baumer

Monday #s SS about 1.05-1.1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

This is the first Monday we've had 60%+ drops across the board. Comparing to rest of summer. 

Thats why I said September is coming.

But they aren't bad. It's just the time of year.

17 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

:huh: wasn't this the movie that people were saying was going to be a flop and blah blah all that doom and gloom shit?

Once again, I'm not surprised. 

BOT reserved gloom and doom for two movies this year, BVS and TREK.

gloom =:sadben:

doom =:bourne:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K1stpierre said:

:huh: wasn't this the movie that people were saying was going to be a flop and blah blah all that doom and gloom shit?

Once again, I'm not surprised. 

The articles and tabloids all lost their minds once this movie dropped 67% for its second weekend. They were fast to proclaim this movie as being a failure.

Things changed when the drops kept getting smaller ( 52% for third weekend, 41% for fourth weekend ). After hating the movie for almost 1 month, tabloids had to find a new story ( SS being hit by Don't Breathe ).  I'm glad people watched this movie anyway, despite its critics. I'm glad I did, I loved it. It's also fine if people hated this movie, which isn't a problem at all. However, some people were so fast to say SS was finished after the second weekend, and that obviously backfired on them.

Now we're back to the how much it "could have", "would have" or "should have" made if it got positive critics. We'll never know, and I think tabloids shouldn't care either, lol. :)

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The articles and tabloids all lost their minds once this movie dropped 67% for its second weekend. They were fast to proclaim this movie as being a failure.

Things changed when the drops kept getting smaller ( 52% for third weekend, 41% for fourth weekend ). After hating the movie for almost 1 month, tabloids had to find a new story ( SS being hit by Don't Breathe ).  I'm glad people watched this movie anyway, despite its critics. I'm glad I did, I loved it. It's also fine if people hated this movie, which isn't a problem at all. However, some people were so fast to say SS was finished after the second weekend, and that obviously backfired on them.

Now we're back to the how much it "could have", "would have" or "should have" made if it got positive critics. We'll never know, and I think tabloids shouldn't care either, lol. :)

As I said before that drop was only do to the Tmobile promotion.

They gave me 3 free tickets and I didn't even use the third one.

A lot of people went only do to the promotion which resulted into a bigger than expected drop. Plus there was no limit on the tickets Tmobile had to give out.

I believe that promotion added at least 15 mil to the o.w. They had giving out more than 1 mil tickets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I still don't get what happened. It was like everybody had just decided that the story was that SS failed and then logic and basic math skills went out of the window. Sure it had big fri-to-sat drop, but it opened to almost 40m over the previous August records. It was certainly not a flop for WB (at least not money wise).  It is funny to read the same journalists now, still trying argue that it is a failure or just completely ignoring the film.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Monday drops are shockingly bad for all releases.

September has arrived! 

It just means an even larger % of states/districts in K-12 started back at the same time. Whereas the last few weeks it's been a trickling of K-12 areas starting back. 

Also, last week was University move-in day at a number of Colleges in this area. So that is also in play as a factor like it is every year at this time. 

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

As I said before that drop was only do to the Tmobile promotion.

They gave me 3 free tickets and I didn't even use the third one.

A lot of people went only do to the promotion which resulted into a bigger than expected drop. Plus there was no limit on the tickets Tmobile had to give out.

I believe that promotion added at least 15 mil to the o.w. They had giving out more than 1 mil tickets.

Interestingly, even many here foresaw the front-loading due to both the massive Thursday and the free-ticket Friday, but in subsequent days and following week, kept comparing numbers to either that Friday or that weekend which included that Friday, and did not take into account both factors. Despite several of us describing how those factors could be relevant and even our nice mod Baumer asking everybody to wait to see third weekend and beyond to lessen the influence of that first Friday, many continued to present the toxic-word-of-mouth narrative. Many say there is no bias and people want these films to do well, but it is painfully obvious to see that some people are eager to see these movies fail. 

That said, I believe this movie did miss its potential, and many chose to either not see the movie or wait for home release. Poor word of mouth did exist, but so did positive word of mouth, and hence some pretty strong later legs. The movie did well, despite of its flaws. I hope subsequent movies will both be better and do better. I also hope that people have seen a pattern with the three DCEU movies, and should not be surprised if Wonder Woman has a huge opening, a major drop on the second weekend, and eventually come to a strong overall number, whether it is disliked OR liked by RT.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It's amazing how many professionals don't differentiate between summer and non-summer weekdays.

Most of the outlets like Guru, Deadline, THR, Variety compared 67% of SS with 69% of BVS not focusing on how weekdays take away form weekends in summer.

Movie     OW      Mon-Thu (% of OW)     2nd Weekend (drop form OW)      10-day

BVS      166.0          43.1 (26%)                     51.3 (-69%)                          260.4  

SS       133.7          45.3 (34%)                    43.5 (-67%)                          222.5

If SS made the same 26% of OW on Mon-Thu like BVS, and if you shift the balance to the 2nd weekend to get the same 10-day total,

Movie     OW      Mon-Thu (% of OW)     2nd Weekend (drop form OW)      10-day

BVS      166.0          43.1 (26%)                     51.3 (-69%)                          260.4

SS       133.7          34.8 (26%)                     54 (-59.6%)                        222.5

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Interestingly, even many here foresaw the front-loading due to both the massive Thursday and the free-ticket Friday, but in subsequent days and following week, kept comparing numbers to either that Friday or that weekend which included that Friday, and did not take into account both factors. Despite several of us describing how those factors could be relevant and even our nice mod Baumer asking everybody to wait to see third weekend and beyond to lessen the influence of that first Friday, many continued to present the toxic-word-of-mouth narrative. Many say there is no bias and people want these films to do well, but it is painfully obvious to see that some people are eager to see these movies fail. 

That said, I believe this movie did miss its potential, and many chose to either not see the movie or wait for home release. Poor word of mouth did exist, but so did positive word of mouth, and hence some pretty strong later legs. The movie did well, despite of its flaws. I hope subsequent movies will both be better and do better. I also hope that people have seen a pattern with the three DCEU movies, and should not be surprised if Wonder Woman has a huge opening, a major drop on the second weekend, and eventually come to a strong overall number, whether it is disliked OR liked by RT.

The thing about all that is the movie has reached it potential.SS was never going to do a billion.Im pretty sure WB was surprised that it was crossing the 700ww mark w/o China.

All those 800 breakeven talks are ridiculous .There's is no absolutely no way SS needed that much,if so WB expected a Billion?

I don't think so.

I don't understand why people say Suicide Squad could never reach a billion.

It was one of the most talked about movies on social media for a long time, the trailers were incredibly popular with millions of views on Facebook and YouTube.

The film is still successful but no doubt in my mind if this film was more well received with critics and audiences it would of been targeting a billion dollars.

Edit: I forgot to say it is difficult to reach a billion with China but I still think this film could have performed better.

The film had some of the biggest opening days of all time in a number of countries. I just feel that if it was able to capitalise on the initial hype created from marketing it would have been a massive success. 

Edited by exomassey