WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It depends on what you normally pay at the theaters you go to and when you normally go. If you normally do matinees, then no MP is not worth it. Also if you live outside a big city where prices are below $8 on average, then again probably not worth it. Most importantly, you can't cancel before 12 months without paying a fee (something they're VERY sneaky about advertising).

I believe the average rate most places is $35 a month for it. So that's $420 a year. If you pay on average, say $8 a movie, then you really need to be seeing near 60 movies a year or 5 movies a month to get a deal out of it. Some other issues I have with it is that the one movie a day policy is actually a one movie every 24 hours policy. As in if you see your movie at 8pm and want to go to a 7:30pm showing the next night, you're SOL. Gotta wait the FULL 24 hours. This has proved way more problematic for me then I imagined, since if I'm going to see a movie in a group where I can't necessarily dictate the time, it can be hard to end up using it if I saw a movie the day before.

Also no repeats of movies. Though there's a pretty easy cheat for that one, since you can just pick a movie you know you're not gonna see and "sneak" into the theater for the movie you want to see again (i.e. same as the teenager R rated sneak method). Finally, if you see a lot of indies mainly at local non-chain theaters, that theater probably isn't on MP and that could be the dealbreaker for you.

So yeah, just consider all those things. I'm almost done with my year's subscription and I think it was mildly worth it for me, but there were a lot more negatives than I had anticipated. 

You don't have to sneak in, MoviePass just loads money onto your card and has no idea what movie you're paying for. Another thing is it doesn't work with advance ticketing so if you have a reserved seating theater or are going to a busy showing you're out of luck.

• Like 2

Just now, cannastop said:

Is it really a tragedy that there aren't any successful adult movies in cinemas now? I thought mature entertainment is what Netflix is for.

(not sure if troll) 

• Like 6

Kids love this? Then again I come from the generation that's been scarred because of films like IT so maybe I just find anything creepy/freaky. 88146_225.jpg

Well, at least my kids (10, 9 and 3) do not exactly "love" the appearance, but are not freightened by it either. Checking the trailer they found him "kind-looking" (reckon the voice had some effect), and I assume if they saw the movie, they would like it.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It depends on what you normally pay at the theaters you go to and when you normally go. If you normally do matinees, then no MP is not worth it. Also if you live outside a big city where prices are below $8 on average, then again probably not worth it. Most importantly, you can't cancel before 12 months without paying a fee (something they're VERY sneaky about advertising).

I believe the average rate most places is $35 a month for it. So that's $420 a year. If you pay on average, say $8 a movie, then you really need to be seeing near 60 movies a year or 5 movies a month to get a deal out of it. Some other issues I have with it is that the one movie a day policy is actually a one movie every 24 hours policy. As in if you see your movie at 8pm and want to go to a 7:30pm showing the next night, you're SOL. Gotta wait the FULL 24 hours. This has proved way more problematic for me then I imagined, since if I'm going to see a movie in a group where I can't necessarily dictate the time, it can be hard to end up using it if I saw a movie the day before.

Also no repeats of movies. Though there's a pretty easy cheat for that one, since you can just pick a movie you know you're not gonna see and "sneak" into the theater for the movie you want to see again (i.e. same as the teenager R rated sneak method). Finally, if you see a lot of indies mainly at local non-chain theaters, that theater probably isn't on MP and that could be the dealbreaker for you.

So yeah, just consider all those things. I'm almost done with my year's subscription and I think it was mildly worth it for me, but there were a lot more negatives than I had anticipated. 

Thanks for this! It was really informative and helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about it. My local theaters charge $12 and $14 per movie after 2PM. The matinees are $6.75 and $8. However apparently my area is just overpriced because movie pass here is $44.99. If it was $35 a month I probably would have considered it given everything you've said but for $44.99 a month I'm gonna pass because of everything you said which has also been said by others online based on what I've seen. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, I've been skeptical about getting it.

Some months I see many movies in theaters, some I don't (for a variety of reasons).  I don't like being trapped into gym-membership like contracts.  And I was skeptical about how nitpicky they seemed to be about rules.  I see some movies multiple times, and that rule struck me as odd.

Id have to go to the theaters at least once a week as well (and some weeks more) and it seemed like too much of a pain to really be worth it for me.

I like the idea of subscription based theater system, similar to Spotify or Netflix, but the appeal of those are they aren't all that limiting on how you can use their service.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You don't have to sneak in, MoviePass just loads money onto your card and has no idea what movie you're paying for. Another thing is it doesn't work with advance ticketing so if you have a reserved seating theater or are going to a busy showing you're out of luck.

Yes, but you still have to chose a movie you haven't seen before because it won't let you reserve a time for a movie you've already seen. At least mine won't. And good point about the reserved issue too, I have one theater around me that's like that and it's very hard with MP. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Yeah, that was bait. But it's a but ridiculous to piss and moan about the state of cinema in July.

Why? I fucking love movies but there's nothing out there that interests me, and that makes feel terrible. The summer season is like a parade of everything that's wrong with Hollywood today.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Okay that's a deal breaker for me then haha my theaters are all reserve seating and are always crowded. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Thanks for this! It was really informative and helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about it. My local theaters charge $12 and $14 per movie after 2PM. The matinees are $6.75 and $8. However apparently my area is just overpriced because movie pass here is $44.99. If it was $35 a month I probably would have considered it given everything you've said but for $44.99 a month I'm gonna pass because of everything you said which has also been said by others online based on what I've seen. 

Yeah, it does vary depending on the average price of your city I believe. Though if on average if you really pay between 12-14 a movie, MP would actually be more worth it for you at $45 a month than it is for me at $35. You'd really only need to see around 4 movies a month to get a good deal out of it. Unless you normally do the matinees. 

• Like 2

Next summer is going to be uneven again:

May is a colossal wasteland outside of GOTG.

June will do well box office wise but the only interesting movies are Kingsman, Wonder Woman, and The Mummy (maybe The House).

July looks great, 3/4 weeks have a movie I want to see and they'll all do great at the box office.

August is even worse than May; all it has is Alien.

• Like 1

Reserved seating is a deal breaker for me with Movie Pass. It seems like it'd be great for DC where tickets are very expensive but I'm definitely the kind of guy who needs to have a good seat in the house

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, it does vary depending on the average price of your city I believe. Though if on average if you really pay between 12-14 a movie, MP would actually be more worth it for you at $45 a month than it is for me at $35. You'd really only need to see around 4 movies a month to get a good deal out of it. Unless you normally do the matinees. 

I normally have to go at night because I have school or sometimes work during the day. On weekends is usually when I do matinees but it's not always the case so that's why I was really interested in it because $12 and $14 a movie isn't always fun and when a movie sucks that's probably why I get even more mad and critique it harder haha I guess I could just go to theater earlier to make sure I get a seat in order to by pass that pre-purchasing limitation. 

Edited by Nova

Here we go again, everyone wails every single year about this time that there are no adult movies, cinema is falling apart, blah blah blah blah and then a few weeks from now you get Jason Bourne, The Founder and Florence Foster Jenkins.  A few weeks after those you get Sully, Snowden, Deepwater Horizon, Birth of a Nation, The Girl on the Train and The Accountant.  

That is all in the next 3 months.  Cinema for adults is not dead and there will be multiple films that do very well.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, nilephelan said:

Here we go again, everyone wails every single year about this time that there are no adult movies, cinema is falling apart, blah blah blah blah and then a few weeks from now you get Jason Bourne, The Founder and Florence Foster Jenkins.  A few weeks after those you get Sully, Snowden, Deepwater Horizon, Birth of a Nation, The Girl on the Train and The Accountant.  

That is all in the next 3 months.  Cinema for adults is not dead and there will be multiple films that do very well.  

But Pets undoes all of that! :sadno:

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Reserved seating is a deal breaker for me with Movie Pass. It seems like it'd be great for DC where tickets are very expensive but I'm definitely the kind of guy who needs to have a good seat in the house

The only use I have for reserved seating at movies is if I'm going to a dine-in place like Flix or Alamo. Otherwise, I want the freedom to move if someone's blocking my view

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Fuck summer movies. Anything made by studios, anyway. Summer's are

now a wasteland. Used to be my favorite movie season, now it's the worst. 

Pixar doesn't need my support, btw. 

I've noticed over the past year or so that I want what I can't have. During he summer, all I want to see are the fall season Oscar baits. During the fall and winter, all I want are summer blockbusters.

• Like 3