That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Saturday Asgrard pg 28 or 29 DS 32 Trolls 19 HR 5.8

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This is factually a lie. The three lowest grossing X-Men films are The Wolverine, First Class, and Apocalypse. Outside of Deadpool the ONLY X-Men film to surpass the original X-Men's gross since 2009 is Future Past.

The original X-men grossed $296M. The three films that you claim to be the lowest grossing have outgrossed that film and in fact the original X-men is the lowest grossing X-men film but if you're adjusting for inflation....

Edited by Nova

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

The Wolverine grossed 415M

First Class grossed 350M 

Apocalypse grossed 544M 

Now compare those numbers to your typical X-men film and the only outlier is Future Past which is the highest grossing X-men movie outside of Deadpool. 

The X-Men franchise was never ever churning out billion dollar movies. Most of their films have grossed around the numbers that are mentioned for the three films above. The average X-men franchise movie makes 477M but take into account that Future Past and Deadpool inflate those numbers and as I said there is no "fatigue" when it comes to Super hero movies.  

The recent ones have increased WW due to O/S growth and expanding markets though APOC dropped off 30% from DOFP /S.  Domestically the peak was X2 & X3, selling about 30% more than tickets than DOFP and about twice as much as as FC, APOC & Wolverine.   Adjusted X2 and X3 were ~ $305m domestic movies (pre 3D) selling only a couple million fewer tickets than BvS and SS 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So basically DS followed Thor 2's Saturday increase (told @WrathOfHan a 55% increase was too much to expect) from True Friday and Trolls followed Peanuts.

83-85M for Strange with a 32-35% drop on Sunday, 45 for Trolls with a Peanuts like drop on Sunday.

Should get 240 and 140 respectively give or take 5%.

TDW's first Monday was Veteran's day which softened the Sun Drop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The recent ones have increased WW due to O/S growth and expanding markets though APOC dropped off 30% from DOFP /S.  Domestically the peak was X2 & X3, selling about 30% more than tickets than DOFP and about twice as much as as FC, APOC & Wolverine.   Adjusted X2 and X3 were ~ $305m domestic movies (pre 3D) selling only a couple million fewer tickets than BvS and SS 

When I was initially talking about super hero fatigue I was referring to WW box office and I wasn't adjusting for inflation. The inflation takes too much math for me but I appreciate you doing it and putting it all into perspective lol 

13 minutes ago, Kraken said:

How much of that is fatigue and how much is a lot of people writing the series off after two awful movies in a row (x3 and origins)?

Sure, bad movies cause fatigue - probably far more more than too much competition. They damaged the brand and FC and DOFP helped rebuild it.

APOC  lacked the huge plus of the added returning cast that helped DOFP. Then add the mediocre reviews and coming in the shadow of CW (and after DP and BvS) and voila decreased interest.   But that's more fanchise fatigue than SH fatigue.  Just like the MI or Bond or Bourne series having peaks and valleys doesn't mean there's general Action/Spy fatigue.  And those series have re-invented and freshened themselves up (Bond has done it time and time again) - so might X-Men.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mahnamahna said:

Better than expected for Doctor Strange! $84-88 million OW and a 2.5x would mean $210-220 million DOM. 

Hacksaw Ridge is doing well. I think it can do $17-18 million next weekend and make a run for $75 million+

I think this movie may break out ala Argo or Lincoln.

Award season should extends its legs well into 2017.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

How's Arrival tracking? It's still at 100 on RT. 

Tracking for about  $15-16m opening in 2200 theaters

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/arrival_2016

Yep, though Moonlight at 98% has a higher avg in general and top critics (where Arrival is still rather light)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/moonlight_2016

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure, bad movies cause fatigue - probably far more more than too much competition. They damaged the brand and FC and DOFP helped rebuild it.

APOC  lacked the huge plus of the added returning cast that helped DOFP. Then add the mediocre reviews and coming in the shadow of CW (and after DP and BvS) and voila decreased interest.   But that's more fanchise fatigue than SH fatigue.  Just like the MI or Bond or Bourne series having peaks and valleys doesn't mean there's general Action/Spy fatigue.  And those series have re-invented and freshened themselves up (Bond has done it time and time again) - so might X-Men.

The thing with X Men is that back in 2000 it felt like they had to distance themselves from the comics and Singer's take was a little more grounded and a lot less colorful. Something Raimi's Spiderman and the MCU never did. Now, it produced some great movies (I'll take any good X-film over anything Marvel's done) but it doesn't really have that larger than life expectacle the others do. And the franchise is designed to handle some pretty heavy themes. Just like the superb Planet of the Apes series, it's hard for them to break out when humanity itself is a bad guy. 

As for freshening itself up: Deadpool is probably the way. A movie that wears its comic books flag proudly.

54 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Hulk?

Marvel Studios was not the only involved studio for that one. Vakyrie Studios (sp.?) was involved too, see the Ghost Rider movies. At least then IMHO not that good of a team.

And Avi Arad (coming out of the ToyBiz who bought Marvel before Disney bought it later), who was strongly against the MCU, was still in power for that one. You should watch the extras on the discs (forgot if its on Hulk or IHulk), he has no respect at all for the fans, thinks they do not need effort in a way.

He left Marvel as e.g. Marvel Studio boss (Marvel Entertainment,...) in 2006, but you'll see him on behind the scene material later on still

He wrote details in the contracts (selling movie rights) that included him as a person being the producer and so on. Here such a contract would get either annulled or changed considerable and he would end in jail.

He works e.g. for Sony since a time.... (see ASM reboot idea, now oversees seemingly 'Venom') and other ... whatever.

Simplified:

Hulk Distribution (advertising...) not by Disney (not sure about in the US, too lazy to look it up for the moment). On paper Hulk is Universal (there is - I think - still some legal tangle, what might e a reason for a missing new Hulk movie), Iron Man 1+2 then (rights bought out by Disney now) Paramount.

Beside that: It wasn't a success financially, but I think the totals including DVDs, TV,... ww via later interest based on the MCU might have lessened the 'damage' a bit. Maybe wishful thinking, I didn't check that

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Doctor Rth said:

Sat looking like 

DR 32,T 19,HR 5.8

My Trolls showing was sold out about a half hour before showtime; not that surprised it's doing super well

Doctor Strange increased from Friday proper, solid

• Like 1