75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

11 minutes ago, Doctor Rth and his FBeasts said:

haha about right was going with 27, free examination :)

DS 8.4,Tr 7.9,Arr 5.6

Looks like 75M for Beasts, 17.7M for Strange and 16M for Trolls. That Trolls Saturday increase is insane, it more than doubled the Friday number.

Beasts caused the holdovers to drop almost like a mega opener, but in some cases I guess a 70-80M opener is worse than a mega opener, it will hog the exact same number of screens but will not cause spillover sellouts.

Pretty good Saturday bump for Beasts as well, almost a 30% increase over the Friday-only number.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Looks like 75M for Beasts, 17.7M for Strange and 16M for Trolls. That Trolls Saturday increase is insane, it more than doubled the Friday number.

Beasts caused the holdovers to drop almost like a mega opener, but in some cases I guess a 70-80M opener is worse than a mega opener, it will hog the exact same number of screens but will not cause spillover sellouts.

Pretty good Saturday bump for Beasts as well, almost a 30% increase over the Friday-only number.

How much can arrival make now, with a 3.4 Fri and 5.6 Sat? 

40 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

So they were successful in different ways. How does that matter to us, as moviegoers? Both use their clout to push challenging and interesting fare into theaters. The Weinsteins popularized indie filmmaking in the 90s, and Ellison is giving quality filmmakers the chance to make their visions, in an era when studio tentpoles threaten to destroy low- and mid-budget theatrical releases. 

I'm glad we have both. 

You know I just finished reading "Down & Dirty Pictures" so I'm very biased towards the Weinsteins rn, even though they're horrible human beings. What they started in the '80s, in the midst of studios taking all the power away from directors and chasing the next Top Gun/Rambo, is awe-inspiring. 

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 1

Just now, yjs said:

so where do you see DS and Trolls finish? $215M for DS, $145M for Trolls, does that sound about right? 

Slightly higher for both, 225 and 150 would be my guess. FB final total will be determined by the hold over Thanksgiving.