DAJK

Weekend Actuals: Sully 35M, WTBB 14.2M, DB 8.25M, SS 5.72M

3 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Outstanding number.  $30m+ seems likely.

yes it is!  Bridge of Spies was .5M over 30x, Captain Phillips was .6M over 42x, Money Monster was .6M near 25x.  hell even Martian was 2.5M near 22x.

that's an impressive number for Sully, especially on opening night of the NFL.  my theater is selling really well.

also, this is a very patriotic weekend.  they chose this date for that very reason.

Edited by lobogotti
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, lobogotti said:

yes it is!  Bridge of Spies was .5M over 30x, Captain Phillips was .6M over 42x, Money Monster was .6M near 25x.  hell even Martian was 2.5M near 22x.

that's an impressive number for Sully, especially on opening night of the NFL.  my theater is selling really well.

also, this is a very patriotic weekend.  they chose this date for that very reason.

9/11, hadn't thought of that.  Sully doesn't really have anything to do with 9/11, but I see the point.

I'll try keeping an eye out for Friday updates throughout lunch, but my C block class is pretty strict at times about phones, so if someone releases an update after 12:10 PST would one of you mind posting it here and I or a mod could update the title :)

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

15m OW is a good number for Blair Witch, i feel like it hasn't aged nearly well enough to get a much bigger opening than that, even with good reviews. 

3 weeks ago I would have said 25-30 for Blair Witch. However Don't Breathe over performing means the horror market won't exactly be starving by the time it comes out. I'm still predicting around 20 for it but I wouldn't be surprised with 14-17.

29 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Blair Witch is also a sequel. Makes a difference, in my opinion.

Horror sequels can do anything. A debut of north of $20 milion and a domestic total at $55 million seems doable. But if it debuted like Insidious 2, we will have a potential breakout on our hands. Solid reviews don't mean anything or a horror film either Wingard's last horror film You're Next had ok reactions from critics and it made only $18 million total.

Sully is another success for Eastwood and Warner Bros. Even if it only does $100-130m WW I imagine WB will be pleased, the profits from American Sniper alone will fund Eastwood's next few films although I do wonder given his age if he'll still be able to direct by the time he hits 90, he's still in good health so I imagine he has another 1-2 films left in him to star and direct.

• Like 1

WB  still keep on going with the hits this year. With Sully off to solid starts, I'm very anxious to see what the Friday results are. WB should also have Storks, The Accountant, and Fantastic Beasts crank up some more money for the rest of the year. Collateral Beauty could be a modest hit at best. 

12 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

WB  still keep on going with the hits this year. With Sully off to solid starts, I'm very anxious to see what the Friday results are. WB should also have Storks, The Accountant, and Fantastic Beasts crank up some more money for the rest of the year. Collateral Beauty could be a modest hit at best. 

I think if Storks does over $30m OW WB will be happy. The SPA titles are the best comparison to see what it could potentially do. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think if Storks does over $30m OW WB will be happy. The SPA titles are the best comparison to see what it could potentially do. 

Storks is going to be the number one choice for families until Trolls in November. Kubo underperformed, as well as kind of Pete's Dragon(a small modest hit for Disney).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Storks is going to be the number one choice for families until Trolls in November. Kubo underperformed, as well as kind of Pete's Dragon(a small modest hit for Disney).

$30m+ would be still be brilliant for Storks, apart from Hotel Transylvania 1 and 2, no animated film in September has done more than $34m OW. $40m+ would be great but I'm not expecting it