FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

Just now, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

Im still going by the opinion that TFA sucked the hype out of everything once the pre-sales started.  Nothing broke out since then until TFA was released.

Er, but weren't you just arguing competition is negligible at the box office? ;)

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I honestly think 2016 could stand the test of time as the greatest year in animated feature film history. 

I think 2009 will remain the high watermark for a very long time. Up, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Mary and Max, The Secret of Kells, Coraline, Ponyo, Cloudy, and The Princess and the Frog - a huge variety of animation styles and all really good to fantastic movies. Don't think this year can go up against that at all.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think 2009 will remain the high watermark for a very long time. Up, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Mary and Max, The Secret of Kells, Coraline, Ponyo, Cloudy, and The Princess and the Frog - a huge variety of animation styles and all really good to fantastic movies. Don't think this year can go up against that at all.

For me Zootopia, Kubo, and Moana beat all of those, most with ease. Dory beats all but Up and Coraline. Verdict is still out on Sing, but some early reception seems to suggest a new quality benchmark for Illumination. Ponyo remains the only Miyazaki film I don't care for and I thought Kells was just ok, so I'm guessing I will like The Red Turtle and Your Name more as far as anime/foreign goes. In terms of critical reception, both are pretty evenly matched though if Sing gets raves then this year has the edge.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I've seen 3 of those.

Up: Pretty good, but much too sentimental for my taste.

Coraline: Actually a great movie that I should rewatch sometime.

Princess and the Frog: Dull as shit, and a wasted opportunity for 2D animation's return.

2016's animated features measure up well, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'd have to take a closer look regarding the question of diversity of animation style. But this year has six films with very strong critical reception: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, The Red Turtle, Your Name (so far), and My Life as a Zucchini (so far). From 2009 only two films have a similar level of critical reception: Up and Mary and Max.

If we relax the criteria for 2009 slightly to allow the inclusion of the rest of the films you mentioned, then this year would also have April, Finding Dory, Miss Hokusai, and The Little Prince. So a total of ten well-received films compared to eight.

It may be that you prefer the films from 2009, but if the question is what is generally considered to be the high watermark, I'd give 2016 the edge. Could very well be the clear winner, pending further reviews for Your Name and My Life as a Zucchini.

• Like 2