DAJK

Weekend Actuals: Sully 35M, WTBB 14.2M, DB 8.25M, SS 5.72M

Good numbers for Sully and continues a very good year for Warners.

Batman v Superman ($250M)  $330M D

Suicide Squad ($175M)  $320M D

Central Intelligence ($50M) $127M D

Legend of Tarzan ($180M)$126M D

Conjuring 2 ($40M) $102M D

Lights Out ($4.9M) $66M D

Me Before You ($20M) $50M D

Barbershop: Next Cut ($20M) $54M D

How To Be Single ($38M) $47M D

Write-offs so far will be War Dogs, Nice Guys and Keanu, all of which aren’t really much of a write-off. Tarzan was looking disastrous for them, but that’s come back nicely. It really shows the value of their typical broad release strategy supplementing tentpoles that do well enough with lower budget films that could take off massively or not cost much if they don’t.

They’ll need to take control of the budgets for their DC movies. But with Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman reportedly at $175M and, I would guess, Justice League being closer to $225 due to a lot of elements (concepts, costumes, cgi, etc.) pre-developed through BvS, it seems like they already looked ahead and took care of that. Critical reception and broadening the audience for the audience for DC needs to be worked on as well, but that also seems to have been addressed by setting up DC Films to be more independent under Jon Berg and Geoff Johns.

I think Fantastic Beasts will be the lone $200M-$299M film for the year, which will be good enough to revive the Harry Potter franchise. Maybe even Storks will hit due to it’s slot. Next year they’re also pushing out two more Lego movies, so that’s another potential franchise in the making. So really, other than not green lighting high budget remakes that nobody wants (ex: Tarzan) it looks like Warners is in a good position after a rough 2015 and will be one of the few studios with multiple solid franchises and along with solid low budget films to round out their portfolio.

• Like 12

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-sully-soars-friday-926839

Clint Eastwood's Sully is dominating the skies at the North American box office, where it looks to gross an estimated $11 million on Friday from 3,525 theaters for a possible $30 million-plus weekend, according to early predictions.

Sully's debut is looking like a win for all involved, including Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures, which partnered on the adult-driven fall film, starring Tom Hanks as the real-life pilot who crash-landed a US Airways jet on the Hudson River.

The biographical drama looks to mark one of the best nationwide starts for Eastwood, save forAmerican Sniper which debuted to a stunning $107.2 million over the four-day Martin Luther King holiday weekend in 2014, including $89.3 million for the three days. In January 2008, Eastwood's box-office hit Gran Torino grossed $29.5 million when expanding nationwide.

The weekend's other new nationwide offering is the Sony/Screen Gems thriller When the Bough Breaks, starring Morris Chestnut and Regina Hall as a childless couple who hire a surrogate, only to be caught up in a deadly game.

When the Bough Breaks, playing in 2,246 theaters, is doing solid business for a possible $7 million Friday and $17 million-plus weekend, according to projections. On the same weekend last year, Screen Gems' The Perfect Guy, also starring Chestnut, debuted to $25.9 million.

Also debuting this weekend, albeit in fewer theaters, or roughly 1,554 locations, is Relativity Media's The Disappointments Room, which is faring dismally for a possible $1.6 million weekend. The horror film, directed by D.J. Caruso and starring Kate Beckinsale and Lucas Till, is the first title Relativity has released since emerging from Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

Write-offs so far will be War Dogs, Nice Guys and Keanu, all of which aren’t really much of a write-off. Tarzan was looking disastrous for them, but that’s come back nicely. It really shows the value of their typical broad release strategy supplementing tentpoles that do well enough with lower budget films that could take off massively or not cost much if they don’t.

They’ll need to take control of the budgets for their DC movies. But with Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman reportedly at $175M and, I would guess, Justice League being closer to $225 due to a lot of elements (concepts, costumes, cgi, etc.) pre-developed through BvS, it seems like they already looked ahead and took care of that. Critical reception and broadening the audience for the audience for DC needs to be worked on as well, but that also seems to have been addressed by setting up DC Films to be more independent under Jon Berg and Geoff Johns.

I think Fantastic Beasts will be the lone $200M-$299M film for the year, which will be good enough to revive the Harry Potter franchise. Maybe even Storks will hit due to it’s slot. Next year they’re also pushing out two more Lego movies, so that’s another potential franchise in the making. So really, other than not green lighting high budget remakes that nobody wants (ex: Tarzan) it looks like Warners is in a good position after a rough 2015 and will be one of the few studios with multiple solid franchises and along with solid low budget films to round out their portfolio.

Warner Bros has a good year, I think they're building their main franchises with DC, Wizarding World and Lego as well as films from WAG, New Line and midbudget films and that'll bear its fruits in the next few years. 

• Like 3

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-sully-when-the-bough-breaks-wild-life-1201856193/

Tom Hanks’ “Sully” is dominating the box office as the thriller-biopic heads for a $32 million weekend at 3,525 locations, early estimates showed Friday.

That’s well above recent forecasts, which had placed the Warner Bros. film in the $25 million range. Warner Bros. maintained that estimate for “Sully” on Friday — even though it was heading for a $12 million opening day, including $1.4 million from Thursday night previews.

Sony-Screen Gems drama “When the Bough Breaks” also appears to be outperforming estimates which had been in the $10 to $12 million range. Early estimates indicated that the Morris Chestnut-Regina Hall starrer would come in with a $6 million Friday and between $18 and $20 million at 2,246 sites for the weekend.

Lionsgate’s launch of animated comedy “The Wild Life” was generating only modest interest with an opening day in the $900,000 range at 2,493 locations for a weekend of around $3.5 million. Relativity’s horror film “The Disappointments Room” was even less attractive with about $650,000 on Friday for a weekend of $2 million at best.

17 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

They also partnered on several. Newline (Toby Emmerich having a great year for WB)  with MGM for Me Before You, How To Be Single & Barbershop and with Universal  for Central Intelligence .  I think Nice Guys was a pick up with WB as distributor but not on the hook for most of the budget.

Hmm... MGM has had an interesting year as a production studio.  They had those small mostly very profitable co-productions with New Line along with the massive flop Ben Hur with Paramount (MGM on the hook for 80% + marketing).  They also have The Magnificent Seven with Sony is as distributor.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Black Mass is Rated R so may not seem like the best comparison but it also starred a big actor in a biographical story in September just last year with similar previews.

Giving Sully the same Sat bump from non-preview Friday and the same Sun drop,

1.40 + 7.37 + 8.77 + 5.1 = 22.64 [Black Mass]

1.35 + 9.65 + 11.48 + 6.66 = 29.14 [Sully]

Considering Sully's previews were far less front-loaded and being a PG-13 movie I expect a better Sat bump than Black Mass for a 30-31 weekend.

11+ 12-12.5 + 7-7.5 = 30-31

EDIT: 32.5-34 using Variety's Friday of 12

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

They also partnered on several. Newline (Toby Emmerich having a great year for WB)  with MGM for Me Before You, How To Be Single & Barbershop and with Universal  for Central Intelligence .  I think Nice Guys was a pick up with WB as distributor but not on the hook for most of the budget.

Hmm... MGM has had an interesting year as a production studio.  They had those small mostly very profitable co-productions with New Line along with the massive flop Ben Hur with Paramount (MGM on the hook for 80% + marketing).  They also have The Magnificent Seven with Sony is as distributor.

Any profit MGM made with Me Before You, How to be Single, Barbershop etc will be wiped by Ben Hur and I don't think Mag 7 even if it's successful will be able to recover those profits or any losses. 

New Line Cinema has had a great year, the mix of horror and comedy has made them important to WB along with DC. They saved WB's bacon last year with San Andreas so you'd hope they been given the chance to do a tentpole under the New Line brand but they have nothing in development apart from Shazam

16 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That's terrific for Sully. Hanks still got it. WTBB also pretty good (not quite my Perfect Guy expectations, but really good nonetheless). TDR breaking the horror streak, but whatever, it was to be expected.

Sully and Inferno could make it 2 100m dom grossers for Hanks this year.

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Sully and Inferno could make it 2 100m dom grossers for Hanks this year.

Inferno's difficult to predict, Angels and Demons did $46m OW but that was in summer seven years ago. I imagine Sony would be thrilled with anything over $30m but $25-30m is my guess. It'll do superb business OS like the last two films. 

5 hours ago, grey ghost said:

This is terrible for a Monsters Inc. spin off.

:apocalypse:

Sully is actually a spin-off to Pixar's Wally, not Monsters Inc. 

:depp:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

The draw of Tom Hanks, Eastwood and the real life Captain Sullenberger is kind of amazing if you think about it. A movie about a plane landing safely is going to make 30M OW.

Considering that Flight did this sort of film better, the fact it's making more than that on OW is astonishing.