kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

2 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

You haven't seen food fight have you?

No, but that’s not the point. My point is that awful reception isn’t proof of objectively low quality. 

Batman & Robin is one of the most hated movies of all time and i know a bunch of gay people that liked it quite a bit because it’s such a camp and irreverent movie. 

Even the movies that seems like everyone hates have fans, always.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Sure you can.

I'll give some examples: food fight, cats (2019) ready to rumble. Those are all objectly bad films. 

You can believe that but you cannot prove it

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Liked this movie as well, love the characters and i really love that overall it looks like an actual movie. 

I do think tho the movie doesn’t have such a strong thematic point or focus. It have a lot of great ideas that feels like first draft, so it have many great isolated moments but the thing as a whole feels a bit off. 

I really find a bit disrespectful that Chapek give the crew like 6 months to find another movie after the tragedy. It feels like they didn’t have enough time to process the pain and maturate the many great ideas they had.

Still a pretty interesting movie, which is very impressive for such a troubled production, Coogler is really good in what he does, it’ll be a shame if Marvel loses him like some people speculate.

I know this isn’t the thread for it, so I’ll keep it brief, but I definitely agree with that take. I did like it, but didn’t love it (my above comment was also a bit of an indictment on the MCU input as of late). I was very intrigued by the ways that it explores different people dealing with grief, and though I know people don’t like the actress, I thought her journey and inner battle was quite convincing (and very mature for late MCU standards). It did feel long as hell and the student scientist plot was pretty dumb.

Also, though no fault of its own, but the fact that this came out so close to Avatar 2 makes the underwater cinematography look 100x times worse. Kept wishing I was back in my IMAX 3D showing of the way of water

Now, enough of this… and let the review (positive or negative?) meltdown begin!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

There's a 2 hpour video from Fringy proving that Endgame is bad, idk how that movie got such amazing reviews

So your one opinionated YouTube review invalidates all the other reviews on RT?

Got it. 

4 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

I know this isn’t the thread for it, so I’ll keep it brief, but I definitely agree with that take. I did like it, but didn’t love it (my above comment was also a bit of an indictment on the MCU input as of late). I was very intrigued by the ways that it explores different people dealing with grief, and though I know people don’t like the actress, I thought her journey and inner battle was quite convincing (and very mature for late MCU standards). It did feel long as hell and the student scientist plot was pretty dumb.

Also, though no fault of its own, but the fact that this came out so close to Avatar 2 makes the underwater cinematography look 100x times worse. Kept wishing I was back in my IMAX 3D showing of the way of water

Now, enough of this… and let the review (positive or negative?) meltdown begin!

I think talk about movies is probably better than people keeping melting down over reviews that aren’t even out yet hahah 

But yeah, hard agreed with everything.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

See this is the kind of thing I was looking forward to. But now the critical split could very much just dump cold ice water on it depending on how it winds up breaking

Eh, this film is still destined for a huge opening regardless of response. The hype is too big to kill.

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think talk about movies is probably better than people keeping melting down over reviews that aren’t even out yet hahah 

But yeah, hard agreed with everything.

Hahaha fair enough 😄

Deadpool is the first MCU movie I’m watching in a hot sec so I’m doing a little catch-up this week. Only have Quantumania and The Marvels left, keep me in your thoughts…

• Like 1

Guys why are so manny freaking out?

It is not a surprise trade critics don't like a nostalgia, cameo fest with a multiversal plot. NWH worked because it was the first one of this kind. Today, 3 years later it would habe had a waaay lower score. We need to let the expectation of only 90% scores go. Times have changed. Marvel will never get this numbers again. Look at GotG3. For manny an all time MCU movie. This got a way lower score than Ant Man 2 LOL.

Audience score is all that matters. This will get high 60 to mid 70 and it will be enough. Audience reception is what counts anyways.so chill out guys

6 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Eh, this film is still destined for a huge opening regardless of response. The hype is too big to kill.

True, but man, the pipe dreams of 200+ and maybe biggest R WW ever are probably not happening without the momentum push from critics. Maybe I'm just doomscrolling and the final tally won't be that bad but man it'd have been nice to have an unambiguous home run like say Civil War. 

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

True, but man, the pipe dreams of 200+ and maybe biggest R WW ever are probably not happening without the momentum push from critics. Maybe I'm just doomscrolling and the final tally won't be that bad but man it'd have been nice to have an unambiguous home run like say Civil War. 

I mean, I’m still not on the “reviews will be bad” train. Maybe not universal acclaim, but the vibe I’m personally getting is somewhere in the 70s, maybe 60s at lowest. Plus like I said last night, Levy is great at making stuff audiences love even if critics don’t. I don’t think we should start panicking box office wise unless the CinemaScore/PostTrack turns out bad.

Plus, the film is about to break numerous records, possibly even the July record, so we should be good regardless.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

Personally think in regards to objectivity in art . Yes I think some movies from filmmaking and craftwise can be judged as bad. 

Sure Art is subjective and every movie has some one who loves it . Just because someone likes it  doesn't disqualify certain criticisms from a movie making perspective.

Movie making ain't math or a science but it has a specific set of competencies and structures that govern it and help bring a movie together. 

We should separate objectivity and subjectivity because they mean different things.

Any movie will need both aspects to work together to  come up with a good product. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belakor said:

Spidey 4 has that safe bet. 

F4 movies have never been a big BO event. 

Two of them were mediocre inputs at best and the third one was a total failure.

But i talked only about 2025 entry

15 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

So Deadpool is cooked? Needs to be in the 80s RT to reach that elusive $200M OW imo 

RT score starts rolling out in 30min or so, but enough Film Twitter critics have chimed in to make me think this is likely mid 60s RT when all is said and done, maybe low 70s if this truly hits the right spots with the more casual critics.  

But even some of the more mainstream critics out there who were primed to like this (or at least want to) came away wanting:

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

As I scan the vibes of the critical commentary, the overarching thread is Way Too Overstuffed.

Now it absolutely has to be said, there are folks out there who want a two hour plus sugar rush*.

* and, yes, I'm exaggerating for effect here

But I think on the whole there was a threshold for the antics of Ryan Reynolds for some critics and this movie sailed waaaaaay past it.

OBLIGATORY COMMENT/HEDGE:  There's gonna be plenty of people who want/love/will dig that sort of stuff.  But for those that don't???

Weeelllll.....

Spoiler

Let's just say I've been getting something of a TROS vibe/flashback from some of the commentary from these reviews.  In a "history doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme" sort of way.

Edited by Porthos

17 minutes ago, blazera said:

Guys why are so manny freaking out?

It is not a surprise trade critics don't like a nostalgia, cameo fest with a multiversal plot. NWH worked because it was the first one of this kind. Today, 3 years later it would habe had a waaay lower score. We need to let the expectation of only 90% scores go. Times have changed. Marvel will never get this numbers again. Look at GotG3. For manny an all time MCU movie. This got a way lower score than Ant Man 2 LOL.

Audience score is all that matters. This will get high 60 to mid 70 and it will be enough. Audience reception is what counts anyways.so chill out guys

This place is the perfect example of what Lunatic means