FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

BFG and AI flopped financially 

BFG made its budget back so its a disappointment but it is far from a flop. And AI definitely was not a flop. It made about 270 million dollars off of a one hundred million dollar budget.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

BFG made its budget back so its a disappointment but it is far from a flop. And AI definitely was not a flop. It made about 270 million dollars off of a one hundred million dollar budget.

It made 235M on a 100M budget. It did ok.

The BFG was a mega bomb, tho. 177M WW on a 140M budget is brutal.

Just now, CJohn said:

It made 235M on a 100M budget. It did ok.

The BFG was a mega bomb, tho. 177M WW on a 140M budget is brutal.

Really? That is considered brutal? I don't think a flop is when you make your money back. I guess you're definition and my definition of a flop are severely different.

• Like 1

I know BFG getting horribly butt the point of my post was that he said that he had his fair share of flops and that just simply is not true. BFG might be his biggest financial disaster but he definitely has not had his fair share of flops. He's also been around since the 1970s so to be directing for 40 years and have one film that out and out floppedt is a pretty damn good track record.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Really? That is considered brutal? I don't think a flop is when you make your money back. I guess you're definition and my definition of a flop are severely different.

A flop to me is Ghostbusters. BFG is a huge bomb.

They didn't make their money back. 140M doesn't include the marketing budget. And distributors only get half the money back, the rest stays with theaters. A movie with a 140M budget needs to do at least 300M WW to get anywhere near profit. And even 300M WW would only ensure profit sometime after his homevideo/VOD release.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/steven-spielberg-bfg-box-office-flop-1201808161/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/07/04/box-office-the-bfg-could-be-steven-spielbergs-first-outright-commercial-flop/#5fa90cc751d6

12 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Just curious butt what would you consider a flop of Steven Spielberg's?

Munich was one although it was critically acclaimed, The BFG which I really liked wasn't financially successful and 1941 was a flop as well

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

They didn't make their money back. 140M doesn't include the marketing budget. And distributors only get half the money back, the rest stays with theaters. A movie with a 140M budget needs to do at least 300M WW to get anywhere near profit. And even 300M WW would only ensure profit sometime after his homevideo/VOD release.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/steven-spielberg-bfg-box-office-flop-1201808161/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/07/04/box-office-the-bfg-could-be-steven-spielbergs-first-outright-commercial-flop/#5fa90cc751d6

Sometimes though, a good movie prevails. There's a long list of movies that didn't do well at the box office, but became success stories financially. 

BFG will be around for years as it's actually really good. 

• Like 1

Munich was great.

I know when I make my Aaron Rodgers films I want to have a scene where Jake Gyllenhaal is having sex with Olivia Munn and is sweating profusely and shouting in despair as he thinks back to that 2014 NFC Championship game.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Munich was great.

I know when I make my Aaron Rodgers films I want to have a scene where Jake Gyllenhaal is having sex with Olivia Munn and is sweating profusely and shouting in despair as he thinks back to that 2014 NFC Championship game.

:sadben:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Munich was great.

3eue6GG.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Munich was great.

:apocalypse:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

You're not seriously explaining to me how the box office works are you buddy? You're not seriously telling me that the budget doesn't include marketing and that the producers only get half of the box office gross. Please tell me you are not telling me that. I've been following the box office longer than you've been alive buddy LOL

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

You're not seriously explaining to me how the box office works are you buddy? You're not seriously telling me that the budget doesn't include marketing and that the producers only get half of the box office gross. Please tell me you are not telling me that. I've been following the box office longer than you've been alive buddy LOL

LOL sorry :lol: 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I pretty much never tell anything about my personal life on here, so no one would know if I got laid or not or have a girlfriend or not ;) 

We know you're too busy stanning for shit like Monster Trucks to have a girlfriend :redcapes: 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

We should keep in mind though that the truth is we don't know exactly how much theaters get on any given movie. The percentage is probably constantly in flux, 50/50 is just a good rule of thumb so we go by it. But yeah, BFG for sure wasn't profitable or close to it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Munich was great.

You're a sick man Pink.

• Like 1