grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

36 minutes ago, JediJones said:

Ghostbusters 2 more or less killed the franchise. The cartoon and toy line limped along for only another year or two, the normal amount of gas left in the tank you'd expect after a movie release. I watched every cartoon, had every toy and watched the original movie 200 times on VHS by the time of the sequel's release, and felt it was a big let-down. Ghostbusters 2 was unquestionably a disappointing film for most people, especially judging by how it opened on par with Last Crusade but ended up grossing not much more than half the total in the end. Siskel and Ebert's review of it was right on the mark.

Nevertheless, fans like myself would've been pumped to see a redemption of the franchise by a superior Ghostbusters 3. No one expected it could be as good as the original, but it certainly could have been as much of an improvement as MIB3 was over MIB2.

The cartoon and the toy-line limped around because of studio meddling and shake-up in story department (J Michael Straczynski leaving as lead story editor and writing), with a new idiotic censor board known as G5 trying so hard to dumb-down the show and essentially making Slimer the main character, as well as making Peter Venkman into an idiot, and changing his voice from Lorenzo Music to Dave Couiller. Ghostbusters 2 had absolutely nothing to do with that, other then them adding Louis Tully to the cartoon. There's actually a two-part video on Youtube by the user Pheleous that goes into detail about The Real Ghostbusters, titled The Real Ghostbusters Good Episode and Bad Episode. They also go into the downfall of the cartoon on a documentary on the DVD's of The Real Ghostbusters looking back on the show, which is up on Youtube. The story and eventual "downfall" of The Real Ghostbusters is actually quite interesting.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JediJones said:

Is that the kind of warm welcome you provide all your new members? I made a rock solid point and you reply with a personal attack instead of anything to dispute my argument. I'm hardly new to box office analysis. I've been a longtime reader of BoxOfficeMojo and was an active member of their old forums. Turning me away because you disagree with me is as petty and cheap as you could get. Is this forum for debate or to be an echo chamber?

Ghostbusters: The Game is the closest we'll get to a Ghostbusters 3 and it's pretty good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lord have mercy, I knew a bunch of Ghostbusters 2 love was gonna materialize to haunt us at some point in this whole debacle. 

Some people are just admitted that they enjoy the film, myself including. I don't think it's as good as the first as by any means.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

So did anyone see Ghostbusters? Any good? I've been catching up with '90s/GenX legend Winona Ryder's new Netflix show...which is good. 

After finishing Stranger Things I feel Ryder needs a comeback. 

38 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Kids are idiots, thats why SLOP is doing so well

Not really.

But even if some of them are, be fair, at least they can still grow out of it. The same can't be said for some adults.

Not sure how good the legs on Ghostbusters will be.

For family entertainment it's going to be competing with SLOP for a lot of it's run with Dory still in the market. I don't see Ice Age 5 being a big factor. Then Pete's Dragon is still coming even though it could be another BFG. So the question becomes have they had enough with so much already aimed at them?

For female entertainment, you have Bad Moms coming. That could be funny or terrible. Feigs comedies have held up well in the past, so if the same crowds that saw the rest go and see this and spread good WOM, it could work well through them. But this is still more a geek movie then a straight up female comedy like The Heat or Bridesmaids. 

For the male and geek crowd, I think they lose them by a lot next week. Star Trek: Beyond & Lights Out hit then you have Jason Bourne, Suicide Squad and Sausage Party on the way in an already crowded marketplace.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

That's fantastic for Ghostbusters. I was expecting a decrease on Saturday, like most other summer openers this year.

Only 4 other wide releases this Summer have had first Saturday increases or tiny drops. 

• Like 2

I lived through the downfall of Real Ghostbusters in real time. I think it pretty much lost its mojo after Lorenzo Music was replaced with Dave Coulier. Venkman is too important to the franchise to get wrong and Music really nailed it, Coulier not so much. Arsenio Hall being replaced was another nail in the coffin. I think that's when I mostly stopped watching. Slimer's solo cartoon was really a spin-off in a more kiddie style. His presence in the normal cartoon was a very good one during the good years of the cartoon. It looks like there were 78 "good" episodes produced and 82 after the voice replacements started happening. with exactly half of those airing after Ghostbusters 2's release.

But 160 episodes was still a very long run for a cartoon. 1987 Ninja Turtles apparently had 193, but that was the core media of the franchise, while the live-action movies were just spin-offs. You can stretch it and add in the 40 Extreme Ghostbusters episodes too, which aired only a year after TMNT ended. And of course the 13 Slimer episodes if you want. G.I. Joe had 139 episodes in its two related series and Transformers apparently 98. Looks like He-Man had 130.

You could argue that if Ghostbusters 2 had been a real hit, either the toy line or cartoon could have been popular enough to continue on, or that both had simply run their course or succumbed to other competition in toys and cartoons. However, there is definitely no evidence that Ghostbusters 2 helped give the franchise's tie-ins the boost in success that the original movie did.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Only 4 other wide releases this Summer have had first Saturday increases or tiny drops. 

Was it fantastic when Ninja Turtles 2 did it too? It's playing like a kids movie because most of the adult fan-base is turned off by the premise of the remake. That led to very depressed Thursday preview numbers compared to other franchise films like Star Trek and superhero movies. Playing like a kids movie is theoretically good for legs, but the movie is starting so low from where it needed to to be a success that it won't matter much.

This opening weekend was pumped up with a last-minute marketing infusion that will evaporate next week. It had an unfortunate lack of competition (for the other studios) because it would have been easy pickings for Star Trek or Suicide Squad. Star Trek will overperform due to the presence of a hot alien babe in the trailers, just as Avatar and Guardians did. The GB16 competitive advantage is ending next week. The drop-offs will be closer to TMNT2 than to Paul Feig's adult-aimed comedies.

Peanuts was better-received than GB16, got the same opening and even that only ended up with $130m. Even for kids, there is still a major brand name built into this opening, which means it's more frontloaded than an original, non-franchise comedy. Any hopes for more than a 3 multiplier are pure fantasy.

Edited by JediJones
  • Like 1