baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

Star Trek Beyond is excellent, and its biggest strength: it's a big studio movie in 2016 that actually remembers why we like blockbusters in the first place. It gets the sense of awe and human scale that defines what makes a good popcorn blockbuster, and loads it up with fun characters and twists to top it all off. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Rth said:

Boldly go to where no sat increase has gone before in July :P

What about Pets, Ghostbusters and Ice Age? Any numbers :D ?

Here's how I knew Star Trek Beyond got it- in the opening scenes of space and at the moonbase, it made me actually feel wonder at the possibility of this being a real thing. It made the majesty and awe of space and futuristic sci fi technology actually make me feel something, instead of just being an endless loud canvas of pointless action. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What about Pets, Ghostbusters and Ice Age? Any numbers :D ?

@Rth gives 0 fucks about other movies today. :)

• Like 1

Glad Star Trek Beyond is doing well. What I love most about it is that it captures the feelings I get when I hear the word "Star Trek," awe, wonder, and the hope that we as humans can accomplish peace someday

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Glad Star Trek Beyond is doing well. What I love most about it is that it captures the feelings I get when I hear the word "Star Trek," awe, wonder, and the hope that we as humans can accomplish peace someday

Only to fight aliens. :P

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Star Trek Beyond is excellent, and its biggest strength: it's a big studio movie in 2016 that actually remembers why we like blockbusters in the first place. It gets the sense of awe and human scale that defines what makes a good popcorn blockbuster, and loads it up with fun characters and twists to top it all off. 

I am excited to watch tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

This is for Saturday? But how?

Older crowd? More likely to make plans on Saturday or Sunday with family and friends than run out after work on a Friday night?  That might give it a stronger Sat and Sun compared to Friday.

2 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

Great for STB!

Is this the first summer where TWO movies directed by Asians opened at #1?

No. 2013 did it, funny enough, it was both Justin Lin and James Wan

• Like 2

Beyond is better than Into Darkness notnas good as 09. Rarely reaches beyond entertaining fluff. Pegg and Boutella had great chemistry, best thing in the movie.

The friend I saw it with was majorly disappointed

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Beyond is better than Into Darkness notnas good as 09. Rarely reaches beyond entertaining fluff. Pegg and Boutella had great chemistry, best thing in the movie.

The friend I saw it with was majorly disappointed

Your friend is stupid.

Hail Linsanity