Jake Gittes

Manchester By The Sea | Kenneth Lonergan | Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams | November 2016

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

Time to steer clear of this thread. Even mods are posting spoilers now.

Erm.... the movie's been out for quite awhile. We can keep using tags out of politeness but it's fair to post without them too.

I know that doesn't really help in terms of slow tiered releases, especially overseas. :unsure: 

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Erm.... the movie's been out for quite awhile. We can keep using tags out of politeness but it's fair to post without them too.

I know that doesn't really help in terms of slow tiered releases, especially overseas. :unsure: 

Fair enough. What's the protocol for spoilers anyway? 3 months after US release?

ps: it's actually out here in Sweden but not playing anywhere near me. :(

I play the spoiler policy by ear, but I think it should be based on a movie's progression at the box office, not a fixed timeframe. Say, once a movie's worldwide total for the last weekend is <100th of its total gross. That's usually when movies start to wind down for good.

Edited by tribefan695

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I play the spoiler policy by ear, but I think it should be based on a movie's progression at the box office, not a fixed timeframe. Say, once a movie's worldwide total for the last weekend is <100th of its total gross. That's usually when movies start to wind down for good.

I think that's too complicated really.  But I understand the purpose for something that's a limited release deal.

Just now, La La Panda said:

I think that's too complicated really.  But I understand the purpose for something that's a limited release deal.

Well, ideally we'd just respect spoilers by default and that would only be something we'd consult retroactively.

4 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Fair enough. What's the protocol for spoilers anyway? 3 months after US release?

ps: it's actually out here in Sweden but not playing anywhere near me. :(

Our general rule of thumb is two weeks for the movie's specific thread and four weeks for other threads. 

I suppose we could revise to two/four weeks after wide release. That doesn't entire solve the OS problem but it probably makes it better. 

• Like 2

Where do you draw that line, though? Whether a movie's big or small if it's building an audience after the fact I think it should be respected.

I like my idea, even if you have to do a little basic math to enforce it.

Edited by tribefan695

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Will finish with about $50 million. Ultimately this movie was kind of overshadowed by the LLL/Moonlight wars, but still a career definer for Kenneth Lonergan and Casey Affleck.

It's only a few hundred K away from passing Precious to become the biggest movie to premiere at Sundance since...Little Miss Sunshine. Woah.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Will finish with about $50 million. Ultimately this movie was kind of overshadowed by the LLL/Moonlight wars, but still a career definer for Kenneth Lonergan and Casey Affleck.

It's made a healthy profit for all involved and for Amazon Studios, it's a real win for them with two Oscar wins.