chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

94th - Millennium Actress

76pts - 5 votes, 1 top 5, 1 Top 10 (2014: 166th Up 72)

This apparently is not a Biopic of Cheryl Ladd

Another big Japanese climber, this is the final film on the list to receive 5 votes or less. With an average of close to 15 per voter, every voter for this film placed it high and strong so it is well loved by a significant sector of the animation watching public. 

I know essentially nothing about this film. I assume it is part of the Paprika et all studio. I will one day give one of these films a chance... maybe :)

• Like 8

93rd - The Croods

76pts - 9 votes (2014: 73rd Down 20)

Nick Cage gets a list finally!!!

The Croods came about when Dreamworks was trying to find its next great franchise as Shrek and Madagascar were drawing to a close. And it turned out to be completely... well fine. It was a good film, enjoyable and I look forward to the sequel. I am not sure if 93rd is right (even if I placed it about 70th myself), but it is certainly not a travesty. 

Down 20 from 2 years  ago back when it was still reasonably fresh in the minds, will be interesting to see how this fairs in future. 

• Like 6

92nd - Sword in the Stone

78pts - 8 votes (2014: 94th Up 2)

Still the best version of King Arthur Hollywood has (and possibly ever will have) done. 

I love this film. There was possibly only about 4 or 5 (if that) Disney films I watched more than this as a child, actually thinking about it, there may actually only be too. Heck I watched this film so much, it is possible that the first ever female I ever cared for was a God Damned cartoon squirrel. 

The songs in this are severely underrated, Merlin is fantastic and the magic and madness is enjoyable be you man, child or beast. It's so worth a watch.

94th was too low 2 years ago and 92nd is too low now in my opinion. 

• Like 12

Sorry it has slowed up the last few days. The network at work decided to delete itself and with it pretty much everything I ever made or prepared. 

Means I have been putting in 12-15 hour days trying to get myself back ahead so that I can resume lazily ambling through work and life again.

Will endeavor to keep getting a few films in each day. But it means I am starting at midnight or later instead of like 9pm. 

Worst case scenario regardless though is that we hit top 70 by the weekend, hopefully top 50. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Sorry it has slowed up the last few days. The network at work decided to delete itself and with it pretty much everything I ever made or prepared. 

Means I have been putting in 12-15 hour days trying to get myself back ahead so that I can resume lazily ambling through work and life again.

Will endeavor to keep getting a few films in each day. But it means I am starting at midnight or later instead of like 9pm. 

Worst case scenario regardless though is that we hit top 70 by the weekend, hopefully top 50. 

:(

At least our like counters will reset then...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Yikes, that sounds awful! Sorry to hear that.

12 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

No worries! Appreciate you doing this, no need to rush it!

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

At least our like counters will reset then...

+1. I keep hitting the 500-like cap, and there isn't even another upgrade option...

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

94th - Millennium Actress

76pts - 5 votes, 1 top 5, 1 Top 10 (2014: 166th Up 72)

This apparently is not a Biopic of Cheryl Ladd

Another big Japanese climber, this is the final film on the list to receive 5 votes or less. With an average of close to 15 per voter, every voter for this film placed it high and strong so it is well loved by a significant sector of the animation watching public. 

I know essentially nothing about this film. I assume it is part of the Paprika et all studio. I will one day give one of these films a chance... maybe :)

Of Satoshi Kon's four features, Tokyo Godfathers is the Heart, Paprika the Mind, Perfect Blue the Shadow and Millennium Actress the Soul. One of the incredibly few films to move me so deeply. And as beautiful and profound as Actress is, the music by Hirasawa Susumu takes it to another plane altogether:

• Like 4

On October 10, 2016 at 0:52 PM, cannastop said:

I'm legitimately surprised that The Sword in the Stone showed up on the list.

On October 10, 2016 at 1:14 PM, IndustriousAngel said:

It's enjoyable enough and the magic duel is one for the ages. However, I understand you feeling ... the movie as a whole feels a bit uneven and rushed.

s2EATWd.gif

Spoiler

Okay, I see your point.  :ph34r:

Still....

s2EATWd.gif

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

My biggest takeaway so far is that @chasmmi needs to see more films. Or perhaps any films. 

I have a similar takeaway. 

In my defence, it is more that I do not watch a lot of foreign language animation and a lot of European/Japanese stuff populates the 80-150th positions. 

I think out of the top 70, there are only 2 films that I haven't seen and there is a chance I will watch one/both of them pretty soon. 

(Can I try to spin it that this shows that I only watch the good stuff? ;) ) 

• Like 4

91st - The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

84pts - 8 votes 1 top 10 (2014: 78th Down 13)

Finally Kaa the snake got his own film vehicle...

Proof that Disney has been respecting franchises it acquires for Decades, this is a wonderful film that I watched so many times as a child. The confusions comes from remembering which adventure was in which film or short (Blustery Day was a particular favourite). 

It is a shame to see the film drop a few places, but top 100 is still respectable and you gotta love that Tigger scene. 

• Like 7

90th - Porco Rosso

86pts - 8 votes (2014: 102nd Up 12)

Out of the mere 15 films left on the list that I have not seen, this begins a run of 5 in a row. Hooray for me!

Another of the (would it be fair to say) second tier Ghibli films at least from a level of fame and recognition point of view. From the title and that youtube screen cap, I assume that this is the story of some sort of red pig. 

It has increased a few places since last list which seems pretty standard for the Japanese contingent on this list. As always I wish I could say more, but I will have to wait until I have watched the next 47 films on my animation 'to watch' list. :) 

• Like 6

89th - Mary and Max

87pts - 7 votes, 1 top 10 (2014: 80th Down 9)

Okay, before I find out for certain on youtube, I am guessing that this is a quaint little French thing using Plasticine Stop-Motion...

Well, I was pretty damn close. Another film that I will sadly never see, but that seems to have the respect of those who have watched it to suggest it would be very recommendable to anyone who could be into this style of animation. 

Down 9 places is essentially breaking even over two years when factoring the new films of 2015 and 2016 I believe. 

• Like 6

88th - Only Yesterday

87pts - 7 votes, 1 top 10 (2014: 191st Up 103)

Another film to make me feel bad about my lack of watched films. 

To be honest, I would be more surprised by Ghibli films not making the list, than making them, the studio has consistent high quality and this one more than many received a pretty strong points per vote ratio. 

A 100 place plus increase is also testament to the strength of foreign films on this year's list and also maybe suggests that this is one of the better less recognised Ghibli films out there. 

• Like 8