chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

64th - Robin Hood

108pts - 11 votes, 1 top 5 (2014: 70th Up 6)

Still the best adaptation of Robin Hood to date. 

This is one of my own personal top 10 Disney films (I'd place it near the top of the bottom 5 of the top 10 [that's about 6-8th in actual English). Once I got past the confusion of Baloo playing Little John, it just becomes a great fun Disney classic that a young me never knew was actually a cheaply made cobbled together animation that blatantly steals scene and animations from previous films. 

Despite its setbacks, Robin Hood has great characters, wonderful songs and one of the more fun villains in the Disney canon. The film is a surprising joy and it's nice to see it get some love. 

A slight increase too which makes me happy. Especially as we closer to the summit. 

• Like 10

63rd - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

120pts - 12 votes, (2014: 43rd Down 20)

Bask in the glory of the greatest Disney Villain song.

Disney is out in force right now. A few positions earlier I spoke about how I never saw any of the Disney animations from Hercules/Tarzan to Tangled assuming they were all bad and over the past few years have realised that I was very very wrong on multiple counts. Hunchback is one of the prime examples of this. Watching this for the first time aged about 29 years old, I sat there amazed that Disney actually did this.

Yes there is some silliness with the gargoyles, but the arc and character of Frollo, the songs and especially hellfire are brilliant and it was a criminally underwatched film at the time (by me included). 

I am both happy that this film made it as high as 63 and pretty upset that it fell 20 places from last time around. Really good film.    

• Like 6

62nd - Hercules

122pts - 14 votes, (2014: 52rd Down 10)

Probably the best cinematic Hercules, but kind of by default really...

I forget whether I saw this or Tarzan first, (I should also add here that my personal Disney timeline is very different from the actual real timeline of releases. After Lion King, Tarzan and Hercules were the only two Disney animations I saw until 2012, so even if some films like Hunchback and Pocahontas were pre-Tarzan, I consider them all post-Tarzan), but I did enjoy this film quite a bit (and I do like the Bolton song :) )

It's not as good as the films this list has not seen yet from the same period, but it is a film that deserves a place on a list like this. It has dropped 10 places and that is a pretty decent hold with all the big increasers and new entries. 

• Like 6

61st - Cinderella

124pts - 11 votes, 1 top 10 (2014: 56th Down 5)

Is this the first 'princess movie' on the list so far... oh no we have had Pocahontas already. 

One of the classic classic Disney films. Cinderella is pretty timeless in my opinion. The animation is beautiful and the songs great too. I'm personally a little surprised it finished below its two main contemporaries, although at the same time I can also see why. 

A 5 place drop again means it essentially holds firm for this list. I would personally find that it has finished just on the wrong side of 50th.   

• Like 7

60th - Brave

125pts - 15 votes,  (2014: 57th Down 3)

I think I would rate this as the most underrated Pixar film.

This film got a lot of hate when it came out. I remember people talking about the end of Pixar, or the 'streak being broken' and so forth. Then I saw it... and it was good. Really good. Possibly the closest Pixar will get to doing a Ghibli film (there were parts that felt almost Mononoke-like to me). 

I was surprised by the directions the film went in with the bear stuff and all, but there was heart, comedy and a lot of fun to be had. It seems to have got a little more love since its release and has received the most votes of any film on this list so far. It will take about another 10 positions to see a film receive more than 15 votes.   

• Like 8

59th - Sleeping Beauty

130pts - 13 votes,  (2014: 47th Down 12)

The inspiration for the first good live action Disney remake.

Yeah that's right, I really enjoyed Maleficent so sue me! :D Let me be clear though, this film is great too. It introduced us to an iconic Disney villain (perhaps the first truly threatening Disney villain in my eyes). 

There are some dark scenes and some nicer light-hearted scenes. I think it may also be the first Disney film where the Prince is actually half given something to do other than just kiss the girl. 

This is also another Disney film to drop a few places at the expense of other big movers. Still a strong finish though. 

• Like 11

58th - Finding Dory

132pts - 14 votes,  (2014: N/A)

The better of the 'Finding' films makes its appearance. 

I have on many an occasion spoken of how the only Pixar film I didn't like (before Good Dinosaur lowered the bar) was Finding Nemo, and one of the big reasons for that was the character of Dory. She made my brain want to leave my body and jump into the nearest bucket of acid. 

Therefore I was really quite surprised to discover that this film was actually fine. Not good, but fine. I think I even laughed once. Yes Dory was still horrible, the octopus stuff was silly and the Whale sonar stuff made me want to watch Norm of the North on a 24 hour loop if it meant experiencing anything else. Overall though, I found it watchable and so I am not surprised it made the list.

I think the newness has aided this film this year and in the next list I expect it to potentially fall out of the top 100. Only time will tell though. 

• Like 9

57th - Paranorman

134pts - 12 votes, 1 First Place (2014: 59th Up 2)

One of the 4 remaining films on the list that I have not seen...

One of those 4 films (this, coraline, Frankenweenie and Corpse Bride) that all sort of blended together in my head even if it turns out that they are all completely different from each other.

This film performed strongly all vote. It got a good range of votes including a first place which was enough to have it knocking on the door of the top 50. It has increased 2 places since last time around to suggest that this is a position it should maintain as the years go by. 

• Like 8

56th - Tarzan

135pts - 14 votes, (2014: 34th Down 22)

Another of the decent Disney films getting a decent finish 

Yeah I liked Tarzan and I think this is the right position for it (at least relative to the other Disney films), It's a decent retelling of the Tarzan story with a good soundtrack in my opinion (even if it is easy to hate on Phil Collins). 

A 22 place drop is pretty darn big to be honest, although I would go as far as to say that 36th was a few places to high than 56th being too low. 

• Like 12

55th - The Prince of Egypt

136pts - 13 votes, 1 top 5 (2014: 28th Down 27)

The best animated Bible story ever

This is a film that sort of happened at a time when people were not yet noticing Dreamworks animation. they were producing good films like El Dorado and this, but they were still not really being seen as genuine big players it seemed until a big green bloke came and blew the animated scene wide open.

This is a good musical, with a great voice cast that does a good job of finding a balance between making a good animation for the family and staying faithful to the religious story being retold. 

Another big drop from 2 years ago, again suggests that we are due a few shock increases to replace these drops. But what could they be? 

• Like 11

54th - A Bug's Life

136pts - 15 votes, (2014: 45th Down 9)

If you are going to forget a Pixar film, it's probably this one

The film that sparked an animated ant film craze (is three films a craze). A Bug's life was a fun remake of an Italian styled American remake of a Japanese film. This is an underrated animation (I say about a film with 15 votes and voted the 54th best animation ever). 

Obviously Pixar went on to greater things than this with its later films, but I would say that this should be a little closer to the higher regarded films than it gets. The drop of 9 places is less tahn most of the most recent films have dropped. I have a feeling that the next film on the list is one of the big increasers that has pushed some of these films down so many places. 

• Like 12

fuck it, i'm in an animation mood, i'll just watch everything i haven't seen from the bottom up until i'm bored. just saw nightmare before christmas (decent) and ernest and celestine (really good).

Edited by luna
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, luna said:

is there a list-to-date post somewhere? some of the films on the bottom half look interesting.

I posted one near the bottom of page 9 but I suppose there's been enough films since then to warrant an update. List is spoiler-tagged below.

Spoiler
150th - Erneste and Celeste
149th - The Pirates: Band of Misfits
148th - Madagascar 3
147th - Madagascar
146th - Transformers: The Movie
145th - Flushed Away
144th - Megamind
143rd - Oliver and Company
142nd - Hotel Transylvania
141st - Rise of the Guardians
140th - Titan A.E
139th - Fantastic Planet
138th - All Dogs Go To Heaven
137th - Frankenweenie
136th - An American Tale: Feivel Goes West
135th - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
134th - A Goofy Movie
133rd - The Good Dinosaur
132nd - Arthur Christmas
131st - Monster House
130th - Meet The Robinsons
129th - Road to Eldorado
128th - Winnie The Pooh (2011)
127th - Cars
126th - Puss in Boots
125th - The Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki
124th - Anastasia
123rd - The Aristocats
122nd - Yellow Submarine
121st - Ducktales: The Movie
120th - It's Such a Beautiful Day
119th - Watership Down
118th - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
117th - Shaun the Sheep
116th - The Rescuers
115th - The Polar Express
114th - Despicable Me 2
113th - The Rescuers Down Under
112th - Tokyo Godfathers
111th - Team America: World Police
110th - Pocahontas
109th - The Adventures of Tintin
108th - Ice Age
107th - Kubo and the Two Strings
106th - Whisper of the Heart
105th - Paprika
104th - The Corpse Bride
103rd - Castle in the Sky
102nd - The Secret of the Kells
101st - Waking Life
100th - Ghost in the Shell
99th - The Triplets of Belleville
98th - The Peanuts Movie
97th - An American Tale
96th - The Fox and the Hound
95th - Happy Feet
94th - Millennium Actress
93rd - The Croods
92nd - Sword in the Stone
91st - The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
90th - Porco Rosso
89th - Mary and Max
88th - Only Yesterday
87th - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
86th - The Little Prince
85th - Alice in Wonderland
84th - Kung Fu Panda 3
83rd - Monsters University
82nd - The Illusionist
81st - When Marnie was There
80th - The Brave Little Toaster
79th - Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Wererabbit
78th - The Secret World of Arrietty
77th - Peter Pan
76th - Song of the Sea
75th - The Tale of Princess Kaguya
74th - Persepolis
73rd - The Book of Life
72nd - Kiki's Delivery Service
71st - Chicken Run
70th - The Secret of N.I.M.H
69th - Bolt
68th - The Great Mouse Detective
67th - Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
66th - Ponyo
65th - The Simpsons Movie
64th - Robin Hood
63rd - The Hunchback of Notre Dame
62nd - Hercules
61st - Cinderella
60th - Brave
59th - Sleeping Beauty
58th - Finding Dory
57th - Paranorman
56th - Tarzan
55th - The Prince of Egypt
54th - A Bug's Life

• Like 3

53rd - Akira

137pts - 9 votes, 3 top 5 (2014: 65th Up 12)

The penultimate film to receive less than 10 votes

In fact, apart from the other 9 vote wonder, every other film left on the list received 12 or more votes. This is also the 3rd last film on this list to not be watched by me.

This list has given me two big takeaways though.

1: 3 people placed this top 5, suggests that people who like it, generally really really like it so it may be worth the time to see it.

2. Do not watch the dubbed version as the voice acting in that trailer was quite horrifying. 

A decent increase of 12 places since the last list. I believe this also wins the prize for highest ranked non-American animation not made by a certain Japanese studio.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

53rd - Akira

137pts - 9 votes, 3 top 5 (2014: 65th Up 12)

The penultimate film to receive less than 10 votes

In fact, apart from the other 9 vote wonder, every other film left on the list received 12 or more votes. This is also the 3rd last film on this list to not be watched by me.

This list has given me two big takeaways though.

1: 3 people placed this top 5, suggests that people who like it, generally really really like it so it may be worth the time to see it.

2. Do not watch the dubbed version as the voice acting in that trailer was quite horrifying. 

A decent increase of 12 places since the last list. I believe this also wins the prize for highest ranked non-American animation not made by a certain Japanese studio.

Yay!

The dubs for Akira suck, btw. Find the original Japanese trailer here: 

This is one of the few Japanese animated features to do voice acting before animation.

Edited by cannastop

52nd - How to Train Your Dragon 2

140pts - 14 votes,  (2014: 24th Down 28)

I always thought that this was perceived as better than the first by many members here...

But it seems that I was wrong. This is my 3rd favourite Dreamworks Franchise (but that's a compliment as the studio has made 3 stellar franchises to date). The dragon franchise was a lot better than I expected when I first saw the first one and this second one was a good followup to the first. 

The animation is also pretty gorgeous, some of the most beautiful out there and the universe has been set up to potentially produce a definitive 3rd installment in a few years times. 

the 28 place drop is steep and surprising. I wonder what happened. 

• Like 9

HTTYD2 has all the makings of a great movie, and yet the final result doesn't leave much of a lasting impact. Is it because the movie doesn't spend much time exploring one single element in depth and instead spends time juggling several and doesn't quite do full justice to any of them? 

• Like 3