grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah it looks like a lot of internet trolls but there are real legit one star ratings. A lot of two and two and a half stars too.

How do you tell the difference between a troll one star rating and a "legit" one star rating?

Edit: nvm, saw your above post

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

Oh shit, I need to make a Ghostbusters post. Well, I'm not a huge fan of the originals. I thought they were fine and enjoyable but I do not have a huge attachment to them. We already had a ghostbusters 3. It was a pretty enjoyable video game. I don't care who the hell is in the movie,  I just want it to be good.  That said, all this controversy has me going to see it. Otherwise, I may have waited for Red Box or something. So maybe there will be more curious folks like me.  I'm hoping for a big weekend!

BjiMQV3qRAivf9kzf9AQ_giphy%20(3).gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

How do you tell the difference between a troll one star rating and a "legit" one star rating?

Trolls are hitting it fast with 1/2 stars and it looks like this -

"steaming pile of manure. The jokes are poor and characters have no personality whatsoever. You can do ghostbusters with women in it as illustrated by the Cartoon Network series. This could have been a serious movie but they chose to make it completely garbage."

"complet bust crappy cgi and pure rasist against whiote men"

"there might have been worse movies. But I'm not sure I've seen them."

"Everything you're doing is bad, [we] want you to know this." - Janosz Poha"

"Bab, bad, bad, bad, bad. Don't waste your money or more preciously your time. Too many ways to count how bad this really is."

So you get the idea lol. The ones that actually go in depth I doubt are trolls. And I'm sure the rating will rise over the weekend.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Jason said:

(responding to this post instead of @somebody85 because it's easier to piggyback my point - but consider it a response as well :))

In many cases, you won't be able to.  Hence "poisioning the well".  Sure there will be legit 1/2 star reviews.  Wouldn't dream of saying otherwise.  But there's gonna be plenty of agenda driven shit-stiring going on from people who haven't seen the film or went in going to hate it no matter what.  As well as agenda driven shit-stirring from those who went in convinced they were going to love it.

And, frankly, it won't be worth the time and effort to try to figure out which is a real review, which is somone deciding to invoke Poe's Law for a laugh, and which are the real trolls.  At least it ain't worth MY time and effort. ;)

Object Lesson # 45782 why "poisoning the well" is so awful and counterproductive.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(responding to this post instead of @somebody85 because it's easier to piggyback my point - but consider it a response as well :))

In many cases, you won't be able to.  Hence "poisioning the well".  Sure there will be legit 1/2 star reviews.  Wouldn't dream of saying otherwise.  But there's gonna be plenty of agenda driven shit-stiring going on from people who haven't seen the film or went in going to hate it no matter what.  As well as agenda driven shit-stirring from those who went in convinced they were going to love it.

And, frankly, it won't be worth the time and effort to try to figure out which is a real review, which is somone deciding to invoke Poe's Law for a laugh, and which are the real trolls.  At least it ain't worth MY time and effort. ;)

Object Lesson # 45782 why "poisoning the well" is so awful and counterproductive.

Yeah I only spent about 10 or so minutes scrolling through the pages. Was legit curious.

If the review quotes lines that aren't in any spoiler review they have probably seen it though.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't rise by tomorrow night. Deadline just won't be able to use it as a judge of WOM for this weekend.

• Like 2

@somebody85  Trying to figure out which is a "real" review and which isn't is a waste of time, IMO.   At least in this case and probably for a while.  Even a "review" that goes on for paragraphs doesn't say all that much because, and I know this for an utter fact, way too many people have way too much time on their hands and spending 15 minutes on a fake review is pretty much child's play for some.

Is it "more likely" that a five paragraph screed (or sycophantic) review is more legit than a two line one?  Sure.  But still has a decent potential to be bogus.

Shame really, but what's one gonna do?

And even if most of the longer reviews are "legit" good luck actually using them to figure out what the "real" score "should" be.  Too much noise to filter out to try to find the signal in other words. :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah I only spent about 10 or so minutes scrolling through the pages. Was legit curious.

If the review quotes lines that aren't in any spoiler review they have probably seen it though.

Well, legit in that they actually saw it. Someone could have seen it and still be a troll (in either direction). ;)  Still, fair enough. :)

And, yes, Deadline is pretty much screwed here.  Well, more screwed than normal. :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@somebody85  Trying to figure out which is a "real" review and which isn't is a waste of time, IMO.   At least in this case and probably for a while.  Even a "review" that goes on for paragraphs doesn't say all that much because, and I know this for an utter fact, way too many people have way too much time on their hands and spending 15 minutes on a fake review is pretty much child's play for some.

Is it "more likely" that a five paragraph screed (or sycophantic) review is more legit than a two line one?  Sure.  But still has a decent potential to be bogus.

Shame really, but what's one gonna do?

And even if most of the longer reviews are "legit" good luck actually using them to figure out what the "real" score "should" be.  Too much noise to filter out to try to find the signal in other words. :)

Pretty much dude! Either go or don't go with this one. Trust whatever critic you like or decide for yourself.

There's no way to know. Curiosity is going to probably win tomorrow night.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I hope the movie does just okay. If it does great, the "fans" will be insufferable (@Chewy already mentioned how insufferable he would get :lol:). If it performs poorly, the haters will be insufferable.

Agreed. I'm hearing from a lot of people that the movie is fun but that's what it is. Just okay and nothing more. Not worth all of this attention from either side.

So to meet in the middle box office wise seems like the best bet for this weekend. Thinking 40-50 when alls said and done.

Also guessing it gets an A- or B+ Cinemascore.

Another wild card this weekend is people not following the controversy and IMDB. They might see that Flixster rating and think it's for real and hold off. A lot of people do go by that and don't click on the actual reviews from users. We'll see how it goes!

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

I hope the movie does just okay. If it does great, the "fans" will be insufferable (@Chewy already mentioned how insufferable he would get :lol:). If it performs poorly, the haters will be insufferable.

What is okay, great and poor for you? The problem is fans and haters won't probably agree with your ranges

Edited by stripe

So far it seems the crowds are similar to Fury Road for previews. Or Tomorrowland?

So predicting somewhere around $45 or $41 mill.

Somewhere around there? Curiosity could drive it higher. I really don't know.

Edited by somebody85

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:
Is there a reason why a bunch of Flixter trolls were quoted here? I can't see much purpose at all other than giving them a voice. 

That would be me, someone asked what the difference between a real legit one star or half star rating and a troll rating were. So I tried my best but it's really hard to judge.

Delete them if you want I guess lol

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1