grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

Just now, DAJK said:

Seeing Ghostbusters in about an hour and a half :) Will let you all know what I think. The show I'm going to is 2D, have you heard anything good about 3D? Wouldn't want to miss out on anything ;)

The 3D is supposed to be amazing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I find it interesting that Woody Allen hasn't had a film open wide on its first weekend since Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Amazon and Lionsgate were going to do it for Cafe Society but decided to opt for a limited release first. I know it's common for awards contenders to open limited then expand, I assume in the case of Cafe Society and Absolutely Fabulous, the audience is niche hence why it's safer to open limited then expand if the PTA gross is good

All of Woody's movies since then have started in platform release.

Best case for SLOP if it holds is 15/19.5/15.6/50.1M. Worst case is 15/18/13.5/46.5M. The drop will be anywhere between 52-55%. How it compares to other animated movies (* means a holiday or inflated day was in the first weekend):

DM: 41.8%

DM2*: 47.4%

Minions: 57.4%

Lorax: 44.7%

Hop: 43.3%

Dory*: 46%

TS3*: 46.2%

IO*: 42.1%

MU: 44.7%

Brave: 48.6%

Cars 2: 60.3%

TGD*: 60.9%

Zootopia: 31.6%

BH6: 38.3%

Frozen*: 53.1%

Ralph: 32.7%

Tangled*: 55.7%

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Variety say $18,000,000 friday for Ghostbusters and $45m weekend, PETS $15m Friday for $50m weekend.

Lol. If pets does 15 today it'll do more like 55 for the weekend.

Could have a weekend without a 50m movie. Not that it's a disappointment or anything.

PETS is over-performing big time.

45m for GB is good going by the dislikes and venom folks were spewing.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Best case for SLOP if it holds is 15/19.5/15.6/50.1M. Worst case is 15/18/13.5/46.5M. The drop will be anywhere between 52-55%. How it compares to other animated movies (* means a holiday or inflated day was in the first weekend):

DM: 41.8%

DM2*: 47.4%

Minions: 57.4%

Lorax: 44.7%

Hop: 43.3%

Dory*: 46%

TS3*: 46.2%

IO*: 42.1%

MU: 44.7%

Brave: 48.6%

Cars 2: 60.3%

TGD*: 60.9%

Zootopia: 31.6%

BH6: 38.3%

Frozen*: 53.1%

Ralph: 32.7%

Tangled*: 55.7%

Minions was frontloaded being a spin-off, Pets' huge OW meant it was going to have a bigger drop off compared to other original films. 

• Like 1

Stop it guys. I'm not pulling numbers out of thin air. A 40% increase on Saturday gives it 21. That gives it 52-54 mill. I suspect it'll go up more today and tomorrow.

• Like 1

Told my manager I'm covering for this one girl tonight so he can adjust floats ahead of time, and he asked when I was seeing ghostbusters. I said pretty soon I'll go before my shift. He told me people who went to the first matinee really enjoyed it, he also said

"funny story, you'll like this one. Some guy came to the box office window after standing in line for over 10 minutes just to tell me he won't be seeing Ghostbusters."

Makes me wonder people where I live have wayyyyyy too much time on their hands.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Told my manager I'm covering for this one girl tonight so he can adjust floats ahead of time, and he asked when I was seeing ghostbusters. I said pretty soon I'll go before my shift. He told me people who went to the first matinee really enjoyed it, he also said

"funny story, you'll like this one. Some guy came to the box office window after standing in line for over 10 minutes just to tell me he won't be seeing Ghostbusters."

I would've been like "cool story, bro."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Should have tempted him with a free ticket.

• Like 1

I realize a lot of you don't know me here as I am new to the board.  I study box office performance like crazy, but post on HSX.  I have been tracking a theater over by me for the better part of a year.  I study the Fandango (reserved seating) up to show time and have an inside contact there as well  It's helped me land a lot of close midnights and Friday numbers in the past.  For a recent example I came up with $9.6M+ for Dory off a formula I have been using and it hit at $9.2M.  I posted this well before any numbers came out.

I realize nilephelan and RTH give concrete numbers (and that is much appreciated), their much more sturdy than my single point analysis.  But I will say that Ghost is running pretty hot in my location.  $5300 in sales currently.  At 20% higher than national average that's still gets it over $20M today when you add back in the preview of $3.4M.  At 35% it puts it over $17M.  We still have near 5 hours of business left, as I am in Indianapolis on EST.

I have seen us as high as 33% higher than the national average and maybe a tad higher on some outliers, but my studies tell me this is going to come in better than the $18M Deadline is saying (hopefully 10-20% better).  We sold out a Twilight earlier and that's tough to do without family attendance, which means the kids are going to this one... which will help the matinees, but I don't think necessarily hurt the evenings as much.

Take with a tiny grain of salt.  I just wanted to throw my two cents in that business seems very healthy for the film.

Edited by lobogotti
bad typer
  • Like 22