop next week to offset the 50-55% drop this week. 

Also, why such a harsh drop against Suicide Squad? That has almost zero kid appeal. 

I'm expecting Ant-Man numbers on Ghostbusters :lol: 

As for SS, I'm expecting every movie that isn't Bourne or Bad Moms to take a hit that weekend.

19 minutes ago, bladels said:

You're expecting its weekdays to drop 60% from last week? Why?

Fourth of July.

DORY is not falling short of 490m. And above 490m, low 490s is the only way Disney probably let's it stay here. Mid-high 490s are going to lead to a mini-expansion.

But looking at the weekdays DORY has been having, the legs so far, it will get over 500m without any help.

It's silly that one Friday (which follows a strong Thu hold) which has huge competition is being looked at so pessimistically.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Terrible for BFG. Disney has had huge hits this year but ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS and THE BFG are big misfires.

Correction: BFG didn't make any money. It's not a misfire. 

What a depressing summer for studio movies. 

• Like 1

I for one am not surprised by The BFG's performance. It's Cannes reception was okay not great and coupled with trailers that just didn't seem interesting/didn't capture people's attention. Add in Dory and SLOP and it was bound to fail. Like who is going to take their kid to see a giant looking pedophile when they can take their kid to see the blue fish or a bunch of talking animals? 

• Like 2