Nova

Tuesday: Suicide Squad $14.27M

1 minute ago, lupinw45 said:

Where did you hear that? Mark Waid and DC go well together!

DC has been on fire lately. I'm eagerly waiting the Wildstorm news at NY comic con. Now, if they can just release more Milestone book (Jim lee already said Milestone will have their own earth (Earth M).) That would make my day.

So Deadline has it doing 51-54 mill this weekend.  Too high probably but a hell of a lot more realistic than it doing 38 million.

5 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

So Deadline has it doing 51-54 mill this weekend.  Too high probably but a hell of a lot more realistic than it doing 38 million.

On the good side...that's a decent number,

On the other hand...Deadline.  

On on the bright side, Deadline isn't Nikki Finke drunk at 1 in the afternoon anymore.  Or is that a bad thing?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Jonathan Hickman supposedly might have something for DC. If its Justice League of America, Justice Society, or Legion paired w/ one of their 4 ace artists that aren't assigned to a title yet (Reis, Fabok, Mahnke, or Frank), I'd freak out.

Jason Aaron is okay in my book. Fraction, Remender, and Hickman looked like Marvel would have such a strong core of next-gen writers. Instead they're just being innovative for Image instead.

Imagine how amazing Marvel Rebirth would be though? DC has a strong line without even displaying their best talent yet, and I don't even know how they're doing it. Marvel, imo, probably has better talent, so just the right direction can go such a long way. I don't need the X-Men to be as great as the 70s and 80s, but I'm salivating at the thought that it could at least try to conjure what made that franchise so great instead of Bendising it.

You see, that's the problem. I'm not a DC Comics hater, I'm not a Marvel Comics hater. I'm a DC and Marvel Comics lover. Like Comic Book Girl 19 says, I go where the amazing stories are. It's not like EVERYTHING is wrong with Marvel Comics, but there are a SHIT LOAD of things wrong with the comics, and I feel that's mostly because of the disconnect between Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics. Marvel Comics is doing their thing, and since the "civil war" fallout between Feige and Perlmutter, things went to shit. Perlmutter is a cheap bastard that won't pay the creators their worth, while DC wasn't known for being creators friendly, DC is paying more for their talent and things are seemingly better after Rebirth. 

MEANWHILE, after Secret Wars, Marvel first lost Matt Fraction and Kieron Gillen. Then they lost Jonathan Hickman and Jason Aaron. Sincerely, this is way worse than when they lost Jim Lee and the Image guys back in the 90s. Jonathan Hickman is THE writer you want to be your universe architect. He's the guy that plans a whole universe outline and it does successfully. He should be getting WHATEVER HE WANTED to stay with Marvel Comics, not Bendis. Right now, I'd argue that the pool of talent, especially if we are talking writers, it's with DC Comics hands down. 

Marvel has Dan Slott, Mark Waid, G. Willow Wilson, David Walker, Al Ewing and Jason Aaron. DC Comics has Scott Snyder, Tom King, Tim Seeley, Margueritte Bennet, Greg Rucka, Benjamin Percy, Dan Abnett, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Rob Williams and I'm probably missing a lot of people, but those are the ones that I remember that are absolutely KILLING it. When you look at the DC Comics, you can see a pantheon of both classic and new characters. When I look to Marvel Comics, I barely recognize whatever is going on. A hell lot of Avengers teams and not ONE that I feel excited.  Jane Thor is an amazing and moving concept, but why to keep pushing her so hard when Natalie Portman won't be playing her in the movies? They have Angela, a LGBT character with a rich tapestry of story designed by Marguerite Bennet and Kieron Gillen, and now she's with Guardians doing whatever Bendis is doing with them. Angela could be the MCU's Wolverine if pushed right, she is a bad ass warrior with a hell lot of potential, why isn't she the one with the Avengers now? Falcon has ascended to stardom with Civil War and The Winter Soldier, and while his stories are amazing in Captain America, he's borrowing Cap's name. WHY? Make HIM shine instead. I want to read Falcon, not Falcap. It's everything so fucking dumb that it just makes me cringe.

What I'd do:

Get Dan Slott to write Amazing Spider-Man with Christos Gage full time, end the brilliant Silver Surfer run and make Dan Slott the architect of the Marvel Comics universe. Make him the guy writing the flagship Avengers team, make his book really matters. Riff it with Civil War and make it Captain Marvel leading Iron Man, Spider-Man, Vision, Silver Surfer, She-Hulk and Angela. Ultimates is the non-sanctioned "Avengers" like team that goes where the Avengers can't, and it's basically a more street level team and in disagreement with the Avengers, lead by Black Panther and based in Wakanda, with Captain America (not Hydra), Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Spectrum and Miss America Chavez, written by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Al Ewing. Those are the core teams that I'd like to see, and WAY MORE of an interesting mix and premise than what we are getting from Marvel Comics right now imho.    

8 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

DnA have been a glorious addition to the writing ranks since the 80s, but it was really their run on Legion of Super Heroes with Olivier Coipel that just floored me. Have you read it? If not, be sure to check it out. When people laughed at WBs ideas of making a Legion film, I don't think they've ever seen this run in comics. Btw, Mark Waid and Tom Peyer also wrote an amazing Legion run. They look so corny, but it's the best thing to 80's X-Men, Titans, Legion.

Also, watch Train to Busan. It has nothing to do with comics, but imo, best movie of the summer, lol.

I haven't read DnA's and Coipel but I'll check out. It's a shame that they stopped working together for some kind of personal reasons, but reading Dan Abnett's work and I think he's as good a writer as ever. I love Mark Waid, but he's all sorts of wrong in the Avengers right now, and it's incredible how his talents are going to waste. I think he can find his feet with Champions, but I just keep thinking on and on how amazing it would be if he was writing Superman instead. He is better at DC than Marvel imho. And I love Superdad, but there's still something missing there. Dan Jurgens started strong, but the comic reads awfully with too much little happening as a monthly. Tomasi is good but still eh. Superman is missing an AMAZING writer, and I feel that Waid will slay with him. It's a shame that he supposedly won't work with Dan Didio or something. :( 

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

You see, that's the problem. I'm not a DC Comics hater, I'm not a Marvel Comics hater. I'm a DC and Marvel Comics lover. Like Comic Book Girl 19 says, I go where the amazing stories are. It's not like EVERYTHING is wrong with Marvel Comics, but there are a SHIT LOAD of things wrong with the comics, and I feel that's mostly because of the disconnect between Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics. Marvel Comics is doing their thing, and since the "civil war" fallout between Feige and Perlmutter, things went to shit. Perlmutter is a cheap bastard that won't pay the creators their worth, while DC wasn't known for being creators friendly, DC is paying more for their talent and things are seemingly better after Rebirth. 

MEANWHILE, after Secret Wars, Marvel first lost Matt Fraction and Kieron Gillen. Then they lost Jonathan Hickman and Jason Aaron. Sincerely, this is way worse than when they lost Jim Lee and the Image guys back in the 90s. Jonathan Hickman is THE writer you want to be your universe architect. He's the guy that plans a whole universe outline and it does successfully. He should be getting WHATEVER HE WANTED to stay with Marvel Comics, not Bendis. Right now, I'd argue that the pool of talent, especially if we are talking writers, it's with DC Comics hands down. 

Marvel has Dan Slott, Mark Waid, G. Willow Wilson, David Walker, Al Ewing and Jason Aaron. DC Comics has Scott Snyder, Tom King, Tim Seeley, Margueritte Bennet, Greg Rucka, Benjamin Percy, Dan Abnett, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Rob Williams and I'm probably missing a lot of people, but those are the ones that I remember that are absolutely KILLING it. When you look at the DC Comics, you can see a pantheon of both classic and new characters. When I look to Marvel Comics, I barely recognize whatever is going on. A hell lot of Avengers teams and not ONE that I feel excited.  Jane Thor is an amazing and moving concept, but why to keep pushing her so hard when Natalie Portman won't be playing her in the movies? They have Angela, a LGBT character with a rich tapestry of story designed by Marguerite Bennet and Kieron Gillen, and now she's with Guardians doing whatever Bendis is doing with them. Angela could be the MCU's Wolverine if pushed right, she is a bad ass warrior with a hell lot of potential, why isn't she the one with the Avengers now? Falcon has ascended to stardom with Civil War and The Winter Soldier, and while his stories are amazing in Captain America, he's borrowing Cap's name. WHY? Make HIM shine instead. I want to read Falcon, not Falcap. It's everything so fucking dumb that it just makes me cringe.

What I'd do:

Get Dan Slott to write Amazing Spider-Man with Christos Gage full time, end the brilliant Silver Surfer run and make Dan Slott the architect of the Marvel Comics universe. Make him the guy writing the flagship Avengers team, make his book really matters. Riff it with Civil War and make it Captain Marvel leading Iron Man, Spider-Man, Vision, Silver Surfer, She-Hulk and Angela. Ultimates is the non-sanctioned "Avengers" like team that goes where the Avengers can't, and it's basically a more street level team and in disagreement with the Avengers, lead by Black Panther and based in Wakanda, with Captain America (not Hydra), Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Spectrum and Miss America Chavez, written by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Al Ewing. Those are the core teams that I'd like to see, and WAY MORE of an interesting mix and premise than what we are getting from Marvel Comics right now imho.    

I haven't read DnA's and Coipel but I'll check out. It's a shame that they stopped working together for some kind of personal reasons, but reading Dan Abnett's work and I think he's as good a writer as ever. I love Mark Waid, but he's all sorts of wrong in the Avengers right now, and it's incredible how his talents are going to waste. I think he can find his feet with Champions, but I just keep thinking on and on how amazing it would be if he was writing Superman instead. He is better at DC than Marvel imho. And I love Superdad, but there's still something missing there. Dan Jurgens started strong, but the comic reads awfully with too much little happening as a monthly. Tomasi is good but still eh. Superman is missing an AMAZING writer, and I feel that Waid will slay with him. It's a shame that he supposedly won't work with Dan Didio or something. :( 

Good Grief...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Anything can happen. Mark Waid and Geoff Johns just had a dinner together. Might not mean anything, but one can hope.

It's Justice League of America. It's obvious. And DC will extend their ownage at Marvel Comics even further. You just don't LOSE a writer like Jonathan Hickman. That's not different than losing Kevin Feige to WB. 

1 minute ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Why are we talking comic series in the numbers thread? Please take that stuff to the DC or Marvel subforums.

Because whenever comic book movies open this place looses it's damn mind (up in here, up in here).

5 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'll glady contribute with a second viewing tomorrow or this Friday. Can't wait, hopefully in 2d. 

You know it's funny...I generally don't like 3D.  It makes my eyes tear up.

But man, I saw this in the Chinese IMAX...not only was that screen pristine...not only was the crowd super hyped and fun...and not only was there a man in full Harley get up...but the 3D?  I liked it a lot.  3D sucks...unless it's IMAX.  I don't know why that is, but IMAX 3D is on fucking point.  Non IMAX 3D can go suck a donkey dick.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, kowhite said:

You know it's funny...I generally don't like 3D.  It makes my eyes tear up.

But man, I saw this in the Chinese IMAX...not only was that screen pristine...not only was the crowd super hyped and fun...and not only was there a man in full Harley get up...but the 3D?  I liked it a lot.  3D sucks...unless it's IMAX.  I don't know why that is, but IMAX 3D is on fucking point.  Non IMAX 3D can go suck a donkey dick.

I really need to see IMAX with laser next time there is a big film with IMAX release. BvS in 70mm IMAX was out of this world but I'm sure laser is a very close second. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

No, their job is to speak for themselves.

And they are also consumers. 

Plus, they are paid to give an opinion on whether a movie is worth the consumers money and time to see.  They are speaking for the consumers benefit.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I really need to see IMAX with laser next time there is a big film with IMAX release. BvS in 70mm IMAX was out of this world but I'm sure laser is a very close second. 

God it was glorious.  Even the Sully trailer...I was like...this is so beautiful...

Laser for life.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Panda said:

And they are also consumers. 

Plus, they are paid to give an opinion on whether a movie is worth the consumers money and time to see.  They are speaking for the consumers benefit.

They should be paid to explain their opinion.

What the hell does any critic know what consumers want to watch?

If a critic speaks for consumers, he's spouting some serious bullshit.  Ignore them.

• Like 2