MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yep.    Bourne went from the 15th to the 29th and then Trek followed later moving from the 8th to the 22nd for some inexplicable reason after Bourne's move gave them breathing room.

http://www.slashfilm.com/bourne-5-release-date/

Welp. I know that Pets ended up being huge but I'm rather baffled Trek didn't stay at July 8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

IIRC, Apes was supposed to release this weekend and then it moved and Mike and Dave was slotted in its place before that moved bringing Bourne to this release date. 

Still can't believe that in this crowded summer of movies, Ghostbusters was one of 2 movies to get a solo weekend release. Rival studios probably had high expectations of it to give it such a wide berth.

The Infiltrator also opened that weekend (even if it didn't do much).

2 minutes ago, pretty reckless said:

WHERE IS THE SHALLOWS???

Its has like 139 theaters this weekend. Its TC dropped dramatically the last two weekends because of new films opening up. I don't think its making enough money for Sony to actually report its numbers. They'll probably just fudge it from $53.9M to $54M, call it a day and focus on the international markets they have left with it. 

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Welp. I know that Pets ended up being huge but I'm rather baffled Trek didn't stay at July 8

I really thought they had a chance to do something unprecedented and move it to September 8 or so. Release the movie exactly on the 50th anniversary of the show with big marketing tie-ins and a huge pre-release campaign as opposed to having barely any mention of the anniversary. That would have also made Trek the big blockbuster among awards bait movies and seen if September is a viable release slot as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Infiltrator wasn't super wide. 1500 theaters is less than half what most other movies get in summer.

Whenever a movie hits 600 theaters or more, it's a wide release. The Infiltrator was never gonna be some major, 3,000+ theater release.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Whoever decided to move Trek away from July 8 probably feels like a moron now.

Why? Its not like Trek was preforming amazing during the weekdays for us it say that Bourne affected its weekend drop. 

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I really thought they had a chance to do something unprecedented and move it to September 8 or so. Release the movie exactly on the 50th anniversary of the show with big marketing tie-ins and a huge pre-release campaign as opposed to having barely any mention of the anniversary. That would have also made Trek the big blockbuster among awards bait movies and seen if September is a viable release slot as well.

CJohn and I  spit balled the idea of an early October release in the US and maybe slightly early overseas to avoid Inferno. I really think this could have done 180 million or so in the Martian slot

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Why? Its not like Trek was preforming amazing during the weekdays for us it say that Bourne affected its weekend drop. 

It was adult skewing, normally it would have a significantly higher than 57% Friday jump.  MI5 jumped 81% and POTA2 also jumped in the high 70s

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was adult skewing, normally it would have a significantly higher than 57% Friday jump.  MI5 jumped 81% and POTA2 also jumped in the high 70s

It's numbers during the week weren't even good for an adult skewing movie. 

Just now, mrqe93 said:

I need to see a movie to cure massive hangover. Which movie should I watch?

Lights Out

Jason Bourne

STB

Ghostbusters

Haven't seen Lights Out but Ghostbusters is definitely the most fun of the other three. Make that the top priority.

• Like 4