kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

3 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Nothing.

Taylor Swift fans and MCU fanboys don’t overlap.

I think that would be the point, then. If they don't overlap, then Swifties would come out and see the film specifically for her, thus increasing the OW outside of the Deadpool/MCU fanbase.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I wonder how much Taylor’s cameo would actually add to Deadpool’s OW

Talking to a Swiftie friend of mine who actually dislikes Deadpool, it's my understanding that most of them don't really care about her Hollywood career, that some of them are even against her "wasting her time" with it, but if she were to sing an original song of hers somewhere during the movie, she just might watch it. Or she might wait to watch just a clip of the scene/singing...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

It's a bit of a shame that they've already made the James Bond opening song gag for the second movie. They could have had a lot of fun with it for this one with Taylor, and potentially get a lot of eye balls on it because of that, and although the one with Celine Dion did that just fine, the Swifties could have taken it to another level I guess.

But Taylor's not a Bond singer type.

She's a better fit for singing an empowerment/feel good/we're unbothered by the hate banger for mutants. If she manages a cross between Shake It Off, You Need To Calm Down and Karma we'll have a BOP on our hands. Or Reynolds could go in a completely different direction and ask her to sing a more earnest and emotional song depicting the marginalized experience like Seven 

52 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Nothing.

Taylor Swift fans and MCU fanboys don’t overlap.

This is kinda out of touch considering the thousands of Taylor Swift song tributes to MCU characters, ESPECIALLY Wanda.

There are also a non-negligible number of young women YouTubers who are both Swifties and MCU fangirls like Ashley Ippolito and fictionaldarling. 

Both Marvel and TS are as mainstream as you can get. Obviously there is going to be an overlap. Taylor actually being in the MCU tho will pull in more folks from her fandom who aren't in the intersection of the Venn diagram

26 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Talking to a Swiftie friend of mine who actually dislikes Deadpool, it's my understanding that most of them don't really care about her Hollywood career, that some of them are even against her "wasting her time" with it, but if she were to sing an original song of hers somewhere during the movie, she just might watch it. Or she might wait to watch just a clip of the scene/singing...

Yeah I mean... there's the teeny tiny problem of her not being able to act in films 😅 Which is why a singing role like Dazzler is more up her alley. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

I think that would be the point, then. If they don't overlap, then Swifties would come out and see the film specifically for her, thus increasing the OW outside of the Deadpool/MCU fanbase.

Yeah that was my point. Like realistically how many swift hardcores would actually watch an MCU film OW just for her 

Taylor's cameo will have the same effect on the boxoffice like Harry Styles one on Eternals unless we are to believe that Eternals would have done even worse without it. Which is zero. If her part was substantial like Lady Gaga in ASIB and HoG than there would be an effect. Cats isn't a good example cause the movie looked like shit and was shit. Even proven boxoffice stars have hard time selling something that looks that rancid.

That said, the hook here is DP+Wolverine team not star cameos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Taylor's cameo will have the same effect on the boxoffice like Harry Styles one on Eternals unless we are to believe that Eternals would have done even worse without it. Which is zero. If her part was substantial like Lady Gaga in ASIB and HoG than there would be an effect. Cats isn't a good example cause the movie looked like shit and was shit. Even proven boxoffice stars have hard time selling something that looks that rancid.

That said, the hook here is DP+Wolverine team not star cameos.

Your mistake is assuming she'd only be a cameo in the movie and not in the promotion. Maximum Efforts marketing campaigns are famously creative. They got Rick Moranis out of retirement. If she has a cameo or a song in the movie, she'll be all over the advertising.

6 hours ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

I think it’s going to open in the $175-225M range either way so I doubt her involvement would move the needle more than 5%. 

I don't see any way for it to open above $200m. The highest OW for an R-rated movie is $130m. And MCU is very kid skewing nowadays, and obviously, many kids won't be able to watch it at all. Adult interest in CBMs has waned significantly since then.

This strikes me as a  Doctor Strange 2/Black Panther 2/Guardians 3 scenario where people say it will open above $200m, but it doesn't end up so. $150-$160m OW sounds right for this.

55 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

This strikes me as a  Doctor Strange 2/Black Panther 2/Guardians 3 scenario where people say it will open above $200m, but it doesn't end up so. $150-$160m OW sounds right for this.

WF and MOM both got within 10% of $200M and neither had as much hype as this does. The R rating doesn’t mean anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

WF and MOM both got within 10% of $200M and neither had as much hype as this does. The R rating doesn’t mean anything.

True but the MCU was at a much better place last year vs this year.

I don’t know if it will open to 200M, but I am very bullish about it increasing from the last one. The Wolverine hype alone will help it, and I don’t see MCU bring on a low having that much negative influence on a Deadpool movie.

43 minutes ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

I mean, look at Guardians 3 OW. Near 120m is still good but if it were released last year, it’d be doing 150m opening with ease. Hell before ticket sales that was expectation, even with Quantumidia