Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

Decent episode, but I felt it could have been better. Overall, this is how I'd rank the season

Chapter 15: 10/10

Chapter 13: 9/10

Chapter 9: 8/10

Chapter 11: 8/10

Chapter 16: 7/10

Chapter 12: 7/10

Chapter 14: 6/10

Chapter 10: 3/10

Spoiler

The action was very repetitive, just constantly blasting stormtroopers with no challenge. Removed any tension from the scenes. Previous episodes have done this, but this one felt like it took it to the extreme. The fight between Mando and Gideon was good at the beginning but felt too easy. I did like the fight with the one Dark Trooper. 

As others have said the tension between Boba and the Mandalorians was very well-done. 

Bringing back Luke was cool, I enjoyed his entrance. I don't mind "fan service" when it's done well and makes sense. CGI was a bit weird but I could suspend disbelief. And as someone who wasn't a fan of TLJ Luke, the idea of this being some sort of "retcon" of TLJ never crossed my mind until I read this thread, so I don't think that was the intention.

Loved the moment between Din and Grogu at the end, especially his removing the helmet. Wish we'd gotten more moments like those this season. 

The Darksaber thing feels like a definite retcon to me since Sabine just gave it to Bo-Katan. I guess you could explain it away but I think it's something we're just going to have to overlook. But it does set up a pretty cool story arc with Din now being the presumptive Mandalore. Excited for that story to be told, and I'm confident it will be. I hope the Boba Fett stuff is just a spinoff, I would like Mandalorian S3 to be Din's story. 

Overall I liked this season about the same as S1. This season was better in the mid episodes, but S1 had a much more graceful finale. Still a solid 2 seasons for the show, but I hope season 3 can take it to the next level and put it all together. 

Also for any Agents of Shield fans it was funny to see Thomas E Sullivan acting just as unhinged as he did when playing Nathaniel Malick. Almost felt like it was the exact same character in different universes. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Menor said:

Decent episode, but I felt it could have been better. Overall, this is how I'd rank the season

Chapter 15: 10/10

Chapter 13: 9/10

Chapter 9: 8/10

Chapter 11: 8/10

Chapter 16: 7/10

Chapter 12: 7/10

Chapter 14: 6/10

Chapter 10: 3/10

Hide contents

The action was very repetitive, just constantly blasting stormtroopers with no challenge. Removed any tension from the scenes. Previous episodes have done this, but this one felt like it took it to the extreme. The fight between Mando and Gideon was good at the beginning but felt too easy. I did like the fight with the one Dark Trooper. 

As others have said the tension between Boba and the Mandalorians was very well-done. 

Bringing back Luke was cool, I enjoyed his entrance. I don't mind "fan service" when it's done well and makes sense. CGI was a bit weird but I could suspend disbelief. And as someone who wasn't a fan of TLJ Luke, the idea of this being some sort of "retcon" of TLJ never crossed my mind until I read this thread, so I don't think that was the intention.

Loved the moment between Din and Grogu at the end, especially his removing the helmet. Wish we'd gotten more moments like those this season. 

The Darksaber thing feels like a definite retcon to me since Sabine just gave it to Bo-Katan. I guess you could explain it away but I think it's something we're just going to have to overlook. But it does set up a pretty cool story arc with Din now being the presumptive Mandalore. Excited for that story to be told, and I'm confident it will be. I hope the Boba Fett stuff is just a spinoff, I would like Mandalorian S3 to be Din's story. 

Overall I liked this season about the same as S1. This season was better in the mid episodes, but S1 had a much more graceful finale. Still a solid 2 seasons for the show, but I hope season 3 can take it to the next level and put it all together. 

Also for any Agents of Shield fans it was funny to see Thomas E Sullivan acting just as unhinged as he did when playing Nathaniel Malick. Almost felt like it was the exact same character in different universes. 

I could not for the life of me place who Sadistic Sneering Pilot was even though he seemed so familiar and wow can't believe I didn't realize it was Looney Nate Malick

• Like 1

Hmmmmm...

More about the ending of the latest episode [not post-credit scene related]:

Spoiler

This combined with 

makes it sound to me that Mark Hamill was on set for the scene with Din Djarin and everyone else and it was digital de-aging after all (still a form of deep faking, I suppose).

That makes me think the scenes of Luke wandering around slaughtering Dark Troopers was the "Double for Jedi" (Max Lloyd Jones) with a stunt double (Matt Rugetti) for the more complicated action sequences.  

Really really glad for Mark if that's the case as it was a super powerful scene and he must have been tickled pink to be a part of it.

Also makes me wish we had more of the Disney Gallery than just one hour as I think I could take an entire episode (or two!) devoted to just this topic alone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What's great about that is at most a couple of people just give a double take and then go back along with their day.

It’s Japan so depending on where they are it may not be that uncommon for people to dress in cosplay (although this is a bit more than that I guess, the costume looks great) on the streets plus the politeness/not causing a scene factor.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:52 PM, Porthos said:

*ten hours later*

S2, Ep8 18 Dec. 2020 Chapter 16: The Rescue  9.9 (16,922)   

Still at 9.9 on IMDB.

Now it will come down. And IMDB is a pretty fanboy skewed demo.  But, damn.  9.9 with nearly 17k reactions.

And in case peeps are wondering, only The Jedi has more rankings this season (9.6 18.7k).  Lots of S1's have reactions in the range of 20k to 25k, so the long tail will eventually do its magic.

But 9.9 out of the gate.

09b76d21a380edbff2c8cf44ef5ef32b04567c12

Also been checking out the reactions community over on YT and peeps are literally, and I do mean lit-er-a-ly crying at different points of the episode.

Now this is initial reaction, perhaps dominated by super fans.  But, as I said: God damn!

29.5K and still 9.9/10

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

27 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

After spending this weekend pondering the episode, I have come to the final conclusion that this was one of the few instances of fan service done correctly and it kicked an unbelievable amount of ass. 

It helps that, at least IMO, the fan service wasn't the most emotional/important part of the episode. 

In fact, in the reaction vids I took a look at, I saw many more people bawling their eyes out at (SPOILER DELETED) than at (SPOILER DELETED).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It helps that, at least IMO, the fan service wasn't the most emotional/important part of the episode. 

In fact, in the reaction vids I took a look at, I saw many more people bawling their eyes out at (SPOILER DELETED) than at (SPOILER DELETED).

100% on the money.  The fan service was nice, but by far the best and most impactful part of the episode was *THAT SCENE*.  It was perfection and hit hard. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

100% on the money.  The fan service was nice, but by far the best and most impactful part of the episode was *THAT SCENE*.  It was perfection and hit hard. 

I keep seeing clips of it on Twitter and it gives me a serious lump in my throat every time. The music in that scene was perfect.

On my first viewing I was riding the high of “you know who” appearing, but on rewatch, THAT scene absolutely wrecked me.

• Like 2

My season ranking

These two are pretty interchangeable for me, ultimately I found Bryce Dallas Howards directing stronger so I'm putting it on top for now

Chapter 11- 10/10

Chapter 16 - 10/10 

Two really fantastic 'standalone' episodes, both were so well done. I'm giving chapter 15 the edge for it's character moments.

Chapter 15 - 9/10

Chapter 9 - 9/10

Chapter 12 - 8/10

Chapter 13 - 7/10

I will likely be leaving these episodes out of a rewatch, I didn't find them egregiously bad, they were competent/entertaining enough. But I found the dialogue and structure of them weak. The filmmaking also wasn't up to par. 

Chapter 10 - 6/10

Chapter 14 - 6/10

Overall it's a big improvement over last season. A lot of last season was 7's for me.

You can feel how more confident everyone is this time around, especially in directing and visual style. Things felt less restrictive, individual episodes felt more varied in what they were offering, both visually and content wise. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 1

EpnVh9wXMAAgvRY?format=jpg&name=240x240

Speaking of, might as well get my prediction in on The Book of Boba Fett  before GMA renders it moot in a few hours.

The Book of Boba Fett is gonna be "the next chapter" debuting at Xmas 2021 that Kathleen Kennedy alluded to when she talked about all things Mando and The Mandalorian Season 3 will be pushed back into "early 2022".

Pretty banal, but sometimes the logical thing still happens.   I mostly have Mando S3 pushed back because as far as I know it hasn't started shooting yet and Boba Fett is currently filming.  As I understand it, Jon Favreau is on record as saying that they were gonna wait until Pedro Pascal was done filming The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent before starting S3. 

It is true that they've had doubles stand in for him before, but, well, maybe Favs was using that as a convenient excuse as to not blow the Fett surprise.  From what I understand, UWMT recently finished up and Pedro is now doing press for WW84.  Once that wraps up, wouldn't be a surprise if Mando S3 starts filming in Jan/Feb.  But that does push things back a bit.  So I will be a little surprised if both TBoBF and Mando S3 drop in Dec '21.

Edited by Porthos

As for a non-banal prediction/not-very-likely-at-all prediction...

While I don't actually think this is gonna happen, wouldn't it be wild if the "Untitled Disney Live Action Film" still slotted for December 2021 is a Boba Fett movie exclusively airing on D+?   Rumor mill has it that the Fett series is a limited/event series. 4 x 30 or even 5 x 30 would be a two to two and a half hour film.  6 x 30 would be pushing it, but who knows.

And, after all, way back when Josh Trank's cancelled SW was allegedly gonna be a SW Anthology film.  Who's to say it won't morph its way back into one?

Okay, prob not.  Some sort of miniseries is the absolutely most likely guess.  Then again, how awesome would it be to have a Boba Fett movie at Christmas time and then lead into a Mando S3, say in Jan 2022?

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

The Book of Boba Fett is gonna be "the next chapter" debuting at Xmas 2021 that Kathleen Kennedy alluded to when she talked about all things Mando and The Mandalorian Season 3 will be pushed back into "early 2022".

Pretty banal, but sometimes the logical thing still happens.   I mostly have Mando S3 pushed back because as far as I know it hasn't started shooting yet and Boba Fett is currently filming.  As I understand it, Jon Favreau is on record as saying that they were gonna wait until Pedro Pascal was done filming The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent before starting S3.

Great call

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1