Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

There's an even "worse" SW sequel than AOTC.

star-wars-the-clone-wars-the-movie.14870

(The movie not the TV series before SW fans jump in.)

Oh gods, why was that a movie. It's so clearly just the three first episodes stitched together. No wonder it failed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Curious to see the rest of the top but a bit puzzled!

Pretty sure there are easily more than 40 sequels that are worse than Jurassic World/Dead Man's Chest/Godfather Part III in the history of cinema :rofl:

They're far from being masterpieces but this doesn't get even close to compare to movies like Paul Blart Mall Cop 2, Dumb and Dumberer, endless unnecessary horror movie sequels, or, you know, actual trash movies :ph34r: 

Well it's his list. He probably doesn't even consider the original of those movies to be good in the first place.

• Community Manager
11 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Oh gods, why was that a movie. It's so clearly just the three first episodes stitched together. No wonder it failed.

It had a purpose: use the theatrical release to hype up the upcoming series. It succeeded. 

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

It had a purpose: use the theatrical release to hype up the upcoming series. It succeeded. 

I can't deny that. still can't get into the series, and I want to, so very much. (what I've seen is sooo bad...)

17 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

But the series is much better. 

8 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I can't deny that. still can't get into the series, and I want to, so very much. (what I've seen is sooo bad...)

It might have helped that when I watched it, I saw it in the so-called chronological order.  That way I skipped around the first three seasons quite a bit.  Allegedly the first couple of seasons were a bit hit-and-miss, but since I was dipping in and out of the first three seasons almost at random, I really didn't notice.

OTOH, the very first episode of the series (if one doesn't count the movie as the first four episodes [which they were before Lucas decided to stitch them together]) was a Yoda episode.  Watching it online convinced me that I should give the series a chance.  Of course, I'm something of a Yoda fan, so that helped.  But that very first episode (Ambush) told me that this was my kind of SW.  Philosophical with lots of potential for character development.

Plus Yoda kicked ass.  I couldn't ask for much more than that. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

It might have helped that when I watched it, I saw it in the so-called chronological order.  That way I skipped around the first three seasons quite a bit.  Allegedly the first couple of seasons were a bit hit-and-miss, but since I was dipping in and out of the first three seasons almost at random, I really didn't notice.

OTOH, the very first episode of the series (if one doesn't count the movie as the first four episodes [which they were before Lucas decided to stitch them together]) was a Yoda episode.  Watching it online convinced me that I should give the series a chance.  Of course, I'm something of a Yoda fan, so that helped.  But that very first episode (Ambush) told me that this was my kind of SW.  Philosophical with lots of potential for character development.

Plus Yoda kicked ass.  I couldn't ask for much more than that. :D

First time I tried, this was after I saw Rebels, I watch the first episode, and it's just Yoda doing awesome Yoda things, then watched the next episode where it all focused on Plo Koon, and no real lip service to who or why Ahsoka was. And was pretty much turned off at that point. It wasn't till later that I realized that her entire introduction was in the movie.

I went back started in Chronological order, so I got some decent third season episodes, then a terrible movie, then some just more miss than hit season 1 stuff. The structure of the show is just so hard for me to get into, and I've been told it gets better, and I need to watch them for the Asajj Ventress and Ahsoka novels.

25 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

First time I tried, this was after I saw Rebels, I watch the first episode, and it's just Yoda doing awesome Yoda things, then watched the next episode where it all focused on Plo Koon, and no real lip service to who or why Ahsoka was. And was pretty much turned off at that point. It wasn't till later that I realized that her entire introduction was in the movie.

I went back started in Chronological order, so I got some decent third season episodes, then a terrible movie, then some just more miss than hit season 1 stuff. The structure of the show is just so hard for me to get into, and I've been told it gets better, and I need to watch them for the Asajj Ventress and Ahsoka novels.

*shrug*

If the structure of the show is that oft-putting, I would say that the show probably isn't for you.  I mean, I won't deny that some arcs are better than others, but for me at least what TCW sold, I was really digging.  Hell, I even really like the movie*, which ought to tell how sick in the head I am. :P

* Of course, by that point, I already had a decent introduction to the series.

Don't know really what to tell you.  I guess I just loved all of the focus on the various clone troopers and secondary characters.  Plus, of course, Ahsoka Tano, the breakout star of the series, who I loved the second she stepped on screen.  

If you have Netflix what I might recommend is watching the series by 'arc' (TV Tropes has a decent breakdown of the arcs here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/StarWarsTheCloneWars).  If you find you're not enjoying an arc, skip to the next one.

While I love (most of) TCW to death, I absolutely realize it isn't for everyone.  Not only is it pretty stylized. but telling stories in 20 minute chunks while being primarily aimed at a younger audience has inherent limitations.  Even if one enjoys Rebels, the fact that TCW is a heavily arc based show makes it a different beast (along with the subject matter).

So if you're not enjoying it, don't suffer through it just to be able to enjoy other novels/series.  While those books will be enhanced if one has already appreciated prior stuff, a work has to stand on its own if it really wants to succeed.  To put it another way, knowing the Ventress and Tano stuff is a flavor enhancer for their various novels.  But the meal itself needs to be good in the first place.  And, hopefully be good enough on its own if the added paprika and rosemary isn't to your taste. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*shrug*

If the structure of the show is that oft-putting, I would say that the show probably isn't for you.  I mean, I won't deny that some arcs are better than others, but for me at least what TCW sold, I was really digging.  Hell, I even really like the movie*, which ought to tell how sick in the head I am. :P

* Of course, by that point, I already had a decent introduction to the series.

Don't know really what to tell you.  I guess I just loved all of the focus on the various clone troopers and secondary characters.  Plus, of course, Ahsoka Tano, the breakout star of the series, who I loved the second she stepped on screen.  

If you have Netflix what I might recommend is watching the series by 'arc' (TV Tropes has a decent breakdown of the arcs here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Recap/StarWarsTheCloneWars).  If you find you're not enjoying an arc, skip to the next one.

While I love (most of) TCW to death, I absolutely realize it isn't for everyone.  Not only is it pretty stylized. but telling stories in 20 minute chunks while being primarily aimed at a younger audience has inherent limitations.  Even if one enjoys Rebels, the fact that TCW is a heavily arc based show makes it a different beast (along with the subject matter).

So if you're not enjoying it, don't suffer through it just to be able to enjoy other novels/series.  While those books will be enhanced if one has already appreciated prior stuff, a work has to stand on its own if it really wants to succeed.  To put it another way, knowing the Ventress and Tano stuff is a flavor enhancer for their various novels.  But the meal itself needs to be good in the first place.  And, hopefully be good enough on its own if the added paprika and rosemary isn't to your taste. ;)

It's hard for me to describe, I want to see the good, but I'm too much a completionist to skip anything. And I think like other shows I've binged on Netflix, I just got bored, and need to find a better way of watching. I may just drop the chronological order bit and just let an auto-play go while I'm doing other work.

Also tend to react badly to fan reaction running around calling it the best thing ever.* So far, it's not bad, even the movie isn't bad for what it clearly is, it just isn't good either.

* I don't mean you, for the record, you actually have reasons to why you like it, and fully accept others may not.

Edited by RandomJC
  • Like 2

Well if Gun had just started naming off films like Leprechaun 7 and Tremors 5, there's probably not much talk in this thread.

Go after Godfather, Star Wars and Jurassic Park, we've got a panic on our hands on the 4th of July.

• Like 6

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

Well if Gun had just started naming off films like Leprechaun 7 and Tremors 5, there's probably not much talk in this thread.

Go after Godfather, Star Wars and Jurassic Park, we've got a panic on our hands on the 4th of July.

joker-batman-plan-change-life-lifestyle-

Go after beloved movie franchises.

hqg-418-520x245.gif

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

I assume there's gonna be a couple of chomping fish water movies appearing too. :ph34r: 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

I assume there's gonna be a couple of chomping fish water movies appearing too. :ph34r: 

JAWS 4 is the best of the worst films ever made.  Everything about that film is hilariously awful and I love ever single minute of it.  Sharks using the Shining to know where Ellen is going to be.

Sharks meeting her in the Bahamas.

Mario Van Peebles somehow survives

Ellen with flashbacks to events she wasn't there to witness.

Shark making monster noises.

It's so awful, but so entertaining.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

The only bad Tremors Sequel was Tremors 2.