WrathOfHan

Vice | Opening Wide on Christmas | Let's call it... mixed reviews #DiViceive

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao, Annapurna pushed the embargo back to Thursday, so all the reviews posted this morning have been taken down. What a fucking mess of a studio.

They’re probably sensing that reviews are gonna be mixed at best and want to hold off for as long as possible. All signs are certainly pointing to this being quite divisive.

6 hours ago, TMP said:

Between this and The Mule looks like the 2 big adult dramas opening wide this month are both duds :L

The Golden Globes noms should help this. And they fact that it got SIX noms and has been getting some solid noms from critics groups should mean it won't be a dud critically... just extremely divisive

Edited by Pinacolada

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

They nominated Nine as well. It feels like nobody has actually taken them seriously ever since the Force Awakens mess. Organization clearly only exists to try and predict the Oscars.

What was The Force Awakens mess at the critics choice?

15 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Based on what I'm seeing on Twitter and Letterboxd I think this is heading towards rotten on RT. About 55%. Completely thrashed ever since the positive opening night. The Critics Choice Prediction Awards and Starfucker Anonymous Awards don't sway me. 

It's interesting... if you check the reviews on letterbox for the past couple of days, the reviews have been more positive than negative, by a solid amount even. The problem is it seems that all the negative reviews are from RT critics whereas only 1 out of every 6 or 7 reviews are RT critics. So a lot of the people liking it aren't critics but all the people disliking it are critics which is unfortunate haha

On 12/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, ThePhasmid said:

Rockwell, Adams, and Bale made it. Best Ensemble at SAG is damn near guaranteed, which gives Bale a decent edge for the Oscars. Cooper looks to be a close second. I don't know how all of this will translate to box office, though. It's still a sobering (yet comedic) indictment against a man most of us want to forget. Not exactly holiday fare for the family.

I do think all those Golden Globes noms should really help with their marketing. With this final marketing push, I'm sure they'll keep pushing that hard. "NOMINATED for SIX GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS" you know what I mean. And I think that should help a lot. Wins at the Globes could also help. I don't think it wins picture CM. But I think it's in strong contention for Actor and Supporting actress. I would think Bale is locked for the win, but I just get the feeling that the HFPA LOVED Green Book and might give it to Viggo Mortensen. I'm sure they'll lean on that more so than the actual reviews for the TV Spots as those will probably be more mixed, tho I think it still should be able to hit fresh on RT by the end. 

*Sigh* I feel like in order to survive the forum needs to lay down all the nuances of film talk on the front page so we don't have to keep wasting time re-explaining them to every newbie stan who's only here to push one movie 

Edited by tribefan695

25 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

*Sigh* I feel like in order to survive the forum needs to lay down all the nuances of film talk on the front page so we don't have to keep wasting time re-explaining them to every newbie stan who's only here to push one movie 

Dick Cheney has stans?!?!?

6 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

What was The Force Awakens mess at the critics choice?

The movie was held so close to the vest that it wasn’t seen by anyone until after the deadline had passed and when it opened to rave reviews, they added it as an 11th Best Picture nominee, reinforcing the notion that they’re just shameless wannabe Oscar predictors. Nobody cares about these awards anymore because they suck and are poorly-produced (I remember one year they actually ran out of trophies to give out well before the show ended). I don’t know why big names continue to show up to them, especially when they’ve been completely irrelevant since they were banished to The CW/A&E.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The movie was held so close to the vest that it wasn’t seen by anyone until after the deadline had passed and when it opened to rave reviews, they added it as an 11th Best Picture nominee, reinforcing the notion that they’re just shameless wannabe Oscar predictors. Nobody cares about these awards anymore because they suck and are poorly-produced (I remember one year they actually ran out of trophies to give out well before the show ended). I don’t know why big names continue to show up to them, especially when they’ve been completely irrelevant since they were banished to The CW/A&E.

Ah that's pretty bad

8 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm not only here to push one movie if you're talking about me... I was just catching up with the thread

On 12/10/2018 at 9:39 PM, filmlover said:

They’re probably sensing that reviews are gonna be mixed at best and want to hold off for as long as possible. All signs are certainly pointing to this being quite divisive.

Yeah, I think this is going to flop. Not sure how many theaters Annapurna is trying to put this in, but I'm expecting ATMITW numbers with a similar theater count.