chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

71st - Chicken Run 

100pts - 11 votes,   (2014: 69th Down 2)

I personally am happy to see this beat Wallace and Gromit...

I'm happy to see this film continue to maintain its position on the list. It was a lot of fun and also a pretty impressive feat of filmmaking when it was released. As much as I like Pocahontas, Gibson's personality suits this film a lot more and it just makes a fun enjoyable film that is truly for all ages. 

Down two places is arguably a net gain in the grand scheme of things as (Spoiler) more than 2 animated films since August 2014 are on this list between now and 1st place :) 

• Like 7

70th - The Secret of N.I.M.H 

102pts - 9 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10   (2014: 96th Up 26)

Nightmare fuel. Pure fucking nightmare fuel this film was. 

Seriously, this film (along with Watership Down) genuinely terrified me as a child. It's a great film and one that should be watched by any fan of animation (including apparent casual fly-by-night animation watchers such as myself) at some point in their life. Objectively, this is possibly Bluth's finest work in animation. However, it appears that many of us (myself included), don't go in for that objectivity malarky. 

A big increase from last time out is pretty encouraging. Shows it's not only the foreign stuff that is pushing upwards this time around.

• Like 6

69th - Bolt

102pts - 12 votes,   (2014: 99th Up 30)

The only official Disney Animation Studio film on the list I haven't seen I believe.. no my mistake, Meet the Robinsons was on here earlier.

So is this worth seeing then? 13 votes isn't to be sneezed at and it did crack 100 points. It's one of many Disney animations I assumed to be shit from between Tarzan and Tangled up until my reawakening upon watching said movie: Tangled. I have been proven wrong 7 times out of a possible ummm 7 so far, would watching this make it 8? 

It's also increased pretty heavily to with a 30 place rise so maybe the following is building. 

• Like 10

68th - The Great Mouse Detective

103pts - 10 votes, 1 top 10   (2014: 114th Up 46)

If you ignore the odd musical medley affairs of the early Disney times, is this perhaps the most forgotten Disney Animation?

Even Black Cauldron is remembered for being the film that almost broke Disney, but then again this did get 10 votes and 103 points, so maybe it is just me that would probably remember this one last if doing a Sporcle quiz on Disney animated films. It's by no means a bad film, it's a lot of fun indeed. It is just a little different from the Disney formula in my eyes so it always escapes my mind. (It has also been 20 plus years since I have seen it which does not help this matter also. 

A massive upward mover with an increase of over 40 places, I wonder if anything else to come can achieve an increase higher than this? 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

So is this worth seeing then? 13 votes isn't to be sneezed at and it did crack 100 points. It's one of many Disney animations I assumed to be shit from between Tarzan and Tangled up until my reawakening upon watching said movie: Tangled. I have been proven wrong 7 times out of a possible ummm 7 so far, would watching this make it 8?

I watched this shortly after the submission deadline, if I'd watched it in time I would definitely have included it on my list. Probably somewhere in the 30s. Bit of a toss-up with Lilo & Stitch as my favourite from the Tarzan to Tangled period (excluding Tangled, of course).

67th - Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

105pts - 13 votes,   (2014: 60th Down 7)

The puns and silliness in this series always makes me happy.

I have a real soft spot for this film. It is just nice and fun which is hard not to hate. The food stuff is really imaginative and it is the perfect sort of film to show to a bunch of young elementary aged students on a day when you know you will have to watch the same film 4 times in 2 days.

It did however end the run of big increasers we had going. I was also sad that Cloudy 2 only made 191st :( 

• Like 9

66th - Ponyo

106pts - 10 votes, 2 top 10   (2014: 72nd Up 6)

Miyazaki's unofficial remake of Tom Hanks' Splash

The penultimate Ghibli film on this list that I didn't see... I dunno, it just seemed a little silly. Of course the line between silly and magical can be very very close sometimes. I still put it 2nd or 3rd on my list of Ghibli films I will watch at some point. 

Another increase for a Japanese animation, albeit smaller than some of the previous increases. But then we are getting near the top so it will be hard for big 30-40 place increases going forward. 

• Like 12

65th - The Simpsons Movie

107pts - 10 votes, (2014: 64th Down 1)

The moment when Simpsons got good again :)

This film could have been a horrible lazy cash in and it wasn't. It was really fun and had some jokes that were real classic fun Simpsons comedy. (I like the Spiderpig bit a lot more than I should). It alsokickstarted decent writing in the series as well which was a nice upshot.

We almost had our second non-mover, but alas we missed out on that treasure by one measly place. 

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Cloudy is great fun - wacky and wildly inventive.  Cloudy 2 on the other hand was a half hearted rehash.  Like Ghost-busters 2.  Meh.

Not saying number two is better, just that I still liked it.

Heck who am I kidding, it was the food puns! All the PUNS!!!!

• Like 2

was kinda shocked to see waking life on here, not that linklater is some unknown avant-gardist but it just doesn't seem to be talked about much. it's the only film of his that i've actually enjoyed to date lol.

and yeah, still really need to see paprika/perfect blue/etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda's With Her said:

Gosh, I wonder if Inside Out will make the list?

If you squint close enough, I think you might be able to see it on the runner-up list.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, The Panda's With Her said:

Gosh, I wonder if Inside Out will make the list?

No joke, I actually think it's one of the contenders for the top spot. Along with the films mentioned earlier (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Spirited Away, The Lion King).

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

Did Prince of Egypt make the list? it was in my top 3...

Not yet.