WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

20 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

Well it is a fact that Mr. Barinholtz said that's what the budget was for SS and he worked directly on the set. So it has everything to do with the numbers here and more to the point, why anyone would suggest SS is a financial failure in the first place. They're not basing it off the reported budget of $175 million but the $250 million budget. When I mention the THR article, I can tell which people did or didn't read the article because what it said was, "the movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win." Replacing Snyder as the director of Justice League would inevitably delay the movie given its release date which they can't afford to do. On top of that, WB/DC removed the second Justice League movie from the docket. 

Either way we are gonna go off the reported budget and not rumours.

Until WB themselves come out and say the actual figures until then 175 budget and that includes reshoots.

@Haley Ross , you're repeating yourself , what you're saying is based on rumors so it's meaningless.I'm not going to repeat myself anymore see

@ UrosepsisFace  who also answered you perfectly ,I'm not going to repeat the points he so elegantly posted.

If you like to pretend that those movies are financial flops , go ahead , pretend , just don't use those as facts in a B.O forum.

Edited by Emerald kikyou

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

Either way we are gonna go off the reported budget and not rumours.

Until WB themselves come out and say the actual figures until then 175 budget and that includes reshoots.

Insane thing is that even if the prod budget was 250, 650 ww is 2.6 times the budget. Since when has that been not enough!

The marketing budget will easily be then stream rolled by auxiliary revenue.

It's a big win even on the rumored budget of 250, and if the budget is close to the reported 175, it's a mega win.

Case closed. End of story.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Insane thing is that even if the prod budget was 250, 650 ww is 2.6 times the budget. Since when has that been not enough!

It's a big win even on the rumored budget of 250, and if the budget is close to the reported 175, it's a mega win.

Exactly  , people are exaggerating for some reason.

Edited by Emerald kikyou
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I don't know when the rules changed all of a sudden .When I first started to track B.o the rule was a movie had to double it's production budget or a little bit more to be considered a success .

I don't believe for one minute the budget for SS is over that 175mil.

If so then the 800 breakeven rumour would mean WB expected a Billion?

There's absolutely no way WB thought SS would make that much money.Now 650ww I can understand.

Anyone with commonsense should know better.

A studios expectations can be determined by how much money they put into a flim .if the budget was originally below 175 then you can tell that studio was only looking for about 500-600ww.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

KUBO being the great one. It's a rare thing every summer and yet it just gets ignored. Sad.

You really have to blame the studio for that one.They didn't market the thing at all.

I was taking my son Sunday to see it but unfortunately he "Have better things to do" yeah A 4yr told me that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, a2knet said:

The people that wrote The Hollywood Reporter article have insider knowledge that we don't so I'm not sure how you can say with certainty that WB is satisfied by this result or not.

Remember that BvS made $872m WW on a $250m budget yet WB went along to make several changes on its DC plans  following its theatrical release showing that they were not totally satified  by it.

SS is performing quite good. Yeah, some people will keep bringing advertising and promotion to inflate the movie's budget, in order to downplay the movie's performance. It's funny that they never do that to Marvel movies. If we do that to Marvel movies, they always have the perfect excuses. It's quite funny, lol. Does anybody know Civil War's P&A numbers? Civil War had reshoots too. How much money was spent? Maybe they think it was for free. I can't even imagine how much was spent for the new Star Wars movie, which got almost 1 month of reshoots. Yeah, that's right, 1 freaking month of reshoots. Well...

If a DCU movie makes money, they'll say it's a flop because WB spent a lot of marketing/advertising.

If we say the same about a MCU movie, they'll say it's not a flop because of home video and general merchandise and sequels.

So, in a nutshell. DCU movies always flop and MCU movies never flop. I guess DCU movies won't get any profit from home video and merchandise. Yeah, that's what they're saying. Should we ignore these people? Yeah, we should. :)

DCU is fine. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

SS is performing quite good. Yeah, some people will keep bringing advertising and promotion to inflate the movie's budget, in order to downplay the movie's performance. It's funny that they never do that to Marvel movies. If we do that to Marvel movies, they always have the perfect excuses. It's quite funny, lol. Does anybody know Civil War's P&A numbers? Civil War had reshoots too. How much money was spent? Maybe they think it was for free. I can't even imagine how much was spent for the new Star Wars movie, which got almost 1 month of reshoots. Yeah, that's right, 1 freaking month of reshoots. Well...

If a DCU movie makes money, they'll say it's a flop because WB spent a lot of marketing/advertising.

If we say the same about a MCU movie, they'll say it's not a flop because of home video and general merchandise and sequels.

So, in a nutshell. DCU movies always flop and MCU movies never flop. I guess DCU movies won't get any profit from home video and merchandise. Yeah, that's what they're saying. Should we ignore these people? Yeah, we should. :)

DCU is fine. 

It almost seems as if there's people who wants the movies to fail.

Weird isn't it?

People have been throwing shade for a long time now.

There's no f***king way a movie makes 300 domestic and be considered a failure.

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 6

20 Million weekend.  300 Locked and Loaded for SS.   40 more million shouldn't be that hard to get to to.   It's drops seems to be stablizing a little too.    Pretty good for "War Dogs" wasn't expecting huge numbers but the budget was in check so it should come out on top.   "Ben Hur" is DOA domestically and is banking on international numbers to save it.  This is the 5th film made on this subject and there have been many television speicals as well.  I'm not saying modern audiences don't care but it's just one of those things that I don't think every generation will gravate too.   "Ben Hur" is a Legendary story and will always be here but that doesn't mean it will be a Blockbuster film with each generation.     I hearing Kubo is actually decent film but I think it's getting lost in the competition.   SP is definitely a success.  You can't really compare it to the other computer animated films because of it's harsh content.    Overall not a bad weekend for the end of August. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Agafin said:

The people that wrote The Hollywood Reporter article have insider knowledge that we don't so I'm not sure how you can say with certainty that WB is satisfied by this result or not.

Remember that BvS made $872m WW on a $250m budget yet WB went along to make several changes on its DC plans  following its theatrical release showing that they were not totally satified  by it.

Not totally satisfied and a failure are two completely different things. People have been exaggerating this whole thing. Iron man 2 had a 200M budget and a WW gross of 600M+ I can give you many examples in the MCU and many other blockbusters having that kind of rate between budget and gross , are they all financial flops? It doesn't make sense. Mark Huges is an insider too why don't you take his story? There is the reported budget too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Doesn't Doctor Strange have a $165m budget? (LA Times) 

Will be interesting to see if that can make $700m worldwide and be called a let down. 

Let's not forget P&A, by the way.

They always do that to DCU movies, lol. So, they have to include marketing, advertising and promotion too. Maybe the real production budget should be something between 260-290 million.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

20 Million weekend.  300 Locked and Loaded for SS.   40 more million shouldn't be that hard to get to to.   It's drops seems to be stablizing a little too.    Pretty good for "War Dogs" wasn't expecting huge numbers but the budget was in check so it should come out on top.   "Ben Hur" is DOA domestically and is banking on international numbers to save it.  This is the 5th film made on this subject and there have been many television speicals as well.  I'm not saying modern audiences don't care but it's just one of those things that I don't think every generation will gravate too.   "Ben Hur" is a Legendary story and will always be here but that doesn't mean it will be a Blockbuster film with each generation.     I hearing Kubo is actually decent film but I think it's getting lost in the competition.   SP is definitely a success.  You can't really compare it to the other computer animated films because of it's harsh content.    Overall not a bad weekend for the end of August. 

I did rough math and 300 is still not guaranteed, even at 50%ish drops which it hasn't been doing...It'll be at approximately 260 milion after this weekend and looking at less than 8 million weekday and less than 10 million weekend next week. It's a 50/50 shot at this point, not "Locked and loaded"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

Not totally satisfied and a failure are two completely different things. People have been exaggerating this whole thing. Iron man 2 had a 200M budget and a WW gross of 600M+ I can give you many examples in the MCU and many other blockbusters having that kind of rate between budget and gross , are they all financial flops? It doesn't make sense. Mark Huges is an insider too why don't you take his story? There is the reported budget too.

The problem is people hold on to negative news entirely too much.

On every forum I'm seeing that 800 number being thrown around.

Just like with BVS people talk about a billion to break even but CW had the same budget along with reshoots did you hear anyone talk about CW needing a billion to break even?.

Someone on another forum said  CW barely broke even because of the Sony deal.

But you don't see people running with that one do you?.

• Like 1