Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

Mhm, very good episode, but I kind of felt it a bit lacking compared to the second one. Which is rather weird considering it had quite a bit more story.

But who knows, maybe that's just the difference between a ton of Baby Yoda and just a bit of baby Yoda :P

Never really cared much about the Mandalorians as a clan either, especially of the animated shows variety (or worse, what they made out of them in the books). Preferred them more the way they were in KOTOR (games and comic), which might be why the finale was more "looks pretty cool" than "OMG, amazing!!!1!" to me. Then again, it should play really well to those who liked them in Clone Wars and Rebels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

One thing that puzzles me is the Mandalorians being nomadic and in hiding. Season 4 of Star Wars Rebels begins with the Mandalorians retaking their homeworld from the Empire, and this show takes place about 10 years later, so I'm just wondering what this Great Purge was that happened in the interim.

Also the whole “never take off the helmet” thing, which is brand new.  Make me wonder if this is some weirdo splinter sect that formed after “the Great Purge”.  Would explain a fair few things.  Or maybe even an outcast sect out in the shadows this whole time.

(also makes we wonder just why Sabine was so chill in the epilogue at the end of Rebels, but that’s a side issue)

Not saying it’s contradictory, as there’s plenty of ways to make it fit.  Am curious though to see when/if the connections start to be made.

• Like 3

I too am wondering the timeline as to when the "Purge" happened though I'm sure it'll be eventually explained either in the show itself or in a book or comic. Episode itself was great even though I don't think anyone questioned that Mando was gonna go back for Baby Yoda. Didn't expect the Mandalorians to come in an rescue the day but I do like how the show has something more going on than just random bounty hunter missions. 

I also maybe fanboyed way too hard at that Clone Wars flashback. I'm sure Filoni got a kick from depicting that era in live action after spending so long doing it in animation. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Also the whole “never take off the helmet” thing, which is brand new.  Make me wonder if this is some weirdo splinter sect that formed after “the Great Purge”.  Would explain a fair few things.  Or maybe even an outcast sect out in the shadows this whole time.

(also makes we wonder just why Sabine was so chill in the epilogue at the end of Rebels, but that’s a side issue)

Not saying it’s contradictory, as there’s plenty of ways to make it fit.  Am curious though to see when/if the connections start to be made.

I figure we'll learn more at some point, since I can't imagine a show called The Mandalorian won't link up at some point with the Mando aspects of the Filoni shows

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 2:40 AM, Porthos said:

Okay, way past my bedtime but one story observation.

I wonder if the only reason The Mando got an offer to bring back Baby Yoda alive is because Doctor Pershing entered the room at the time.  Because IG-11's order was quite specific (termination). 

I suppose maybe some hunters got termination contracts and some got live ones, but then again Werner Herzog's character sure didn't seem to concerned about the health of Baby Yoda when he was talking to Doctor Pershing on that eavesdropped conversation.

Speaking of which... Who wanted him after Doctor Pershing was done with him?  First best guess is the First Order, as they might show up in some fashion in this series.

But I almost wonder if that is too obvious of a suggestion.  Also wonder if they were going to extract midi-chlorians.  Again, seems pretty obvious to me and a neat way to reference TPM without hitting folks over the head with it.

Either way, the Mando is now the hunter and the prey.  As is the Way.

I want to know this. Also, why do they want the baby dead? I have a theory, and I think it ties into TROS. Since it seems Palpatine is back in some form (alive/clone/force spirit), it's possible Palpatine needs the power of a baby yoda to come back in human form or rejuvenate or maybe Palpatine is still trying to purge all those still strong in force, worrying that such individuals will grow up into a threat. But, seeing as how the last episode airs after TROS, I wouldn't be surprised to see Palpatine factor into all of this and that is revealed as a twist in the end.

cool :)

'The Mandalorian' dethroned 'Stranger Things' as the top streaming TV show in the US, breaking its 5-month streak
"The Mandalorian" had over 100 million demand expressions during the week of November 17 to November 23, according to Parrot Analytics, while "Stranger Things" had 81 million.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-mandalorian-beats-stranger-things-as-top-streaming-show-us-2019-11?utm_content=bufferfc880&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti&fbclid=IwAR0HDkZvSuRSHUEB2IaEDhaMq8xjgUI6Kkb4S80nyKNVZJAS48ADvFKaEEw

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

So apparently the Heavy Infantry dude Favs voiced in Episode 3 has the last name "Vizla"

HMMMMMMMMMMM

@Porthos

Saw that.  "Paz Vizla" in the credits.  What I want to know is if that's a misspelling of "Vizsla" (as more than one blog seems to think as they're running with that name) or if it is intentionally different.

If it is different intentionally then, "Hmmmm" indeed.  

And if it is a misspelling then "Hmmmm" for entierly different reasons. ;)

• Like 2

Still not a fan of the short sitcom level time limit here. There was a lot of walking in the early part of this episode. I'm not feeling like it's gritty enough for me. We have these war torn ex Empire storm troopers who are just no competition for him. Then, the Mandalorian is blasting/ fending off a gaggle of bounty hunters. Some weak bounty hunters if you ask me. Finally, I'm not a big fan of the "This is the way" mantra. It's already over used in about 2 minutes. All that said, I'm ready to tune in each week and look forward to the next episode. 

There's something I've been meaning to comment on ever since i noticed it in the second episode.

It's a such a small thing, but I am really really really glad that they are using wipe transitions in these episodes.

It's nearly irrational, really.  But there's something just... so Star Wars-y about it. that I'm glad they're getting liberal use here in this show, including tonight's episode, which just reminded me to comment about it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

THAT WAS FUCKING EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL, LUCASFILM!!!!! :ohmyzod:

Well done emotional blackmail, I'll admit.   

Just don't make a habit of it.  j1aUlyv.gif

I was referring to the shot on Baby Yoda, of course. 

Not quite as good as some of the others, but the Magnificent Duo/Two Samurai storyline was well done enough.

Plus we got a Tooka/Loth kitty.  Bonus points right there.

Surprised Cara Dune isn't sticking around quite yet.  Seems pretty obvious that they're setting up disparate threads to be woven together as the series continues.

===

At the half way mark now and I have to admit this series is stubbornly sticking to its "tell a short tale as part of a larger" one.  Not a single b or c subplot to be seen in any episode.

That might be the single most different thing about this show than others as I think about it.  There's one arc per episode, even if it connects to prior episodes.  Not like other TV shows that have multiple plotlines per episode.  It's how they're "getting away" with such short episodes; they simply do away with the b and c plots commonly found in most episodic TV.

Just twigged to this now, actually.  I knew there was something different about this show even beyond the length, and I think I finally figured it out.  Absolutely no subplots whatsoever.  Or if there are, they're connected over multiple episodes (like the details of his clan and whatnot).

• Like 1