75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

FB was always going to do great in the UK since its the Potter homeland but big films based on British characters tend to over perform in the UK like Bridget Jones, The BFG, The Jungle Book etc

None of the characters in The Jungle Book are technically British though. It's set in India, it was just written by a British writer (though Kipling was born in India of course).

• Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

None of the characters in The Jungle Book are technically British though. It's set in India, it was just written by a British writer (though Kipling was born in India of course).

The Jungle Book was not the best example although it did over perform in the UK, had it not been for Bridget Jones's Baby, it likely would have been top film of the year until Rogue One. 

It's always interesting to see how films perform in different countries. Fast and Furious 7 and Warcraft's China performances outgrossing domestic was fun to observe but something like About Time which was a British romcom did more business in South Korea than in the UK! 

• Like 3

Billy Lynn’s Long Halftim… Sony Pictures $901,062 690% 1,176 $766   $1,057,673
Inferno Sony Pictures $664,301 -80% 770 $863   $33,397,774

The Magnificent Seven Sony Pictures $192,573 -10% 235 $819   $92,900,377

Don’t Breathe Sony Pictures $11,523 -56% 23 $501   $89,071,222
Edited by terrestrial
to add Classic already was a mistake
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Jungle Book was not the best example although it did over perform in the UK, had it not been for Bridget Jones's Baby, it likely would have been top film of the year until Rogue One. 

It's always interesting to see how films perform in different countries. Fast and Furious 7 and Warcraft's China performances outgrossing domestic was fun to observe but something like About Time which was a British romcom did more business in South Korea than in the UK!

About Time doing so well in South Korea was shocking. I'm just guessing that a lot of the audience in South Korea was just really fascinated by the sci-fi aspect of the film.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

About Time doing so well in South Korea was shocking. I'm just guessing that a lot of the audience in South Korea was just really fascinated by the sci-fi aspect of the film.

I do think romcoms need to make a comeback but apart from The Proposal, nothing has done well apart from OS like Bridget Jones. We need the next generation of comedy writers who could become the new Garry Marshall, Richard Curtis, Nora Ephron etc Nancy Meyers is still active but that's really it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

To give you an idea how poorly BILLY LYNN opened, its per theater average of $766 was just a smidge better than ERNEST RIDES AGAIN.

Remove whatever it made in Thursday previews (50K?) and an equivalent amount for what it made last weekend in BIG CITIES and PTA is prob more like $500

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

1. Well, I do get what's dumb about it. What's dumb about it is that you're basing those predictions of your pessimistic self-biased. A nonsensical self-biased, i might add.

2. And there's the big problem with you and your clubs. Your Anti-Disney clubs, makes no sense. And about you thinking Guardians 2 going lower than $200M? A big fat LOL! In your dreams. No way at all GOTG2 misses $200M with that lead star and that wide appeal. If Doctor Strange can hit the $200M very soon.....then there's no way GOTG2 does lower than that film.

You're just not being as smart as you think.

I've had some pretty spectacular club failures, no question, so rest assured I don't have the notion that i think I'm very good at this. But, if i want to base my predictions to a significant extent on my own biases and what I hope happens, so what? What's the worst that can happen if a club turns out to be way off -  someone like yourself will make a crack about it?

That's not really too much to worry about so I think I'll stick with my approach. Who knows, maybe I'll get better at it? :)

• Like 1

YESSS Manchester increasing to a 64K PTA. 

From Variety: 

“Manchester by the Sea’s” nearly two hour and 20 minute running time may have cut into its opening weekend results, limiting the number of screenings that could be fit into a day. “Moonlight,” which scored the year’s highest per-screen average and is seen as a key Oscar competitor to “Manchester by the Sea,” runs for less than two hours. The film’s length also meant that most of the business took place before 9 p.m., according to Roadside Attractions.

“We were playing almost to capacity,” said Cohen, who notes that the film played well in theaters like the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas in Manhattan, which skews older, and the ArcLight in Hollywood, which draws younger crowds. That signals the film has broad appeal, he argued.

“Manchester by the Sea” will add 39 screens and eight markets to its footprint, debuting in cities such as San Francisco, Boston, and Washington, D.C. It plans to hit its widest saturation of between 800 and 900 theaters on the week of Dec. 16, a date that coincides with Screen Actors Guild Award and Golden Globes nominations.

3 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

What about the Angry Birds movie? :P That one says hi.

It did $349M WW on a $73M budget. That didn't bomb.

It was an animated film that appealed hard to kids. It was an anomaly.

Assassin's Creed is completely different. I'll give you this: not every video game movie will bomb, but most will

38 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think romcoms need to make a comeback but apart from The Proposal, nothing has done well apart from OS like Bridget Jones. We need the next generation of comedy writers who could become the new Garry Marshall, Richard Curtis, Nora Ephron etc Nancy Meyers is still active but that's really it.

Hollywood is too reliant on blockbusters to care about rom coms at this point unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fracfar said:

It was an animated film that appealed hard to kids. It was an anomaly.

Assassin's Creed is completely different. I'll give you this: not every video game movie will bomb, but most will

You can count the number of successful video game to film adaptations with one hand, there has been more successful television to film adaptations in comparison. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Hollywood is too reliant on blockbusters to care about rom coms at this point unfortunately.

They even tried with Adam Sandler rom-coms again. It didn't do that great considering expectations. Just have something that appeals to audiences, people like humor not love anymore. La La Land is a romantic Musical but that's hard to tell whether or not it's a hit.

• Like 3

Outside a date, why would someone watch a rom-com in a cinema instead on their home cinema /... system?

I think people underestimate this question.

Beside, me, female, literally hate rom-coms, you could offer to pay me $1000 and I still wont watch it.# (there might be very very few exceptions, if something special stands out extremely)

Just now, terrestrial said:

Outside a date, why would someone watch a rom-com in a cinema instead on their home cinema /... system?

I think people underestimate this question.

Beside, me, female, literally hate rom-coms, you could offer to pay me $1000 and I still wont watch it.# (there might be very very few exceptions, if something special stands out extremely)

Hell, just watch it on your laptop, or even your phone. Rom-coms aren't something that has to be seen on the big screen. It's usually just a bunch of dialogue.

Going to movies is getting more and more expensive. The only movies that can succeed are must-see, hyped up, event films a la Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Fast & Furious, and just about every movie with a decent narrative, but with eye-popping visuals. This is the new normal

• Like 1

Hacksaw Ridge Lionsgate $6,666,920 -37% 2,883 $2,312   $42,771,212
Tyler Perry’s Boo! A Made… Lionsgate $1,141,538 -68% 1,171 $975   $72,134,359
Middle School: The Worst Ye… Lionsgate $153,737 -43% 207 $743   $19,761,910
Deepwater Horizon Lionsgate $139,876 -64% 201 $696   $60,841,537
American Pastoral Lionsgate $7,538 -84% 20 $377   $533,508
  • Like 1