WrathOfHan

Vice | Opening Wide on Christmas | Let's call it... mixed reviews #DiViceive

15 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm interested to see how this is divisive. Unless it's sympathetic to Cheney or the Bush administration, which I doubt, I can't see how it'll be divisive.

Divisive not only because of the political division, but because the movie, if it is anything like The Big Short, will be wild, fractured, chaotic editing, etc. Not for everyone in that regard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Ok, that's just one guy's opinion. maybe all those prosthetic strike him as caricatures?  As for Amy, since critics are heavily pushing for Regina King win, we'll have to wait for televised awards to see if they go with Amy. 

I’m beginning to wonder if Amy Adams even gets nominated. Supporting actress is very deep this year and it’s possible she gets replaced by someone in a film that’s actually well received. Although who knows about this movie anyways. 

We shall see. 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’m beginning to wonder if Amy Adams even gets nominated. Supporting actress is very deep this year and it’s possible she gets replaced by someone in a film that’s actually well received. Although who knows about this movie anyways. 

We shall see. 

She's a big name and playing a baity character. she should be fine for a nom but win may elude her. still, nothing is over til televised awards start dropping. critics are not the voters. 

42 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

She's a big name and playing a baity character. she should be fine for a nom but win may elude her. still, nothing is over til televised awards start dropping. critics are not the voters. 

Ehh I think any other year I would agree but I feel like supporting actress is pretty deep this year that I could see her not getting a nom. Especially since she got snubbed in Arrival and that movie got several noms. Again that’s IF this movie isn’t well received. If it is then there’s nothing to see here and she’ll most likely get nominated. 

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Ehh I think any other year I would agree but I feel like supporting actress is pretty deep this year that I could see her not getting a nom. Especially since she got snubbed in Arrival and that movie got several noms. Again that’s IF this movie isn’t well received. If it is then there’s nothing to see here and she’ll most likely get nominated. 

Arrival was a bit different as she didn't compete for a win. here, she's competing for a win. But granted, if the movie is awful and competition cutthroat, she might miss out. Though Arrival snub is her narrative to get in this time no matter what.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Arrival was a bit different as she didn't compete for a win. here, she's competing for a win. But granted, if the movie is awful and competition cutthroat, she might miss out. Though Arrival snub is her narrative to get in this time no matter what.

I disagree. She’s been nominated several times. I believe she’s the most nominated actress or actor without a win at the moment. Her Arrival snub won’t be a narrative for her to get nominated as she’s been nominated several different times. 

What I will say though is that if this ends up with good reviews I’d say she has a very good chance of winning because of the Arrival snub though (and because of the sheer times she’s been nominated without a win ala Leo DiCaprio) 

If this gets strong reviews, Adams is locked to win.

If this gets mixed-positive reviews, Adams is still probably winning.

I think a lot of people are looking too much into the NY critics not liking this. Most of the potential divisiveness is from the fact this movie is said to be a scathing attack on the entire Republican Party. Based on Ehrlich's tweets, the main reason he doesn't like it is because he felt hit over the head with the message, and he sure as hell isn't conservative. However, it sounds like something the industry will enjoy (and the SAG screening the other night went well), so we'll see what happens.

Edited by WrathOfHan

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Based on Ehrlich's tweets, the main reason he doesn't like it is because he felt hit over the head with the message, and he sure as hell isn't conservative.

He or the other critic said it felt too much like a Michael Moore movie, and there is no worst thing for a certain kind of "liberal".

Of course it is possible that the movie sucks for other, non-political reasons. Hopefully not, but I will watch it anyway.