WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

Maybe Sony is short on money? that would explain why they are taking so long to start Passengers' marketing, wouldn't it? 

It doesn't need a huge campaign anyway, the concept and the stars sell themselves. 

The movie just needs to be good.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

I don't know why but i found this interesting. 3 comedies and 2 horror films. But then you get to the point that sequels and adaptations have been some of the highest grossing and would be way more successful without their ginormous budgets. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't know why but i found this interesting. 3 comedies and 2 horror films. But then you get to the point that sequels and adaptations have been some of the highest grossing and would be way more successful without their ginormous budgets. 

Here's hoping Passengers blows that out of the water in December.  Of course, I guess only part of it would be in 'this year', sorta how TFA wasn't the biggest grosser of last year....

But what I note is how many of those did better than expected.  I think there is a frustrated market for original material.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

Here's hoping Passengers blows that out of the water in December.  Of course, I guess only part of it would be in 'this year', sorta how TFA wasn't the biggest grosser of last year....

It should. And if/when it does hopefully it'll be another example to Hollywood of how original films are very much alive and successful. But what's funny to me is that the list of those five films have moderate to very low budgets so once they start making money at the box office it all goes to the studios. Compared to what we've seen where a film makes $130M domestically and costs $150M to make. Like Lights Out is going to make $70M+ domestic and will be way more financially successful for its studio than let's say that $150M blockbuster that brought in $130M. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Just now, Nova said:

It should. But what's funny to me is that the list of those five films have moderate to very low budgets so once they start making money at the box office it all goes to the studios. Compared to what we've seen where a film makes $130M domestically and costs $150M to make. Like Lights Out is going to make $70M+ domestic and will be way more financially successful for its studio than let's say that $150M blockbuster that brought in $130M. 

Yeah.  I edited my post to add that they mostly did better than expected as well.  I'm hoping it bodes well for more original fare.

• Like 1

Just now, trifle said:

Yeah.  I edited my post to add that they mostly did better than expected as well.  I'm hoping it bodes well for more original fare.

I edited my post to say hopefully Passengers is another example that shows studios originals are alive and kicking lol Just a few more months to find out. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Nova said:

Also to add